Need help finding a 1911

Need help finding a 1911

This is a discussion on Need help finding a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking to buy a compact 1911. Now Id like to have a 4 inch barrel with the shorter grip (officers size??) I saw Springfield ...

Thread: Need help finding a 1911

Need help finding a 1911

Im looking to buy a compact 1911. Now Id like to have a 4 inch barrel with the shorter grip (officers size??) I saw Springfield used to make a Compact that was exactly what I was looking for but I was just on the web site and cant find that......the only thing thats close is the ultra compact. Does what Im lookin for exsist? And if so who makes it?

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Kimber's Compact CDP II may fit the bill.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Here is a nice one in 3":

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Defender.asp
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Mo
    Springfield calls their 4" gun the "Champion." It actually has a 4-1/4" barrel, so true Colt Commander barrels won't fit it (though there is plenty of aftermarket support for this size if it's something you're interested in).

A friend has the stainless Champion, and it's a sweet sweet gun. I think I like the lightweight champion better though. It has a 2-tone design with a lightweight aluminum frame for easy carry.

They also make a Champion version of their bare bones GI 1911s. All 3 models can be found on the Springfield site.

I think I like the lightweight champion better though. It has a 2-tone design with a lightweight aluminum frame for easy carry.
    I have the Lightwieght Champion and like it immensly. It was my first 1911. I had some problems at first but Springfield took care of them. Now it shoots like a gem and I am extremely happy with it.

Re-post from previous thread:

I just purchased a Kimber Compact Stainless II. In my opinion it is just about perfect for concealing a 1911. It has an Officer's Frame, so it is shorter then the commander and the full-size, and a Commander slide, so I don't lose as much velocity and accuracy as I would with a 3" barrel. The only thing is the capacity is 7+1 instead of 8+1 with a commander or full-size. I've put night sights on it and an Ed Brown Beavertail. I plan to do some other cool stuff to it. Its all steel so its weighty, but that allows for a bit more control than aluminum framed 1911's. Shoots really well for a compact gun.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...tstainless.php

PM me if you want a pic, but it looks pretty similar to the one on the website.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Kimber Compact CDP II...

May be 'calling' your name...

I have the Ultra CDP II and the Pro CDP II...the Compact would have the best of both...the 4" bbl of the Pro and the shorter grip of the Ultra for better CCW.

My Ultra is my EDC and works well for me...I enjoy BOTH my Kimbers.

Stay armed...stay safe!

Enjoy your search...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I sure do like to carry my Springfield Champion.
    It's 4", it has a full size grip that I prefer and holds 8+1 and shoots like a dream!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1 for the Kimber CDP II line. I have the Ultra, and for me, it's just about the perfect carry pistol. The Compact would give you the 4" barrel if that's the way you want to go. Get some Wilson Combat mags and a good holster/belt combo to go with it and you're all set.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

BigE, I have a Kimber CDP Compact and it's a great gun. It was my first 1911 and has been flawless. I did change out the grips to a set of smooth grips because it rubbed too much when I carried in hot weather. It conceals very nicely, especially in a MS VMII.

I took it to the range the other day and grouped some nice headshots with it. Plus, it comes with a lot of the custom features many look for. You can't go wrong with it. Good luck.

S&W 1911 PD best 45 carry gun I have ever had and it took somthing to replace MY Sig 220

you might look at the Les Baer Stinger model as well

Links