best carry for leftys

This is a discussion on best carry for leftys within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry presently a big 1911 9mm knockoff. I'm thinking about 9mm XD or a 357 revolver. I would like to hear from other southpaws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best carry for leftys

best carry for leftys

I carry presently a big 1911 9mm knockoff. I'm thinking about 9mm XD or a 357 revolver. I would like to hear from other southpaws what do you carry and preferences.

2. Remove Ads

Right now, I am carrying a Taurus PT-101 IWB, but, I am getting my 1911 ready to carry.

I have a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety that I carry mostly now. Before that I used to carry a Beretta because the controls were reversible. Which is a very nice feature. According to one of the posts around here about Shot Show, Charter Arms is coming out with a fully reversed .38 spl revolver. I'll probably pick one of those up at some point.

My opinion on carry for lefties is that if you're using a safety that it absolutely has to be setup so you can use it left handed. Other than that, it's pretty easy to learn to hit the mag release with your middle or trigger finger and the slide release with your index finger. Oh and I find SIGs to be the most unfriendly leftie pistol. YMMV
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Hey albundy,

Another lefty here. My personal preference is a Sig 239, I carry it in a CompTac Gurkha IWB or a Milt Sparks OWB 55BN. Sig seems pretty lefty friendly to me and no safety to worry about; I'm at around 7500 rounds thru the 239 without a stumble.

That said, I shot an XD recently and felt the same way, and the XD is lighter and quite a bit less $$$$.

^^ What he (Sammy) said.

I carry a Kimber 1911 with ambis in a 5 Shot IWB.

xd40SC in VM2, S&W638 in pocket companion xl, ruger p89 in shoulder harness for those trips to walmart.....

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    a 1911 with an Ambi safety in a paddle holster.
    I usually don't carry spare mags.
    Currently having a Browning Hi-Power modified for an Ambi safety.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Albundy - IMHO, the HK USPc is probably the most left friendly pistol out there. Out of the box it comes with an ambidextrous magazine release. It is very easy to change the pistol from a right handed safety/decocker to left handed safety/decocker. Lastly, the trajectory of the spent casing does not lend itself to getting caught up in my shirt collar or landing on my arm.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Lead Moderator
    Leftie here. I carry a HK USP or SA champ . The XD looks good, but for me the slide release is too far back. (if you use the slingshot method to drop slide it doesn't matter)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    I carry presently a big 1911 9mm knockoff. I'm thinking about 9mm XD or a 357 revolver. I would like to hear from other southpaws what do you carry and preferences.
    XD-9 SubCompact and I love it!!

Ruger

Ruger KP944 40cal. ambi mag releases & safety/decock lever.

VIP Member
    Mostly carry 1911s & am left-handed.

I find 1911 easy to operate for a lefty with the only addition to the gun being a ambi-safety.

All the other controls are IMHO easier to use then for a right-handed operator. I use my trigger finger for the mag release. Also use trigger finger to operate slide release.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd second the suggestion of any XD or 1911 with an ambi-safety. I use my left hand middle finger for mag release, index for slide stop.

i carry a glock ... no problems whatsoever with being a lefty and using a glock (or any similar design).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links