I want a new .45

I want a new .45

This is a discussion on I want a new .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a new .45 and would like suggestions. This will be used for concealed carry and for IDPA. I prefer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a new .45

I want a new .45

I am in the market for a new .45 and would like suggestions. This will be used for concealed carry and for IDPA. I prefer IWB carry. I am comfortable with a 1911 in condition 1 carry. I like the grip angle and feel of a 1911. Talk me into a specific 1911 pistol or offer other pistols for consideration. Could spend up to $800. Also, I want the trigger pull to be the same for every shot, first and last.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like you need a 1911.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    maybe a commander size?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Think about the XD 45, either 4inch service or 5 inch tactical. It has a great grip angle, very comfortible, accurate, and reliable. A few nice features, such as a loaded chamber indicator, and a striker cocked indicator, both can be noted by touch at night. Nice rail set up for a light, and it has a 13 + 1 capacity. I carry it on my days off in my Max Con V holster, and it is very comfortable. Top it off, it has a list of around $589 for the service model, I bought mine for $509. Well under your $800 limit. You can spend the difference on the holster, and throw in some extra magazines, and some ammo.

I just purchased a Kimber Compact Stainless II. In my opinion it is just about perfect for concealing a 1911. It has an Officer's Frame, so it is shorter then the commander and the full-size, and a Commander slide, so I don't lose as much velocity and accuracy as I would with a 3" barrel. The only thing is the capacity is 7+1 instead of 8+1 with a commander or full-size. I've put night sights on it and an Ed Brown Beavertail. I plan to do some other cool stuff to it. Its all steel so its weighty, but that allows for a bit more control than aluminum framed 1911's.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...tstainless.php

It cost about 800.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Kahr Amrs P45. I don't know about IDPA but it should be an excellent carry gun. I have one of their P9's and love it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

PS- if you like railed guns Kimber just debuted some TLE's in commander size at SHOT show. So you get the normal TLE features (front strap checkering, rail, etc) in a commander size pistol.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    S&W 1911sc, commander.

colt or springfield for that price

Kimber or a gently used Para would fit the bill VERY well.
    A 4 inch Stainless Pro Carry
    3 inch Ultra Raptor
    I believe I picked up each of these new for somewhere right around the 800.00 mark
    3.5 inch COO (a bit over 800 new)
    Of course these are prices in Nashville, your mileage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    S&W 1911sc, commander.
    +1 ...

I have three M1911A1s the one I carry is S&W 1911PD it is the 1911SC renamed. The "SC" stood for Scandium frame, the "PD" stands for Personal Defense. It also has a Scandium frame. As light as aluminum, as strong as Carbon Steel.

Here is the real kicker ... Weight is 28 oz for a Commander length, tricked out, 45 ACP. It doesn't get any better than that.

imho

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    maybe a commander size?
    I like my commander size SA Champ. big enough to shoot well, small enough to conceal.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Recently purchased an XD 45 ACP Service model and fell in love at first trigger pull. As an old 1911 buff, I was reluctant, but picked one up at an incredible price and have been shooting the hell out it since and its a love affair in the making. Affordable, accurate, practical, a Springfield built to last, and 13 + 1 of kickass 45 ACP 230 gr HP. What more can you ask for?

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." Edmund Burke

"The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I just picked up an SA XD45 Compact. I have only 200 rounds through it so far, and I haven't carried it yet. However, it seems like it will carry more comfortably than my full size Kimber. I have some work ahead of me in order to get used to shooting it. I shot low and left fairly consistently through my initial 200 rounds. Loose nut behind the trigger.

I decided on the XD over a commander sized 1911 for increased capacity, equal reliability, and expendability (not afraid to lose, drop, damage, surrender to police, etc...). I would be sick over the loss or damage of my beloved 1911 and would feel the same about each one if I had 10 of them.

Good luck on your decision.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links