Which Gun to Go For...Need Advice

This is a discussion on Which Gun to Go For...Need Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm dying to buy a new gun. I've wanted a small compact 1911 in .45 for a long time but also recently handled an SP101 ...

Thread: Which Gun to Go For...Need Advice

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I'm dying to buy a new gun. I've wanted a small compact 1911 in .45 for a long time but also recently handled an SP101 in .357 that they must have designed specifically to fit me.

I already have a Kahr P9, a full size 1911 and a J frame .38 so I'm pretty well covered. The problem is funds.

I like Kimber's Ultra CDP II in compact but I need to keep this to 500 or so.

So here's option 1
    1. Buy the SP101 and over the next year or so, save up and send it to Gemini customs for an action job and bead blasting; beautiful.

2. Buy a Springfield Armory GI micro compact, then over the next two years have new sights, beaver tail, etc added and then eventually send it to springfield to have the front strap checkered and the gun refinished. I like that it's steel and would end up all black. I know this would end up costing me more than their loaded models in the long run but I could do it in stages. If ONLY springfield would offer a black compact 1911 with a 4" barrel.

I know the SP101 will be too heavy for pocket carry for me so it'll only be for IWB but then I might as well carry my Kahr. I'm trying to justify that the SP101 would be a good fishing hiking sidearm. But my full size SA 1911 isn't too bad for that.

Anyway, I've got about $500 now and am struggling. Your opinions would be appreciated. When you guys give opinions you also tend to give up a lot of interesting facts I don't seem to think of.

Oh and I'm thinking a MaxCon V for either weapon.

Thanks All & God Bless
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; January 17th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Administrator
    you have no immediate need for a new gun, so I would bank the 500 so its not burning a hole in my pocket, and continue saving and shopping. Sooner or later your money and wants will balance out.
    You'll never be happy if you don't buy what you want.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Gideon, was the name of my paternal great-grandfather. I have gone the custom route and I have purchased a Dan Wesson Commander with all the bells and whistles. Both paths work well but the later takes all the fun of putting a gun together with your specs! Regards, Richard

Patience is a virtue

Essentially you are debating between two options - spending $1,000 a year from now on something you want (Kimber CDP Ultra .45 plus good holster), or spending $500 now on something you don't want (Springfield bare bones model) and another $500 over the next year to convert it into something you want.

I've discovered over time that money spent customizing a gun doesn't increase the gun's value proportionately. If you spend $500 customizing a $500 gun, the resulting gun probably won't be worth $1,000, but rather $650. That's just the way the market works, for some reason. On the other hand, Kimber CDPs hold their value pretty well, I've noticed.

So I'd advise patience, and waiting until you can afford what you want - the Kimber CDP Ultra.

Save up and get the gun you really want.

Over the years I've bought a lot of guns because I had the money or because I thought they were a good deal at the time. Lately I've been selling them to fund the purchases I really should have made in the first place. My safe will be half as full but I'll have the exact guns I want and they will all be set up exactly the way I want them.

I also spend more money on training every year than I do on guns so my real advice is to make training a priority before buying another gun that will sit in your safe but I DO understand the desire to shop for new hardware.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

Gideon:
    If you're not opposed to buying used you should be able to find a parkerized, "Loaded" SA Champion in your price range if you look around a bit. That was my first SA btw - sure would like to have that one back too!
    Jack

I am not a .45 fan so I would opt for the Gp101 as long as a S&W revolver was not a possibility, with the extra money I would get into reloading. Byt this is just me. I would highly suggest putting a S&W 686 in your hand, yes I am bias towards S&W revolvers, not their autos.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Talking

You can get a NIB 3" SP101 for $400 ( internet sale )

Have it worked on later
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Well you've all given a lot of good ideas. I'm leaning toward the SP101

First becasue it fits my hand better than any other revolver. I do think S&Ws are great but the 686 is just a tiny bit big and heavy and I would not be comfortable carrying it concealed. The SP101 fits GREAT and could be concealed (on me ) with a good IWB and belt. I don't have a .357 and only have a .38 J frame Airweight so this would let me shoot .357 and would be a good fishing, hiking side arm too.

As for the 1911, I appreciate the advise to wait and get what I want. I REALLY want a Springfield loaded that has a 4" barrel on an officer's frame and right now they just don't make one. The Kimber CDP II Compact is precisely the gun size I want but that'll have to wait. I'd also like one that is all black. Funny thing is SA used to make an all black loaded model like I want. I keep looking on line to see one but haven't run across one. I do like the SA micro compacts and may end up ultimately going with that.

If I ever get a 686 or GP100, i'd probably go with a 6" so I could use it for whitetail and at that point I'd be inclined to go with the .41

So, I think it'll be the SP101 and then sometime in 07 I'll get it worked on by Gemini to smooth/lighten the action and a few other things.

If any of you carry a 3" SP101 IWB, I'd love to know what holsters you like. I've looked at Andrew's Leather model called the McDaniel and like it but the leather looks thick.

Anyway, thanks guys for the input and suggestings! It's fun reading what you guys are thinking about buying! You can tell it's tax season!

God Bless
    Gideon

You can carry the sp101 in a front pocket holster. I do....
    you'll enjoy that gun...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The lure of the Sp-101 is great! For it is a great bread-butter powerhouse for the street or trial. Carefull grasshopper for the force is strong in this Sp-101!

Yes fowler, it truly is

I held it again today. It feels so natural and good in my hand and already has a trigger that is WAY better than my S&W Airweight J frame. I love the looks of it too. I also held a little GI Micro .45 and, well, I sure liked that too.

I'm consumed with lust, not a good thing for a preacher!

At least I resisted plunking the money down. I'm going to wait over the weekend to think it over. I would like one .357 but would also like a small .45 I could carry. My full size SA is too big for me to comfortably conceal but I do like it for the range.

But that SP101? One thing I hadn't thought of is that if I did get it customized by Gemini with a bead blast finish, then it wouldn't be a good knock'en around gun for the woods. I've heard bead blast finishes get scratched somewhat easily and the only way to clean it up is with another round of bead blasting.

So If I get it, I might leave it stock but just have an action job on it and I would install one of the small wonder sites from Gemini.

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Take a look at the XD 45 Compact. $539.99 and 10-13 rounds of .45 ACP goodness.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

go for the springfield emp in 45 gap
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

XD's at too thick for my hands. Now the EMP in .45 gap sounds good but I'm worried about the long term viability of the gap. Cost isn't a huge concern but it does matter a bit. The cheaper the ammo the more I can have fun.

I do like the idea of a .45 in such a small package....

Anyone heard anything about when SA might release it?

Thanks all, I've decided to get the SP101 for now. It'll give me two revolvers in .38, one that can shoot .357, one airweight, one heavier with the longer barrel. And then someday, maybe the GP100 w/4" and adjustable...

I'll get the compact or micro .45 sooner or later but will wait for now until I really know just what I want and I'm hoping I'll be able someday to buy it from SA. Just like them.

Thanks for all of the input!!!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Sponsored Links