$1,500 dollar question? please read before reply

This is a discussion on $1,500 dollar question? please read before reply within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; $1,500 dollar question? please read before reply. Lets say you have $1,500 to spend on any handgun of all types and variants what would you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $1,500 dollar question? please read before reply

$1,500 dollar question? please read before reply.

Lets say you have $1,500 to spend on any handgun of all types and variants what would you buy? Spend the $1,500.00 on any gun you want, but you can only buy one. Having money left over is not good or bad. It is not a contest since everyone has different needs, likes and dislikes. Note: You may already have the gun you always wanted, please let us know anyways.

To a lot of people money is the biggest factor affecting the decision to purchase a handgun. Many have to settle for second best, and then some. This post is suppose to be a brain tease, if has been done before please remove the post, but I thought it may give us all a little insight into true our tastes, and desires.

1. Price: It held you back from buying what you wanted, so cheap and good does not count. Only that the price impeded you from getting what you wanted.
    2. The gun can be conceal, methods not an issue
    3. Gun must meet your needs, hand size, variant 9mm, .40, .45, etc.
    4. Quality: Reliable, accurate, durable, etc.
    5. Manufacture stands behind their product: Warranty only good if it breaks…
    6. No comparison, in other words, other choices not important you have already gone through that process of choosing.
    7. Pride of ownership: You would want it to pass it on to your son, daughter or loved ones
    8. Resale value: Need to sell, something new came on the market
    9. You love it so much that you want to take it with you to your afterlife.
    10. Your wife/husband can not have it if you divorce….could not think of something better fo #10

Another Les Baer course its more than 1500$ but thats it or any high end 1911 that isnt a kimber or nighthawk

so one of these
    Ed brown wilson baer yost etcetc they all meet my criteria

The closest one that comes to all of those criteria for me personally would be a HK MK23 although it is definitley a little big for my paws; but the only pistol that comes close.

Or possiblya SA Loaded 1911....maybe. =)
    Last edited by Vegas; January 19th, 2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add SA
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I would buy half of a Wilson Combat Carry Comp.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Lowflyer,
    No half's. %, or lay away...but agree

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Well, so long as we are dreaming, I'd make my wife pay for the other half.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

My first inclination was to say H&K P7M8. I've wanted one of these for a while, and they are really intuitively designed. But that wouldn't fulfill #7, SO, I would use the money to build my own 1911. I'm talking about everything I want (outside and in), custom serial number, the whole nine yards. So it'll be a functional reliable gun, but also something that I worked on with my own hands and thus something my kid can look at with pride, and say: my dad built that.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

My Beretta 92FS.

Beware the man with one gun........

I bought it in Nov 2005. It now has ~7500 rounds through it. I refused to clean it the last ~3500 rounds. Ran without a hitch. It just worked. I use it CCW as well as for tactical training.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

As mentioned before, a real nice shiny 1911. That, IMHO, is the quintessential American handgun, aside from a SAA.

Man, now I'm torn.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I may get flamed for this but for an all around threat, including animals I think I would get the S&W 500. Barring that I would look for a Colt 10MM
    Last edited by Dakotaranger; January 19th, 2007 at 01:39 AM.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Dang, that's a hard one for me to answer. I already own most of the ones I want, and the handguns I'm still interested in either cost a lot less than $1,500 (maybe half that amount or less like the PF-9 from Kel-Tec), or they cost twice as much like SIG's P226 X-Five. Tough decision... maybe a SIG 1911 Revolution STX or the SIG P220 Carry SAS. Love those SIG's! Though they weren't part of the original discussion, but there are a number of rifles and shotguns I'd still like to get my hands on that fall in that $1,500 price range .

As for the other stuff mentioned, I buy every gun with the intention of keeping it until I'm no longer able to pull the trigger. My kids should have quite a collection to choose from since I've only sold one gun I've bought in over twenty years. That was to a friend and he REALLY made me an offer too good to pass up. I've given a few away, but that's a different matter.
    Last edited by rachilders; January 19th, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Boy, this is an easy question-
    a COLT PYTHON in blue with 4 inch barrel and factory walnut grips, with the original box and stuff.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Glock 19 (~$500).

The best and most accurate gun I have owned is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. So, for carry I would choose a Les Baer in a commander length. After reviewing the choices- the Monolith Commanche model.
    http://www.lesbaer.com/mono.html

This gun IS a $299 above the mark... So maybe Lowflyer and his wife could help out.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Well, so long as we are dreaming, I'd make my wife pay for the other half.

I have had my eye on a Kimber Ultra Raptor since they hit market. Easily concealable on my build, I love the 1911 design, and of course .45 ACP. After a proper break-in, it should go bang every single time.

As far as passing them on, my son and/or daughter will become proud owners one day, and they will have a fine collection of toys. Very few high end pieces right now, but still respectable materials.

I don't worry so much about resale as I just can't bring myself to sell any of my guns. Perhaps if things got real bad and I needed to have some instant cash, but I am not in that kind of position.

My wife would tell you that I would take them to the otherside if the funeral home would allow me to have them in the casket.

Divorce isn't even a thought. Just will not happen. Not this time.
    10. Your wife/husband can not have it if you divorce….could not think of something better fo #10

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links