VP9 reassurance needed

VP9 reassurance needed

This is a discussion on VP9 reassurance needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK.... I put a VP9 on layaway and now I am having second thoughts. A Co worker had nothing but negative things to say and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: VP9 reassurance needed

VP9 reassurance needed

OK.... I put a VP9 on layaway and now I am having second thoughts. A Co worker had nothing but negative things to say and he is pretty gun savvy... Now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should wait.

I would love some feedback from the fellow VP9 owners out there.. Or anyone in general. Everything I have read has been positive, but it only takes the seed of doubt, not the whole tree

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    OK.... I put a VP9 on layaway and now I am having second thoughts. A Co worker had nothing but negative things to say and he is pretty gun savvy... Now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should wait.
    About the only negative I can suggest is this: it's a v1.0 unit. On that basis, alone, there isn't much actual factual data out there to base solid opinions of reliability (or anything else) on.

But then, it's a contemporary H&K. And other than the firing mechanism it's not all that different from a couple other pistols they've had on the market for awhile. It's ergonomic, apparently well-built, not any heavier or larger than the other offerings. It's not as though you can't get what you want through the P2000, USP or P30. Other than the striker-fired feature.

How I'd do it, if I were considering the VP9: Unless you find a heavy collection of proofs from actual owners showing it to be deficient in terms of reliability or function, I'd say go with it. If you do find such proofs and they really worry you after you've evaluated them, perhaps wait until the v2.0 rendition hits the market following H&K's clear correction of such things (if indeed those things exist).
    Taurahe, spclopr8tr and Bad Bob like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is how I feel... This is my first HK and I want it to be a good experience. HK has some hard core fans, and they didn't get them by making crap guns. It's a little nerve wracking though for some reason

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

If you're looking for a perfect first-time H&K experience, I might suggest going with one of the other I listed. They've been on the market awhile, and they're rock solid. The VP9 sure looks good, though, at least at this stage.

I'd not have a problem with a P30, myself. Equally ergonomic, similar size/shape/caliber. Heck of a gun, by all accounts. And then I'd save up for the striker-fired variant at some point in the future, when I was more comfortable with its track record. Can't have a track record without having ... well, a track record, and that takes time. No real way around that one. Then again, if H&K's warranty is bomb-proof and you're comfortable they'd back it 100% if problems did arise, I wouldn't have any problems going with the VP9. Just be prepared to suffer through some of those v1.0 blues that others might be reporting.

I won't help you in the least. The whole "We are HK and we hate you thing" - if you remove the funny satire from that article, the guy brings up some solid points.

I do like P7's, or at least the idea of them, I have never even held one let alone shot it though so what can I really say?

But from stamped receiver rifles, to copycat pistols, what has HK really done other than charge exorbitant fees for guns that really aren't any better? I don't think the VP9 will re-invent pistol-dom.

it's a striker fired tupper-ware staple gun. whoopdie doo. I'd darn sure wait for Gen-2 to come out. and sure, I get it, they've had some original and unique and game changing ideas, but what big gun maker hasn't? Colt, Winchester, Remington, Springfield, Glock, Sig, ad nauseaum, they've all had revolutionary designs.

I've never understood HK's loftiness with it's fanboys. still don't.

Sorry, I'm no help at all.....
    Taurahe and Struckat like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    But from stamped receiver rifles, to copycat pistols, what has HK really done other than charge exorbitant fees for guns that really aren't any better? I don't think the VP9 will re-invent pistol-dom.
    Dead nuts reliability, great ergonomics, range of calibers. When it fits where another make/model doesn't, particularly when there's great reliability and function, there aren't many good alternatives.

Goes with Glock if it fits a person, CZ if that fits a person, and so on. H&K's no different, in that regard.

It's a recently introduced gun. Expect some problems. It doesn't make any difference who the manufacturer is.
    Vietnam Veteran

Be strong in your own convictions and decisions. If you want to plant seeds of more doubt, you came to the right place.

I own several Kahr pistols that have been wonderful carry guns. If I asked for opinions from others here before I purchased I probably would not own one.
    redbirddog5, Remy, gen3 and 3 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I own a vp70 so I had to have one of these ....

Trust me you will love it ..the trigger is amazing
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I own a vp70 so I had to have one of these ....

Trust me you will love it ..the trigger is amazing
    Glad to hear! How do you like the mag release? It is really my only concern to speak of.

~Daniel Webster

Glad to hear! How do you like the mag release? It is really my only concern to speak of.

I am use to them from my pps .. You get use to them fast .. I like the system .. Harder to drop a mag in a hurry and pretty easy to hit when needs to be hit
    zonker1986 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would love some feedback from the fellow VP9 owners out there.. Or anyone in general. Everything I have read has been positive, but it only takes the seed of doubt, not the whole tree

If you already put it on layaway, isn't it a bit late to be second guessing? Aren't there deposits and fees you'd either forfeit or have to pay if you cancel your layaway?

I'm sure it is a decent gun, although it is a new version. After going through the fiasco of having a brand new type of gun when it first came out (XDs 45), and then having a recall that (at the start of it) didn't instill much confidence that they even knew what was causing the problem or what the solution was, I'm a bit more leery of brand new guns. That said, if something spoke to me enough, and were the right price, I'd probably be stupid and break my own rule. Who knows
    Taurahe likes this.

I thought about that too... But honestly it felt so awesome in hand I didn't want to let it go so I said the heck with it. So it is kind of a have to have St this point lol

~Daniel Webster

I am anxiously awaiting my preordered VP9. What could go wrong with a beginner shooter ordering a new model gun? Yes, a lot; however, I got a good deal, and if it's a dud for me, there will be someone to buy it. Not counting personal/subjective preferences, I have not heard or read one bad thing about the pistol re: form & function. It sounds like this pistol has been in the making for several years & underwent significant testing prior to release. Maybe every gun manufacturer says that, but I'm not worried. I attended a class this past weekend, and one man at the range had a VP9. It looks and feels nice. Quality plastic, lol. I watched him shoot it, pass it around for his buddies to shoot, and there was a lot of enthusiasm, high-fiving, "sweet," and "I gotta get one" going around. If I made a mistake, so be it. In the mean time, I'm super excited even if it doesn't have a hammer ! Congrats!

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    This is my first HK and I want it to be a good experience.
    You could cancel the layaway but then be prepared to pay about $200 - $400 more for some other H&K.

Negatives:
    5.4" high. Full size pistol.
    26.6 oz. with empty mag, 23.28 oz. without mag.
    Luminescent paint three dot sights (not Trijicons or fibre optic)
    Trigger: better than S&W M&P or Glock, not as good as Walther PPQ. (H&Ks are not known for good triggers, yes?)
    Paddle mag release, not as nice as PPQ paddles since they are much shorter, making them harder to depress with thumb, so you will probably end up using your middle finger.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links