Poll for pre-recall Springfield XD-S owners

This is a discussion on Poll for pre-recall Springfield XD-S owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those with a pre-recall XD-S, what has been your experience? As with most recalls, owners' comments are all over the map. Some have reported ...

View Poll Results: For pre-recall XD-S owners, which describes your experience?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I sent mine in, it was a good experience

22 84.62%
  • I sent mine in, it was a bad experience

0 0%
  • I have not sent mine in

1 3.85%
  • None of the above (please explain)

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Poll for pre-recall Springfield XD-S owners

For those with a pre-recall XD-S, what has been your experience?

As with most recalls, owners' comments are all over the map. Some have reported that they sent theirs in, and it came back better than ever. Some reported that the recall updates made their pistol worse (harder/gritty trigger, for example). And some have not sent theirs in for the recall update.

Please vote and post comments.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I sent mine in. It came back with a *slightly* heavier trigger. But I cut my handgun shooting teeth on revolvers, so it's not a big deal to me. It's also not a target pistol (but still very accurate). I think you get a free 7 round mag as well.

Remember, this is a SD weapon first. It's not a gun with a light, smooth, crisp trigger that breaks like a fine glass rod.

I also had a light strike after I got it back, so I disassembled the slide, removed all dirt and oil from the striker channel and striker, and it's been 100% since.

The gun can "fire two" or slam fire without the fix. It's rare, and you have to do something rather unusual, but it can happen.
    Cremator75 and gatorbait51 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Mine was flawless before the recall and it's been flawless since. The trigger is a bit heavier post recall but it doesn't noticeably affect my ability to shoot with defensive accuracy at 10 yards and under. I've never shot it at a target farther away than 10 yards.

It's my summer EDC.

My only regret is that I didn't wait for the 9mm version. I think that would be a better choice than the .45.

Fitch
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I sent mine it the trigger pull was a little heavier when it came out but has smoothed out since. The free extra capacity mag they give you when it comes back is nice but it took just about 2 months. But overall a good experience.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I sent mine in and I'm like PEF and Fitch, the trigger is maybe a little heavier and maybe a little more creep but I'm not overly trigger pull sensitive so it's no biggie for me. I sent mine in the first couple of days of the recall and it took maybe 45 days to get it back. It was clean as a whistle when I sent it in and dirty as sin when it came back. They apparently did a lot of testing with the first few batches of customers pistols that were sent in.

Mine hasn't been flawless though, far from it. Before the recall I had an unholy number of light strikes and double feeds. Swapping the mag springs for Tripp Research 1911 springs, part no. MS14C048 with 1/2 coil cut off the bottom of the spring, solved my problems and it's been flawless since. With the Tripp Research mag springs I can shoot mine any way I want and it feeds flawlessly. Two finger grip, right side up, upside down, sideways, whatever way I hold it she runs flawlessly.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

WPD
    Mine came back with what appeared to be a slightly heavier trigger pull. Not really a big deal as it softened up with use. I took 3 months for me to get it back once I had sent it in. In spite of the long turn around time I must say I was very impressed with Springfield's pro active customer service regarding this entire recall. They sent me a prepaid return label for shipping and of course also paid for return shipping. Every Friday I received an email regarding the progress on my pistol. And of course they sent me 1 higher capacity magazine for free for my trouble. From a customer service standpoint I thing they did an outstanding job. I have never received this level of customer support, or service, from any other firearm manufacturer ever. Great job.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwrkr221 View Post
    I sent mine in and I'm like PEF and Fitch, the trigger is maybe a little heavier and maybe a little more creep but I'm not overly trigger pull sensitive so it's no biggie for me. I sent mine in the first couple of days of the recall and it took maybe 45 days to get it back. It was clean as a whistle when I sent it in and dirty as sin when it came back. They apparently did a lot of testing with the first few batches of customers pistols that were sent in.

