It kills at both ends!!

This is a discussion on It kills at both ends!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back, I picked up a never been shot Rossi 461 .357 from someone that needed money a couple days after buying it. Maybe ...

Thread: It kills at both ends!!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar

It kills at both ends!!

A while back, I picked up a never been shot Rossi 461 .357 from someone that needed money a couple days after buying it. Maybe for diapers, but I suspect booze or drugs. Anyway, I finally took it out this evening. I put in some WWB 38 specials, 130 gr, FMJ flat nose. HMMM, can't feel any more recoil that the smaller 9mm,s that I own. Doesn't sound much louder either. Put in some 38 specials, +p 125 gr Speer gold dots. Hey there, has a little bit more kick and is a little louder. Got to try the 357 side of the coin. Ran a brush thru the bore just in case of any buildup. Loaded up 6 WWB 357's, 110 gr JHP. Cocked the hammer back, lined up the sights, and squeezed the trigger. Immediately, if not sooner, I had this ringing in my ears I hadn't had since my field artillery days, Eyes started to water up, both arms were pointing just about straight up, and I saw the biggest fireball in the world, kinda like the pics of Hiroshima.

That poses a problem for me. I have a spinal neuro-stimulator in my back. When the 357 went off, the recoil jolted me so hard that it set off the stimulator, sending electric waves down my hips and legs. Guess I'm either gonna have to give it to the son in law, or shoot +p 38's out of it. The 9's that I shoot don't affect me like that. Is the 38 +p's gonna be good enough for SD? Thanx for any (or most) comments.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    .38 are fine for self defense. If you would rather use the .357, go ahead and do so. If you need to use it in a sd situation, will setting off you neuro-stimulator really matter? I guess I'm asking if that contraption hurts or otherwise put you at a disadvantage?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow That must have been painfull 38+p is just fine for defense out of a rifle

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Heck yeah, a .38 Special +P is going to do just fine for SD purposes. Stay with the name brand JHP's and pay attention to shot placement.

I wouldn't even want to be shot with a .38 NON +P...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Assistant Administrator
    I'll endorse the +P vote.

Plenty adequate really at bad breath ranges and much easier to control the gun and manage follow-ups.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Thanx Gonna let the son in law burn up the other 44 rounds and put 38's in the gun when it is used as a carry in the truck gun.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

It kills at both ends... I thought this was a forum for CC, not Jalapenos...
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hey mech, you could always use the .357 and if the first round doesn't hit just stay stiff and play dead.

Seriously, I am glad you are all right and that you didn't discover this misfortune when it counted. .38's should be fine.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I have a one of those revolvers too, and the reciol is pretty stiff out of it. It does kind of feel like I get punched in the nose a little every time I shoot .357's out of it. It's my younger brother's favorite of mine to shoot though, so whatever. I'm still young, maybe I'm a little twisted, but I like takin it out every now and then with a box of .357's, gotta warn your neighbors on the firing line though.

Does your's have to factory rubber grips on it? Without the full size grips, .357's would probably be a bear to handle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Not familiar with this specific gun, is a ultra lite .357? I have a S&W 686 and .357 rounds are very managable, although I don't have the spinal problems that you do either. The +P 38 special rounds will be just fine, the 38 special lead round nose was used for years by LEO's, so it should take care of your needs. I would buy a good hollow point. I prefer the Hydrashocks because I have seen first hand bullrt performance in soft tissue, but there are several others that will meet your needs as well.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

In 357 mag the Rem med. speed Golden Saber125gr. hp are good in snubs. And allso the 135gr. gold-dot 357 short barrel load.

Links