Pocket Pistol

Pocket Pistol

This is a discussion on Pocket Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like some opinions if you would. I am slowly putting togather a collection of guns that I like. They dont necessarily have a ...

Thread: Pocket Pistol

Pocket Pistol

I would like some opinions if you would.

I am slowly putting togather a collection of guns that I like. They dont necessarily have a purpose, some of them, they are just cool to me. I have a bolt action 270, pump shotgun, break open 410, xd9 semi auto, ruger single six.... and more.

I would like to get a small pocket revolver. I love the super light weight j-frames, especially the black finish -such as the 340pd.

Here's where I need some opinions. I like to shoot all types of guns and I am not horribly recoil sensative, but if I end up getting one that kicks like a mule I am not going to want to shoot it as much. I am not buying it for personal defense - more to just shoot. I also have a couple boys (as well as other family & friends) that I am introducing to shooting. My oldest loves the walther p22. I want something that wont scare them off.

However, it doesnt seem to make sense to have (or invest in) this type of gun to have no PD value. And who knows, maybe I will want to carry it from time to time.

Is snake shot effective at all in this short of barrel? Would the 22 mag S&W 351PD have any value as a woods/tackle box gun. I think it would be a cool set up with crimson trace. The boys would have fun with it (as well as I). How about the S&W 432PD its a nice looking gun. I know they dont make them anymore, but its interesting.

Also I dont care if its more expensive than say a taurus... if its a better (or if I like it better) I will buy it over two cheaper guns.
    Or do the small 38's kick that hard. I've never shot one, but I imagine they might.

Any suggestions would we welcomed

Thanks

New Member Array geerickeyimsorry's Avatar
    You oghta take a look at the Kel-Tec p32. Great little gun. You can keep it anywheres. Recoil isnt too bad ( my wife likes it ). It's very durable and affordable. Plus not too bad for PD.

The Kel Tec is a nice little gun, but I want to get a small revolver. I am trying to keep variety in the collection.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My father acquired a little 5 shot .38 taurus (I can't remember the model, I am sure someone will speak up with it.) I have to say that had the snappiest recoil of any revolver I ever shot. I would have been hesitant about having a youngster shoot that one, because I felt it and I am 6'3" 225 lbs with big enough hands to handle a Glock 20 comfortably. Maybe look at a little bigger 2" revolver with a smaller hougue grip. I shot a S&W like that when I was a youngster comfortably. It was light enough to handle, yet it was heavy enough to reduce the recoil substantialy. I would confidently put 6-8" groups at 50 yds. It was a great confidence booster for me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The titanium framed J-frames, IMHO, kick horribley. I have a 442 (The aluminum alloy one). It kicks pretty good, especially with +P's, but nothing like the titanium model. I couldn't tell you what the .22's are like.

Personally, I have a full size revolver, an old Dan Wesson .357 that I used to teach my daughter with. I used .38's in it for her. If you're looking for something for your kids, a standard metal revolver might be better. The weight will make it more pleasant to shoot.

If you're looking for concealed carry use, I think the airweight's (The aluminum framed ones, I don't know all of S&W's model #'s) is a great balance of light weight, size, & power. It'll kick, but not so bad that you won't want to practice with it. All that's nice if you're looking into a revolver & I do like them(I have two).

If you think you might be interested in an auto, & small hands might shoot it, look at some of the .32 & .380 autos. Ballistically, they're close to a sub 2" barrelled .38.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

FJC
    If it's not for carry, don't get one of the super-lightweight snubbies. They do kick like mules, and are expensive as well (especially the 340pd). When I owned a 340pd, it was great for carry but not fun to shoot. I could shoot quite a few standard-pressure .38's ok through it, but just a few cylinderful's of .38 +P's and my hand would ache all evening...and we won't even talk about .357's. :)

I'd recommend one of the all-steel models if weight isn't an issue, as you'll feel very little recoil with those when shooting .38's. Maybe look for a used blued Model 36 or something if you prefer darker guns.

I had and did use a 340pd for a few years and it was very good,lite and accurate with 135gold-dot 357 mag ammo. In black or blue the 442 would be just as good at near half the price and in 38+P which is powerfull enough. The 340 pd are pricey for what you get. I sold mine used for $500 to a pal who wanted a BUG. I went to a pre-lock M37 for pocket carry and I,m just as happy with it and really prefer the prelock SW. Whats 3oz. its not much to worry about.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    For a small revolver, there are some Taurus and S&Ws in .22 that are neat, but if you'd like something that's a step up but with more manageable recoil, I'd suggest you take a look at the Ruger SP101. It's a hair bigger than a J frame (and only a hair) and you can get it in .32 which can be a 4" barrel, no real recoil to speak of, but it's a bit more expensive to shoot. Then you get into their .38's or .38/.357. Their Stainless so they weight more than the airweights and it makes them much more fun to shoot. I have an Airweight and it's simply punishing with .38 +P and it's hard recoil with any heavy .38 bullet. If I get a real light load for it, it's okay.

