Looking To Buy A New Gun?

This is a discussion on Looking To Buy A New Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; want to get some info from you guys. i want to buy a new gun to carry ( sig 229 equniox ) or ( hk ...

want to get some info from you guys. i want to buy a new gun to carry ( sig 229 equniox ) or ( hk compact tactical 45 with lem trigger or not? ) lets here of some info on them thanks!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SIG 229; January 17th, 2007 at 12:06 PM.

I am a HUGE Sig fan. I love them. I carry a P239 and am going to buy a P229 in .40 cal very soon. If you have the money and that isn't an issue, then I would always go with the Sig.

I think the Equinox is a beautiful pistol and it has the added benefit of being a Sig so you know it is reliable.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    To be honest - the search feature should be your friend as we have had discussions on these previously.

I have three SIG's and would go with the 229 - but that's just me!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by SIG 229 View Post
    want to get some info from you guys. i want to buy a new gun to carry ( sig 229 equniox ) or ( hk compact tactical 45 ) lets here of some info on them thanks!
    I would see a couple of issues here that might influence your decision. The first is caliber, as you are comparing a .45 caliber H&K USP compact with a Sig P229 that is probably a .40 caliber gun (you didn't specify). Do you have a preference for one caliber over the other? I personally use both, and think that both are quite effective for defense. So if you had a bias toward one caliber that might help you in the decision.

Another factor is weight, since the gun is for carry. The Sig P229 weighs about 32 ounces empty, while the USP 45C goes about 25 ounces empty. The difference is 7 ounces, or almost half a pound. I have both a Sig P229 and a USP compact (.40 caliber) and find the USP easier to carry because of the weight difference. So if you are weight sensitive on your carry gun, this could be important.

A third factor is the type of trigger. The Sig has a great trigger and is either DA/SA with decocker or DAO. The USP can also be DA/SA or DAO, but has a manual thumb safety doubling as a decocker, and can be carried cocked and locked (the Sig can't be carried cocked and locked). So your trigger preference on a carry gun might influence your choice.

Then there is the whole threaded barrel issue - the USP seems to have a threaded barrel, in case you like silencers, while the Sig does not. Will you ever use a silencer?

It comes down to personal preference on the factors above. Both guns are excellent in functioning and quality, so you won't really get a bad gun with either of them.

how about the lem trigger on the hk i am new to it ?

I have a USP Compact .45 (not the CT though) and I really love it. As pogo2 mentioned you can get a lot of different safety/decocker options for the USP, including some variants that allow cocked and locked carry, which the SIG doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    If you have the money and that isn't an issue, then I would always go with the Sig.
    If he's considering a SIG and an HK (probably the most expensive production pistols out there other than a high end 1911) he better have a big chunk of change regardless of which he picks.

Well, the Equinox is probably the MOST attractive non 1911 in production. Beyond that, as a carry gun, I would think the USP is the way to go. As much as I like Sig, the USP CT is among the best carry guns available today, bar none. And, were I to consider the USP CT, I would DEFINITELY get it with the LEM trigger. Also, I like the Sig 357 caliber a lot.

Note: The CT does not have HK's nice recoil reduction system...just a buffer.
    Last edited by katmandoo122; January 17th, 2007 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    as a carry gun, I would think the USP is the way to go. As much as I like Sig, the USP CT is among the best carry guns available today, bar none. And, were I to consider the USP CT, I would DEFINITELY get it with the LEM trigger.
    +1!!
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

thanks guys need more info!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a friend with pistols with both LEM and DAK. We both prefer SIG's DAK trigger over H&K's LEM. Were I you, I'd at least dryfire both before choosing.

As I recall, the Equinox does not offer the DAK trigger, so it really doesn't compare directly to the H&K with the LEM trigger in my opinion.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I can't speak to the 229, but I do have a Sig 239 and it is a great weapon. The Sig is built well, shoots great and is easy to conceal. I love my Sig.

However, my carry weapon is and will probably always be a USPc. I have two USPc's one in .357 sig and the other in .40. Yeah I know I only needed to buy another barrel - not a complete other pistol. I had the .40 and then saw the .357 sig on consignment. It was NIB and I bought it for $400. I couldn't pass it up Both of the HK's are variant 2's w/o the LEM trigger. I prefer the DA/SA to the LEM. I prefer to carry - cocked and locked.

As for the Sig vs. HK debate - I don't think there is a debate. They are both incredible weapons. I am pretty biased towards HK but that is personal opinion. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. They are both put together very well, both shoot very accurately, both have a decent range of accessories available and they both have great reputations. I will say that I have had some issues with the customer service people at HK. My next HK will be the USPc in .45.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Thanks For The Info Any More?????????????

Links