I just can't focus!

I just can't focus!

This is a discussion on I just can't focus! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On weekends that I don't go up north fishing, I usually find time to make a LGS tour. I bought a 40cal this spring with ...

Like Tree33Likes
  • 5 Post By Struckat
  • 3 Post By JDavisArk
  • 2 Post By Kennydale
  • 4 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 4 Post By farsidefan1
  • 4 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By Struckat
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By denclaste
  • 2 Post By CDW4ME
  • 1 Post By TDH1961
  • 1 Post By CDW4ME
  • 2 Post By smolck
  • 1 Post By maxwell97

Thread: I just can't focus!

I just can't focus!

On weekends that I don't go up north fishing, I usually find time to make a LGS tour.

I bought a 40cal this spring with the intent of picking up 357sig barrel. But the more I shoot the 40 the more I like it.
    So today I checked out a FNX 45. It fit my little hand really well. The DA trigger pull was nice and the SA was very light. I really like the FNX 45.

It would become my nightstand weapon and free up my PPQ for another role. I like the idea of 15 rounds of 45 for the hd role.

So my "Want list" is all switched up again. The 357sig barrel moves down a notch and the SP101 and LCRX are bumped accordingly. Still not sure why I want those revolvers so bad.

I went to the FNX forum and saw the usual ups and downs that one gets when reading the manufacturer forums.
    My general feeling is that it's been out there long enough to have the bugs worked out.

I am not a caliber or capacity snob, but 45 has always been my favorite. I don't need a FNX45, today I really want one. It will be months before I could actually buy it, plus the the actual need is another safe, as I plan to give my current one to my son.

My goodness, what will it be next? Look, oooooo, shiny!

Not exactly sure what you're looking for here, but I've been a long time fan of the 40S&W cartridge as well as the 45ACP. I've also made the switch (after 10yrs carrying 40S&W) to 357SIG. I'll tell you....the 40S&W is a sweet round for those that can tolerate it. It's actually the most accurate round for me in my pistols. I'm not a revolver guy ever since I traded my my 357Mag in on a 9mm. The military handed me a 45ACP and I was adept with it in the government platform. I still like that cartridge to this day for what it is or what it was.
    "switching calibers" these days amounts to a whole lot of decisions including cost of new ammo. I realize that for some this is not an issue for certain reasons. 15rds of 45AP vs what? It's either a caliber or capacity issue, and that's something I've always tried to stay clear of. Every shot counts, and make sure you don't miss. Caliber or capacity is never an issue nor is a pretty pistol on the night stand or under your pillow. End results is what we're after, and we all start somewhere.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

When my buddy took me to shoot for the very first time, EVER (age 62) I shot his wife's .38 revolver his 9mm and .40S&W. when he asked me if i wanted to shoot with his 9mm some more, i told him no ! I found the .40S&W Exhilarating to shoot, and i was hitting the target well.
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I will just say two things ... Dont feel bad I too want one .. This one but in tan

And also be happy you want a gun that you can actual find and own withou selling bodyparts
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    What has need got to do with it? Want is plenty good reason to add to the "war chest". You don't need no stinkin "need". Grab it, shoot it, enjoy it.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I'll be honest, there isn't a single gun out there that I don't want. Everything from a .22 mini-revolver to an anti-material rifle appeals to me. Right now the top of my list is Glock 19, M&P 9c, PPQ, VP9, SP101, Witness .45, S&W 64, Security Six...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Well JD, some times I am not sure what I am after. I want to be satisfied one day with my firearm collection, although I know I really only need one regardless of caliber or capacity.
    You say you switched from 40 to 357sig. What made you choose to do so?
    15 rounds as opposed to 7 or 8. I sold my full size 1911 after I bought my CCO 1911 and thought nothing of giving 1 round. However I do like double stacks but 45 double usually don't feel right in my hand. This one does.

Wrongrec, I saw that photo on the FNX forum. Very nice. You obviously like the FNX, has it been reliable for you? LimaCharlie speaks well of his.

It comes down to want. Maybe I feel like an under financed gun glutton. I guess I want them all and just need to accept it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Love my FNX-45 Tactical. It is like one of my 1911s got together with my Glock G20 SF in the safe and this is the offspring.