I've been looking hard at the SP101 with the 3" barrel. It's still a very small revolver. You can shoot low end .38's very comfortably but have the option of stepping up to .357 magnums every once in a while for fun or if you ever decided to use it for defense. It's stainless so good for knocking around in the woods. Ruger used to make a .22 version of the SP101 with semi adjustable rear sight but they don't any more. I'd love to get one of those if I ever find a good used one.

One last thought; some will tell you I'm crazy but I'd also consider a Rossi revolver if you're just looking for something for fun and plinking. They're very inexpensive but I really like how they fit my hand and believe they'd feel good to the boys too.
    Take a look at this:
    http://www.rossiusa.com/products/pro...egory=REVOLVER
    or this:

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/pro...egory=REVOLVER

They're definitely low end but if you're not using them for concealed carry I believe they'd be great fun and inexpensive and I know there are guys who do use them for concealed carry.

The Taurus revolvers seem to have very wide triggers that make them uncomfortable for me but I have smallish hands. You need to handle one for yourself.

Hope you find what you're looking for and God Bless!
    Gideon

I agree with the other posts. If you aren't going to carry it why buy a ultralite gun? Also it sounds like you are looking for more of a target/plinking gun, for this the snub nose is not ideal. I would buy a 4-6" 357, this way you can shoot mild 38 special loads for the kids, but dad can still have some fun with the magnums. The extra weight of the .357 will make the gun less snappy, and more pleasant for the kids to shoot. I have a Model 60 ( SS, S&W, J frame, 5 shot 38) and I love it, but not for a day of target shooting, for that give me the 686 ( SS, S&W, K frame, 6 shot 357) this gun is by far the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. The .357 also makes a much better woods gun then a 22lr. You can get .38 snake shot or carry 38 or 357 rounds if the threat is not of the scaley type. Nothing wrong with a Taurus, Colt, Rossi, Dan Wesson, but I prefer S&W when it comes to revolvers, and I have several of them. Feel free to PM me with any ?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have a 351PD that I bought because of its overall coolness and weirdness. It is a 22 mag, 7 shot revolver that weighs 10.5 oz unloaded. You can get snakeshot for 22 mag ammo. You cannot shoot any 22 LR cartridges in it. I take it in my vest when we go fly fishing.
    good points: extremely light, surprisingly accurate, excellent but not adjustable sights, high coolness
    bad points: heavy trigger, tiny boot-grip type stocks, great difficulty extracting fired cases for some reason, finish wears pretty quick at the cylinder face.
    would i buy it again? probably not, but it IS cool.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

A little .380 semi-auto like a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Kel-Tec P3AT would be a nice addition, and both can be carried if you decide that you want to.

A J-frame Smith or a Taurus equivilent in .38 or .357 would also be a nice addition. I think one of these will be next in my purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    I have a 351PD that I bought because of its overall coolness and weirdness. It is a 22 mag, 7 shot revolver that weighs 10.5 oz unloaded. You can get snakeshot for 22 mag ammo. You cannot shoot any 22 LR cartridges in it. I take it in my vest when we go fly fishing.
    good points: extremely light, surprisingly accurate, excellent but not adjustable sights, high coolness
    bad points: heavy trigger, tiny boot-grip type stocks, great difficulty extracting fired cases for some reason, finish wears pretty quick at the cylinder face.
    would i buy it again? probably not, but it IS cool.
    God Bless
    I too have a 351 and generally agree with the above statements, although I've discovered that the hard extraction seems to vary with ammo, as does accuracy. CCI seems to work the best in the little guy and extracts easily for me. I have to agree that I bought mine for the cool factor also, but it turns out its the best practice snub I've ever come across. It has the muzzle flash and noise of a .38 without beating up your hand at all and if you can master the trigger on a 351, you can master the trigger on anything!

But for what you are describing, I'd get a S&W 640 or maybe a 60 if you like single action, or basically any other steel snub as they will be much more fun to shoot a lot. That said my all time favorite snub to shoot is an airweight 642, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that one.

RB
    That said my all time favorite snub to shoot is an airweight 642, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that one
    I'm with you man!

S&W 642 is my pocket gun as well, 5 rounds of .38spl +P makes a nice little carry package when the bigger guns aren't manageable. Some folks find the recoil too harsh but personally I think it's a hoot 'n a half.
    Jack

Sponsored Links