Heres a poser for the board

This is a discussion on Heres a poser for the board within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Jchoo, asked for info about purchasing a handgun from a friend. I told him to take a bore light, check the bore, and if the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres a poser for the board

Jchoo, asked for info about purchasing a handgun from a friend. I told him to take a bore light, check the bore, and if the bore and exterior looked okay to buy it. Others told Jchoo to field strip the weapon and give it a thorough inspection.

How many of our posters do what I said and how many field strip the weapon and give it a thorough inspection? Do you field strip the weapon and give it a thorough inspection at a gunshop? I know of few shops that will allow this. I rely on the integrity of the shop I deal with and to date I have been okay. Regards, Richard

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In a fiew shops i will take their word on a used gun since over the years they have never mis represented anything . Most of the time tho if i cannot at least field strip it i dont need it . Fences make good neighbors , and a close inspection makes good shops and customers.

New guns tho I dont expect to be able to tear down before purchace.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I will only buy a used gun if I know where it came from, or if I'm prepared for a complete rebuild. New guns, no, I wont detail strip it, no need to. It is a little disrespectful to do so unless your 99% sure your buying the gun.

For the most part, you can tell what you need to tell with a simple field strip.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just as Redneck said. If it is a used gun, I will do a rather complete inspection. I am not talking a detail strip, but I want to at least be able to see the frame rails and the area around the firing pin. I want to be able to look for excessive wear or any cracks.

If it is new, I might ask the seller to take it down if I have any reservations. Otherwise, a flashlight inspection is in order and that is about it.

As long as the shop will allow it, I strip the slide off and take the barrel out and give the internals a good inspection.
    If the gun shop will not allow it, I don't buy from them.

If it is a used gun, then they really shouldn't mind me stripping it or at least having one of their employees do it for me so I can inspect the gun. If they are reluctant to allow this type of inspection it gives me the feeling that they are trying to hide something with the gun and I wouldn't feel comfortable about buying it from them.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; January 17th, 2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I am sure the reason most shops are hesitant to allow you to strip a weapon is their sales staff are not as competent/savvy as our posters. My worst buys have been from mail order suppliers of used weapons. Two out of three of these lemons have turned out well, the third was a used Spanish Military Carbine that would have made a good boat anchor. The pictures of the lemons are posted below and they are now reliable tack drivers! Regards, Richard

Sistema Colt 1927:

Balester-Molina:

Senior Moderator
    If I can't field strip or have the store strip it a used gun then I can't buy it.

I see that there is no need to inspect a new gun this closely. I won't detail strip a used one but at least be able to look for wear, pitting, cracks, and genearl condition.

On anything but new guns, I always insist on a full field strip in order to properly evaluate everything. Can't know unless you see it. That goes for consignment items in a shop, items at a gun show, or items that friends have to sell.

That said, anything else is merely a matter of percentages. Either do it or don't. Not doing a field strip doesn't mean there will be any problems. It's just one more assurance of "quality" of what you're buying.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Since my first .22 as a kid, I've never bought a used gun, always new. While that rules out "oldies", I think in the long run it's paid off, since I've never bought someone else's problems....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I've never bought a used gun at a gun store, and probably never will. I've never bought one from an individual, either, but I would if I knew the person, and knew that he took care of the gun. I would probably field strip it and check for cleanliness and damage, including the bore.

When I buy a gun(always new) I always have the store order one for me from the distributor. I like knowing that I'm the first person to shoot it(aside from the person at the factory, who tested it), and that it hasn't been operated incorrectly, or maybe dropped by a "shopper".

I recently bought a Beretta 85 in nickel that I did not field strip. I inspected it closely and lucked out but there was a guy right behind me looking to buy it if I set it down, so I bought it on the spot. Turned out to be at least 90% (just a little finish wear where the barrel slides through the frame) and is 100% functional.

Of course, I trust Beretta a lot more than many other manufacturers and it is an open slide firearm. For another maker and/or non-open slide, I would insist on an inspection.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Of course, I trust Beretta a lot more than many other manufacturers and it is an open slide firearm. For another maker and/or non-open slide, I would insist on an inspection.
    I'm just curious about your logic here; What more can you see with Beretta's open slide that you can't with a standard slide? (aside from the top of the barrel)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Any gun I buy I will field strip and re-assemble in the shop before I leave. Partly to inspect it, partly to make sure I know how. While I'm looking for guns I'd usualy just use a light, but if I'm planing to put money on the table I want to look at the wear surfaces, and down the barrel. I aslo want to dry fire the peice and see how the trigger is.

AE

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    As long as the shop will allow it, I strip the slide off and take the barrel out and give the internals a good inspection.
    If the gun shop will not allow it, I don't buy from them.

If it is a used gun, then they really shouldn't mind me stripping it or at least having one of their employees do it for me so I can inspect the gun. If they are reluctant to allow this type of inspection it gives me the feeling that they are trying to hide something with the gun and I wouldn't feel comfortable about buying it from them.
    +1 my feelings exactly.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I know that in the shop i work at part time we do not mind field stripping of the used guns. If it is a new one we will not let them field strip it until after they buy it. We will also field strip it for them if they ask us to show them how. But, again, not until after they buy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links