FNX-45T (1024X768).jpg
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I want a MP5 in 10mm, no way I can afford one, but I want one. Black FS Desert Eagle, FNX Tac, DW Razor, etc. Its nice to have wants. I think all of us can convince ourselves that we need to have this or that. Its what makes life worth living.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    357 Sig vs 40 out of my pistols, 5 shot average:

Glock 32:
    Winchester Ranger T 125 gr. @ 1,334 fps / 494# KE / PF 167
    Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. @ 1,344 fps / 501# KE / PF 168
    Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE / PF 170

Glock 23:
    Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. @ 969 fps / 375# KE / PF 174
    Remington Golden Saber 165 gr. @ 1,048 fps / 402# KE / PF 173
    Winchester Ranger T 165 @ 1,146 fps / 481# KE / PF 189

For comparison, Kahr K40:
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr. @ 991 fps / 393# KE
    Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1,007 fps / 405# KE
    Ranger T 165 gr. @ 1,133 fps / 470# KE

Comparing the hottest loads, 357 Sig HST vs 40 Ranger T 165: the 357 Sig delivers 6% more KE, while producing 10% less calculated recoil.
    Recoil with the Ranger T 165 is noticeably more than the two other 40 S&W loads (no calculation required to determine that).
    Comparing the two middle loads, 357 Sig Gold Dot vs 40 Golden Saber 165: the 357 Sig delivers 20% more KE, and still has less calculated recoil.
    That being said, the recoil difference between the milder 165 gr. and 180 gr. 40 and 357 Sig loads is negligible; the 357 Sig does have more blast.

I have been carrying 357 Sig with either Gold Dot or HST.
    The 357 Sig better matches my preferred POA/POI; I like POI to be on or just above the front sight, 40 impacts slightly higher.
    My 357 Sig Glock 32 has green front/ yellow rear Meprolights, which I prefer; the 23 has green front & rear.
    With ammo that produces comparable levels of calculated recoil, the 357 Sig delivers 20% more KE than the 40.

However, I am prone to "reevaluate" my carry choice, discussion (like this) and gel test tests can set the revaluation gears turning.
    Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison

Heavy clothing, Federal data:
    357 Sig 125 Gold Dot: 18.3'' @ .53
    40 S&W 180 Gold Dot: 13.25'' @ .71
    357 Sig 125 HST: 12.5'' @ .64
    40 S&W 180 HST: 12.5'' @ .80

IWBA heavy clothing, Federal data:
    357 Sig 125 Gold Dot: 17.5'' @ .53
    40 S&W 180 Gold Dot: 14.1'' @ .66
    357 Sig 125 HST: 12.5'' @ .64
    40 S&W 180 HST: 13.5'' @ .70

Edit: sticking with the 32 (357 Sig) preferred POA/POI, preferred sights, more KE with less recoil > recovered diameter.
    Last edited by CDW4ME; August 24th, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
    Struckat and gatorbait51 like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Budgets and guns, where to start? I have never liked the 45 my favorite is the 9mm. I have an MP 9mm and MP22 now that I have sold my MP 40. I have always wanted a 10mm one that will handle the true 10mm full house loads. The EAA Witness fit my hand like a glove and it being a CZ-75 clone that's a proven design for several decades now. I do venture into Black Bear territory and wanted something with more punch than the 40S&W. My 40 became a safe Queen so not being able to purchase the 10mm right out I sold the 40 and bought the 10mm. In any bullet weight the 10mm is 300 to 400 fps faster. Its not uncontrollable and I do carry it instead of my 9mm pretty often. There is always going to be other guns that we want and not having the money for we either wait for the money or we trade off one of the guns that's we don't find ourselves using. I thought I would never get rid of any of my MPs but when I got the fever that I have had since the 80s it finally got the best of me and I sold one. Love the 10mm and the power you can get out of it. It looks like you are like me the guns wants out weigh the budget. Life ain't simple sometimes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    As noted in my above post, I like the 500# KE produced by 357 Sig

However the 357 Sig is not my only option for 500# KE in a easily concealed pistol.

Glock 29 SF 10mm:
    Chrono average for 5 shots, in ascending order of calculated recoil:
    Corbon 150 JHP @ 1,222 fps / 497# KE / PF 183
    Hornady 175 gr. Criitical Duty: 1,077 fps / 451# KE / PF 188
    Hornady 155 XTP: 1,278 fps / 562# KE / PF 198

The 150 Corbon and my POA/POI are a perfect match, very important. Critical Duty hits close to my POA (slightly high), the 155 XTP hits higher than my POA. The 150 Corbon produces the least calculated recoil, but almost 500# KE; it is my carry load for SD.

Some people think the 10mm produces too much recoil for SD, not so with the right ammo. You do not have to carry the most nuclear ammo available.
    For comparison, my Glock 36 (45 acp) with 230 gr. Hydra-Shok averages 807 fps / 333# KE / PF 186
    The 10mm Corbon doesn't produce any more recoil from the 29 than the Hydra-Shok out of the model 36, nearly identical.
    As with the 357 Sig vs 40 in my previous post, recoil is essentially the same ^ but the 10mm produces 37% more KE than the 45
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

FNX is a great gun. .357 sig is a great caliber. Decisions, decisions. But having a large 45 caliber gun for HD will make you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Struckat and gatorbait51 like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    FNX is a great gun. .357 sig is a great caliber. Decisions, decisions. But having a large 45 caliber gun for HD will make you feel warm and fuzzy.
    A bullet that starts out big enough, and will probably get a lot bigger. Hard to beat.
    Struckat likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Links