I chose the gun that I'll be spending my tax return on!

I chose the gun that I'll be spending my tax return on!

This is a discussion on I chose the gun that I'll be spending my tax return on! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally decided that I'd go with the Springfield Armory XD45. I went to my favorite gun shop here in Los Anchorage, and plunked down ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I chose the gun that I'll be spending my tax return on!

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,972

    I chose the gun that I'll be spending my tax return on!

    I finally decided that I'd go with the Springfield Armory XD45. I went to my favorite gun shop here in Los Anchorage, and plunked down 140.00 as a layaway deposit. I only have 359.00 more to go. I'll post pics when I bring it home. I can't wait!!!!!! Right now, all I can do is drool over pictures of it, and see what cool accessories I can find.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,352
    Cool let us know when ya get it and how it shoots

  3. #3
    Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    500
    Here... drool over a pic of mine too. Excellent shooter.


  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,248
    Good for you! Does anyone know if those can be readily converted to .400 corbon with a just a barrell replacement? Or do they need springs too, or are they simply not compatible?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

  5. #5
    Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    500
    It is my opinion that NO carry gun should ever be converted. You've basically turned it into an experimental range gun and it should not be used as a personal protection gun once converted. You just might up dead if you do.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array slimjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    685
    Now that's putting your tax return to good use. Congrats!
    My wife is taking our tax return and using it to buy new furniture...

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    Here... drool over a pic of mine too. Excellent shooter.

    You would post a pic wouldn't you! Now my keyboard is all wet. I'm not too crazy about the 5" Tactical models, but nice pistol though.

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    It is my opinion that NO carry gun should ever be converted. You've basically turned it into an experimental range gun and it should not be used as a personal protection gun once converted. You just might up dead if you do.
    Absolutely 100% agreed.

    Let me clarify why I was asking. Spyderdude had started this discussion back in the "help me spend my tax refund thread". One of the uses that he had specified was possibly hunting. Several of us had said to look into a 10mm or some sort of revolver. Now I bring up the 400 corbon idea because that round does have many similarities to the 10 mm bullets. It is a very similar barrell switchout to .40s&w/.357sig. I only know of the sig P220 that is considered 100% ready for a .400 corbon, just change the barrell. I was asking if anyone knew if the xd45 had the same ability or not. I simply don't know.

    The .400 corbon is an interesting round. Trying to find ammo for it is like going on safari, though, so I have never had a chance to even try one.

    Thanks One Eyed Fatman for the good reminder. I personally would not use a "conversion" for self defense. However, a firearm that has been manufactured and intended by the manufacturer for simple switchouts like the barrell, that should be fine.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,972
    I did mention I rarely hunt if at all, so finding a gun that was good for hunting as well as self defense wasn't a big thing for me. Eventually I will get a big bore wheelgun to take hunting (not no Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum though). Besides the XD45 is one sweet looking gun, and from what I've read in magazines and on the net, its a great gun for the money. I know I won't regret getting it.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array maclean3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,085
    I had one on layaway at one point. Through a series of events I ended up cancelling it but they DO feel very, very sweet in my hands. I've made plans to pick up a G19 as my next carry gun but I wouldn't turn down a good deal on an XD9 (I need to downsize from the .45 now ).
    Jack

  11. #11
    Member Array GeorgiaGlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    130
    One eyed fatman,

    What kind of holster is that pictured?
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

  12. #12
    Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    500
    That's the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster. Very nice OWB holster which causes very little wear on a guns finish.

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Absolutely 100% agreed.

    Let me clarify why I was asking. Spyderdude had started this discussion back in the "help me spend my tax refund thread". One of the uses that he had specified was possibly hunting. Several of us had said to look into a 10mm or some sort of revolver. Now I bring up the 400 corbon idea because that round does have many similarities to the 10 mm bullets. It is a very similar barrell switchout to .40s&w/.357sig. I only know of the sig P220 that is considered 100% ready for a .400 corbon, just change the barrell. I was asking if anyone knew if the xd45 had the same ability or not. I simply don't know.

    The .400 corbon is an interesting round. Trying to find ammo for it is like going on safari, though, so I have never had a chance to even try one.

    Thanks One Eyed Fatman for the good reminder. I personally would not use a "conversion" for self defense. However, a firearm that has been manufactured and intended by the manufacturer for simple switchouts like the barrell, that should be fine.
    I see where your coming from now. Check out the xdtalk forum and you may get a good answer over there. But please stay out of the political section, some two year olds want to own that part of the forum.

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,972
    I came into a little extra cash, so looks like I'll be picking up my new XD45 tomorrow. I can't wait!

  15. #15
    Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I did mention I rarely hunt if at all, so finding a gun that was good for hunting as well as self defense wasn't a big thing for me. Eventually I will get a big bore wheelgun to take hunting (not no Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum though). Besides the XD45 is one sweet looking gun, and from what I've read in magazines and on the net, its a great gun for the money. I know I won't regret getting it.
    May I suggest a Ruger SRH in 454 casull? I love mine and it's well constructed......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.


    "...be water, my friend."

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I chose my CCW!
    By dkrheaume in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
  2. Need help spending money
    By Maverickx50 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
  3. Need help spending less than $300 for a pocket gun.
    By V8 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: July 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
  4. Exercising the spending power of gun owners
    By bigiceman in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
  5. My little spending spree.
    By maclean3 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Search tags for this page

buying a gun with your tax return

,

corbon 500 in anchorage ak

,

gun stores in anchorage ak that have layaway

Click on a term to search for related topics.