Is your primary carry gun a revolver or an automatic?

This is a discussion on Is your primary carry gun a revolver or an automatic? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my first 2 carry weapons are autos. my last ditch gun is a 5 shot NAA revolver....

View Poll Results: Is your main carry gun an automatic or a revolver?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Automatic

61 82.43%
  • Revolver

10 13.51%
  • Other

3 4.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your primary carry gun a revolver or an automatic?

Lead Moderator
    my first 2 carry weapons are autos. my last ditch gun is a 5 shot NAA revolver.

2. Remove Ads

Currently carry a revolver (Ruger Security Six), but have also been know to carry my CZ 52.

Hooray! I'm a minority! At long last!

Of course I technically won't have my class for another 8 days and God knows how long it will actually take for the permit to arrive, so maybe I don't count just yet.

wow almost 75% prefer the semi auto to the wheel. Interesting.

Those of you that have opted for the wheel, can you express why?

For me the reason I chose semi's is because that is what I have always trained with so for starters there is familiarity and confidence and by no means does that mean I do not have confidence in the wheel. Second, there is increased round capacity with the semi. Third, there is ease of function and reliability (no flames please I know 1911's have a bad rep) but really, reloads I kno wI can perform much quicker and tactical reloads are also easier with a Semi, and Fourthly, checks dig the semi's. JK. But in all seriousness, My body reacts instinctively with a 1911 and as such I have built up Muscle memory with this given platform. That is why I have chosen a semi and I do think my biases have been transfered to my wife and several of my friends. For my wife I started her out with a semi Browning .22 and she graduated to a 1911 of mine within 30 minutes.

~Andy
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I replied 'other' because of my objection to the way the poll is set up. Many of us carry more than one gun, some carry two primary firearms.

A properly organized poll allows multiple answers. This poll could have done so just by adding the category named 'Both'.

Same problem was noted in the recent holster poll.

For many of us, it is not either/or, it is more 'and'.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

KC135, by primary which will you instinctively reach for first, Honest question. I carry a knife and I know I am reaching for my 1911 first, not necessariyl presenting but still covering the grip.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Situational.

Sitting, would be different than standing. Driving would be different than walking. One hand occupied would be different than other hand occupied, etc.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I had to vote revolver because it is what I carry most of the time. I wear it on an ankle holster and pretty much have it on any time I'm away from my house. I wear a tucked shirt and jeans to the office and it's against company policy for us to carry, so the ankle is the perfect place to be the most discreet. I carry a Glock 19 IWB during the weekends and when I venture out during the evenings. But when I do, I still have my .38 Special on me. The 38 was originally tapped as a backup, but because of circumstances, it's the gun I have with me most.

Glock 36, Kel-Tec P3AT as my back-up...
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

I switch between a Sig 229 and a Sig 239 both 40 S&W. It depends on what kind of cover garmit I am wearing.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Glock 21

VIP Member
    Apachon,

I choose a revolver because I just like them better in most cases. I also shoot them better than a semi. I have a couple semi-autos I shoot well. My Sig P228 is one and that is why it sees carry duty as well. I actually shoot my G17 well. I hear a lot of people complain about Glocks accuracy, but it work for what I use it for. I need to get several hundred rounds through my 1911 and maybe that will replace my revolver.

-Scott-

I once heard somebody refer to his semi-automatic 1911 pistol as an "Auto-Shucker".

So mine is an "Auto-Shucker".

I don't know what all those other auto loaders .
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

Cool

Revolver.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    wow almost 75% prefer the semi auto to the wheel. Interesting.

Those of you that have opted for the wheel, can you express why?

~Andy
    #1. I wanted my first carry gun to be a gun that I LIKED. I want to get myself in the habit of carrying a gun all the time whenever it's legal. This is going to be a lot of training and it will take self discipline. I know it seems silly to refer to building a good habit like this as training but for me it will be. I'm new to carrying, and when I finally get the permit I will need something that I will carry. I must fulfill rule #1 of gun fighting at all costs.

#2. I cut my teeth on a .357 chambered Rossi. The finest handgun I own is a 686-2. I am learning to appreciate the automatic more and more, but the thoughts of cocked and locked carry and an external safety accidentally engaging in the moment of truth still scare me. This can be overcome, but ****** I am a school teacher first and foremost, not a shooter. I have trained to use a revolver more effectively than I have an automatic. I am working on it but I won't be able to reprogram myself to use both equally well overnight.

#3. In my price range, a good compact automatic tends to not be as nice as a good snubnose revolver. Those little plastic Kel Tecs just feel like dangerous toys to me. I find if I have $X to spend where X<500, I can always get more gun for the money with a revolver. I paid $325 for my 686 and as far as I'm concerned its quality is up there with 90% of everything else on the market. It's a capable tool I would take into any batte without hesitation. I paid $310 for my carry gun (S&W 642), brand new. I considered an auto, but they were all too small for my hand and came in less effective calibers like .32 and .25. Their magazines were 6 rounds or so, so I wasn't really losing any kind of capacity. I feel like I got a more effective gun for my money. YMMV.

#4. For survival and SHTF purposes, I am very nervous about relying on an external detached magazine. I want a rock solid integral magazine. I want the firearm to essentially be "one" solid piece. It's the same reason I like my Marlin 60 better than the Ruger 10/22. It's the same reason my SKS uses the factory 10 round integral magazine and stripper clips instead of detachable 30 round clips.

#5. I can see myself "Graduating" to a nice semiautomatic, I just need to find a good one that suits me. But even then I want my backup to be a revolver because of #4. So I bought a 642. It's so easy to carry it will help me become better at the whole concealed carry concept.

#6. I can also see myself getting used to carrying, so I might get a second revolver made out of steel with a 3" barrel chambered in .357. I figure if I'm carrying two revolvers, that's quite adequate.

#7. If I had to run out right now and buy a 1911 style auto like everyone else carries, I'd get one of these.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-1911-ms.shtml

Magazine capacity 7+1.

OTOH, if I ever feel I need more than 5 or 6 shots but I still want a revolver, I could get this.

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com...sw_activeTab=1

Cylinder capacity: 7. So I lose one round on a technicality.

Considering I could use the second one more effectively, I'd be inclined to get it. Truth be told, the main reason I am even considering semi-autos for carry is their more elegant form factor. For carry purposes they're only as thick as their slide, and a revolver is only as thin as its cylinder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links