Mine hasn't been flawless though, far from it. Before the recall I had an unholy number of light strikes and double feeds. Swapping the mag springs for Tripp Research 1911 springs, part no. MS14C048 with 1/2 coil cut off the bottom of the spring, solved my problems and it's been flawless since. With the Tripp Research mag springs I can shoot mine any way I want and it feeds flawlessly. Two finger grip, right side up, upside down, sideways, whatever way I hold it she runs flawlessly.
    Mine didn't have a problem so I didn't mention it. My friend's did - it acted just like yours. He put in the same springs you did and it fixed his problem. Rather than wait for the other foot to fall, I ordered two of those springs, trimmed off a half coil just like you did, and put them in my two 5 round magazines. I don't know if they did any good because the gun didn't have a problem before the springs or after. But they certainly fixed my friend's problem.

The springs in my 7 round magazines are stock and work just fine. If I ever have a problem I'll get the longer spring from Tripp and stick it in.

Fitch
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

A lot of people have reported the light strikes and some report the double feeds, especially people with smaller hands, women in particular. Men can fire the XDs and it may run flawlessly then hand it to their wife and it gives lots of light strikes.

I'm glad there's a fix for the light strikes, it's a great little pistol. I can't help but think the SA factory has had some sort of quality control problem with their mag spring production.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I got mine the same week the recall was announced. Never fired sent it and it took a couple months to get back. Early reports of light primer strikes started coming in and I didn't want to deal with issues in carry gun.
    The shield had some issues and a recall as well so I picked up a kahr that has been on the market longer and the boughs worked out. Near a 1000 RDS without a single issue.

When the XDS came back I sold it having never fired it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I sent mine in the first day of the recall. It is about the same as before. The trigger is not great compared to my 1911s, but is acceptable for a pocket BUG. It has bee flawless firing at the range. I am happy with it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwrkr221 View Post
    A lot of people have reported the light strikes and some report the double feeds, especially people with smaller hands, women in particular. Men can fire the XDs and it may run flawlessly then hand it to their wife and it gives lots of light strikes.

I'm glad there's a fix for the light strikes, it's a great little pistol. I can't help but think the SA factory has had some sort of quality control problem with their mag spring production.
    The problem with the spring isn't production, it's design. The fact that the stronger spring works suggests stock spring isn't strong enough. The Tripp spring is heavier wire and definitely stronger than the stock spring.

The theory is that the light strikes are caused by the slide not going all the way into battery. The light primer strikes occurring very slightly of center is the evidence that diagnosis is based on. The failure to return to battery is due to increased drag. What drag?

The theory is the cartridge just below the one being fed isn't held in position at the back of the magazine. It's nose is moved forward and thus forced to move slightly up and out of the mag while the slide is coming forward and the bottom corner of the breech face and the bottom of the slide drags across the nose of the top cartridge in the mag. Friction of the top cartridge in the mag dragging on the slide is hypothesized to be what holds the slide just out of battery. The idea behind why the stronger spring works is that the additional push adds enough friction to hold the top cartridge in place so it doesn't tend to follow the one being fed and get dragged forward.

It made enough sense that, after it fixed the problem in my friends gun and resulted in centered primer strikes, I bought the heavier mag springs, installed them, and after they worked for a couple hundred rounds I left them in and decided the gun was good to go. It helped that the gun hadn't had a problem before the new springs but I kept waiting for it to show up.

Fitch
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I gotta get around to it.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I sent mine in as well and the experience was fine. As others mentioned, the trigger was heavier on mine after it returned. I did prefer the trigger prior though it's not unbearable in it's current state.

As before I have run several hundred rounds of target and SD ammo through it and not a problem.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

bought mine the week before the recall and sent it in the next day. Took 90 days. Frustrating experience but I survived it. Its a very good gun so all is forgiven.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by sontag
    For those with a pre-recall XD-S, what has been your experience?
    It was about this time last year that the recall was announced and I sent mine in ASAP. Didn't get it back until Nov 1st, so the wait was much longer than I would have liked. But I have to say that the trigger smoothed out very nicely after a little dry firing and some range time. Since it's a safety issue, it was something I wasn't going to ignore.

I generally carry my 38 snub in the long hot Texas summers, but the XDs is a fine wintertime carry for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links