SW99 Malfunction

SW99 Malfunction

This is a discussion on SW99 Malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got an SW99 with AS trigger that has about 1k rounds through it. Recently, I've noticed that when releasing the slide using the slide ...

Thread: SW99 Malfunction

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar

SW99 Malfunction

I've got an SW99 with AS trigger that has about 1k rounds through it. Recently, I've noticed that when releasing the slide using the slide lock, the gun decocks itself. It only does it once every 20 or so times and I haven't found any certain way to hold it to replicate the situation.

Has anyone here had a similar problem with their SW99? Also, who could I send it of to in order to get it looked at? I need a good gunsmith that will fix it on the cheap.

So far, this hasn't been a problem that's affected functionallity. I've never had it "decock" while chambering a live round. I'm a little scared to chamber a round with it acting up for fear of it going off and blowing a hole in my wall. I guess I'll have to stick with my kel-tec for a while until I can get this resolved.

Lead Moderator
    get it fixed. a firearm not functioning correct is an accident waiting to happen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've never had to use a gunsmith before. What would one typically charge for labor on a job like this?
    Depending on the company, some fix em for the cost of shipping.

Lead Moderator
    Alot depends who /where they are. Perhaps contacting the manufacturer first, to see their rate?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, I dropped it by a local dealer who's got a pistol smith that charges $30/hr. I figured that was reasonable. He said that if his smith couldn't fix it, then he'd ship it off to S&W for me.

Hopefully this mess won't take too long. I'm already starting to miss the gun by my bed. On top of that, I'm going to be in Indiana this weekend and I won't be able to carry it while I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post

Has anyone here had a similar problem with their SW99? Also, who could I send it of to in order to get it looked at? I need a good gunsmith that will fix it on the cheap.

SW99's have a lifetime warranty to the original owner... Even if you are not the original purchaser I'll bet S&W Customer Service will fix it for you at a reasonable price.

Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Return it to S&W, they will send you a pre-paid shipping label. Last time I sent one I had it back in eight days!

I hope you are not continuously dropping the slide from slide lock without a loaded mag in place!Bad jo-jo

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    I hope you are not continuously dropping the slide from slide lock without a loaded mag in place!Bad jo-jo
    Not continuously. I really only started doing it many times a day once I noticed it was decocking.

I never knew dropping the slide using the slide lock without a loaded mag was bad. I bet that's what's caused my problems. I tend to drop the slide like that every time I check the chamber. And I check the chamber a lot because I do a lot of dry firing.

So when I get the pistol back, should I start riding the slide down when I don't have a mag in there?

Its a cardinal sin with 1911s,I gotta believe its harmful to just about any bottomfeeder.I always ride the slide down on a empty pistol,I think its a safe bet this damaged your sear and or hammer .Live and learn.JMHO

Hey, thanks for the tip. Hopefully this lesson won't cost me too much.

Sponsored Links