Help me Shop for a CCW gun?? Please.

Help me Shop for a CCW gun?? Please.

This is a discussion on Help me Shop for a CCW gun?? Please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all was wondering if you all could assist me in figuring out what is out there for me to get for a CCW gun. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me Shop for a CCW gun?? Please.

Wink Help me Shop for a CCW gun?? Please.

Hey all was wondering if you all could assist me in figuring out what is out there for me to get for a CCW gun. I am 5'8" 183lbs with a 34" waiste. I am looking for various guns that fall into my criteria so I can make an educated decision. I am more than happy to look on the internet but I can't just go to the local gunstore here at my deployed location . To save effort for people I am very familiar with guns. I have had Glocks, Sigs, HK, Kahr, S&W revolvers, a Wilson and Colt 1911, Browning HP, and a few other handguns. Most of my guns have been full sized service handguns. I am wondering what is newer out there that I may not be totally aware of that fits my criteria below. Thanks guys for the help.

My criteria is this:

Under 30oz Loaded.

Minimum of 9mm or 38spl.
    Must be able to accept regular +P shooting.

Reliable.

Accurate. and a decent trigger.

Thin I would say no thicker than a 1911 or Glock.

Good rust resistant finish or Stainless.

Able to accept Night Sights with minimum smithing.

Easy to get accessories.

Reasonable recoil (Defensive guns need to be fast back on target)

Durable I want a gun that will shoot longer than 10,000 rounds

And under 1000.00 stock.

Here are my choices I have been playing with.
    Smith and wesson Air weight revolvers with smithing done at Cylinder and Slide.

Glock 26/27

Glock 19/23 (All the glocks to me are on the bulky side for serious no see it CCW)

Kahr K9 SS with some smithing.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks all,

Matt

Is there a specific barrel length you have in mind. I recently purchased a Para Ordnance Slim Hawg and have found it to be an exceptional gun. Right now I am putting it through its paces but it has shot well and without any hiccups. It is quite easy to conceal, even with my small build. Para is now making a Slim Hawg Covert that is made of aluminum and would most likely meet your weight requirement (assuming your requirement is with a full mag and one in the pipe). The Slim Hawg has a 3" barrel chambered in .45ACP.

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPA249 View Post
    Here are my choices I have been playing with.

Smith and wesson Air weight revolvers with smithing done at Cylinder and Slide.

Glock 26/27

Glock 19/23 (All the glocks to me are on the bulky side for serious no see it CCW)

Kahr K9 SS with some smithing.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks all,

Matt
    I have a Kahr K40 SS with the "Elite" factory trigger. The trigger was further worked over for me by Ted Yost when he was running the Gunsmithy at Gunsite. Marvelous Gun!

Ted is running his own operation now,

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/index2.shtml

I would also take a serious look at the Glock 36, the SINGLE STACK mini 45. It feels significantly better to my hand than the double stack mini-glocks do. All the regular Glock sight and trigger options apply to it, and David Bowie can do some SERIOUS work for you if you want it. I had him work over a 35 for me and I LOVE it.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

I like the XD series.

I am looking throught those sights now. Thank you . I am looking at the XD's a little I still remember them as the HS2000. I have been meaning to look into them more along with the S&W M&P's.

I will keep looking.

I carry a Glock 23 everyday. It is very easy to conceal. I am 6'1" and 195lbs and have no trouble. With the 13 round mags and Glock +2 floor plates I have 16 rounds of .40 cal in a compact sidearm. Hard to beat the finish and relaibility of a Glock.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Sounds like you want high quality

From your specs and your $1000 budget it sounds like you want a high quality gun that is quite concealable. The ones you mention are good possibilities, especially the Kahr K9 if you want thin profile and concealability.

If I were you I would also look at a couple of other guns that are thin and concealable, yet have the quality features you mentioned. These are the H&K P2000SK, which comes in 9mm or .40 caliber, or the small 1911s with 3 inch barrel in .45 caliber, such as Colt Defender or Kimber Ultra.

How big is the HK compared to a glock 26/27? I had a defender at one time I can't say I was too impressed with it. Another compact 1911 maybe but I did not like the Colt's fit, finish and over all quality. Just my opinion I may look into a springfield or Kimber though.

The Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander, I understand that they have discontinued the White Stainless colored one in favor of the black PD version, there should still be the SS colored ones available.. To make it even more comfortable and super concealable, I had mine Bobtailed and I highly recommend the Bobtail. You can see mine and judge for yourself at www.ontargetcgw.com , select "1911 Gallery," then "Smith & wesson Bobtail." S&W makes a superb 1911, you see very few negative comments about them.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Administrator
    As far as the extra's, Glocks are hard to beat. You can go into any gun store and find mags, sights, holsters or whatever you want for the gun. Try that with an HK...

I prefer my Kahr PM9 for CCW. A lot of people seem to have problems with them, but IMO, its due to poor technique and not following break in procedure. I have a 1st gen. PM, after break in I had never one glitch in over 1k rounds.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Size - P2000SK and G26

Quote Originally Posted by MPA249 View Post
    How big is the HK compared to a glock 26/27?
    The H&K P2000SK is roughly the same size as the Glock 26/27. Here is some data from the two company websites:

P2000SK:
    weight = 20.8 oz.
    length = 6.42 in.
    height = 4.61 in.
    width = 1.28 in.
    barrel = 3.27 in.

Glock 26:
    weight = 19.8 oz.
    length - 6.29 in.
    height = 4.17 in.
    width = 1.18 in.
    barrel = 3.46 in.

The P2000SK costs more than the G26, but has a more comfortable grip and trigger, and ambidextrous controls.

I'm a big fan of the XD series, in fact a .45 Compact will be my next purchase. Great guns.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

You really can't go wrong with the Glock. It's been my favorite. I prefer the model 23 and carry one everywhere I go. I holster mine with a nice Galco paddle with no problems. Good luck.
    As a citizen of this country I consider it a legal right but yet a privelege to carry a handgun for defensive purposes. I'm also comfortable knowing there are others out there that feel the same way.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you think the Glocks are a little too thick, why go with one, unless it's the G-36. The slide's is minutely thinner than any of the Glock 9mm models, but the grip's noticebly thinner.

I would also recommend the Kahr PM9. I love mine & didn't have a single FTF with it. It's thin, light, & small, but able to handle +P's.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'm checking out the Taurus PT-145 Pro SS. Compact, stainless slide, polymer frame, 10 rounds in the mag, accessory rail, not sure about night sites.
    I have carried f/s Beretta, Taurus and Ruger as well as compact S&W and compact revolvers. I really like how the Taurus feels in my hand. I find that it is quick on target (for me). Now I'm just trying to find a buyer for my S&W 457, compact 45.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links