Question About Holsters & Comment

This is a discussion on Question About Holsters & Comment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a Sig P245 which I love and enjoy shooting.I leave my Sig in my Holster most of the time and today (as everyday) ...

Thread: Question About Holsters & Comment

Question About Holsters & Comment

I own a Sig P245 which I love and enjoy shooting.I leave my Sig in my Holster most of the time and today (as everyday) generally get it out to shoot it and noticed light rust on the inside of my nylon holster.

It is kept inside the house beside my bed so humidity is controlled somewhat by the fact that I have central air(or thought it was?). At night I take it out to lay on my bedstand,then re~holster it during the day.

I never noticed before that nylon holsters have a plastic liner on the inside and the moisture no~doubt gets trapped between the plastic and gun.I therefore took and opened the holster up and sewed in a piece of SUEDE leather so as to get it away from leather.Seems to work great.

Why on earth do they place the plastic liner in those nylon holsters? Larry
    Last edited by LarryP245; January 16th, 2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typos due to bad keyboard

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    not knowing what brand , it may be a stiffener, or maybe a part of the padding inside the nylon . Try lightly oiling your gun , either with a dry lube, or regular gun oil.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As Rocky said, it could be a stiffener but if it's an IWB holster it could also be a sweatshield to protect the weapon as well. Keep in mind that suede will hold contaminants more than nylon or smooth leather. A little grit in a suede lined holster can easily scratch up an otherwise beautiful gun finish.

If you'll post your question in the "Concealed Carry Holsters..." Forum instead I'm sure you'll get great input from the professional holstermakers we have on here.
    Jack

I have kept my #1 Norinco in a Bianchi for years and I have not had any problems. I live on an island in Michigan but it might not be as humid as your locale. Regards, Richard

Model M12 – Universal Military Holster:

Thank You Fellows

for the replies.I will post that question in there.Never has rust problems before.Larry

What I do everyday... Which ever gun I carry I have a good holster that I carry and a cheap nylon padded IWB that fits all my guns. When I take the gun off I put it in the nylon holster. This way if the leather (or kydex, or nylon) of the carry holster get sweaty the gun and holster can quickly dry. Keeping the gun in contact with the wet holdster will lead to problems. I also clean my carry guns at least every 2 week weather I shoot them or not.

Get a silicone cloth, wipe the gun at the end of the day and put in the "drawer holster".
    Last edited by Mtbiker; January 18th, 2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: rewritten in English
    -Biker

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    You should never store a gun in a holster for any extended period for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
    You should never store a gun in a holster for any extended period for that reason.
    "oh no, i suck again!" mine live in kydex holsters; one in the nightstand, the other is carried either on me or in a briefcase.

Links