Need feedback on pocket gun choices.

This is a discussion on Need feedback on pocket gun choices. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my list generated for the gun show in Feb. but I would like to have some first hand knowledge of the following firearms. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have my list generated for the gun show in Feb. but I would like to have some first hand knowledge of the following firearms. I have been out of the gun loop for 10 years due to illness and just starting to get back into it. Looking for a pocket/BUG . Here is my list I have developed so far, if you have other suggestions please let me know.
    Seecamp in .380 or .32
    NAA Guardian in .380 or .380 NAA
    Walther PPK in .380 German or Interarms make
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Sig P230 or P232
    Makarov in .380

I have ruled out the Keltec P3AT, I held one in my hand and it just felt junky, the fit and finish was awful, I know it is a favorite on here, but don't try and convince me I should buy it. I also understand the Sig doesn't really fit in this group, but I really love this gun and have wanted one for a long time. I appreciate the help ahead of time.
    NCHornet
    Last edited by NCHornet; January 19th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Moderator
    The Bersa is the best for the price that you have listed

Administrator
    I agree with pgrass. You can buy two Bersa's for the price of the others too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

los
    I took note that Seecamp was at the top of your list. Precisely where it should be...
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Don,t discount one of the best pocket guns a SW j-frame in your flavor,442,642,340pd 340ss,37,36,637.......

Thanks y'all but I don't want to make a decision based on price alone, although it is a factor as I'm not rich. I tend to wear cargo type pants often, so some of the guns on the list that may not work for some as a pocket gun, will for me. I can place my Glock 23 in the pocket with no problem.
    As for the ultralite revolvers, I have a model 60 and love it, although not an ultralight, I prefer more firepower and the slimness of a semiauto vs a revolver and all of the ultalite revolvers I have shot have not been pleasant, not that any of these gun make good range guns, I just prefer the semi's for the purpose of SD.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Since you have been away for awhile you may not be too familiar with the small 1911's that make great pocket carry guns. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 3", .45ACP in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. Great gun with lots of firepower. It's about the same size and weight as some you have listed.
    Last edited by tegemu; January 20th, 2007 at 08:26 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

If Keltec was out, I'd go with the Bersa of all of those. It's definitely the best gun for the money (on the list) and a joy to shoot at the range.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I also vote for the bersa. I had one and for the money its a sweet shooter. Great trigger to. I had to sell it but wish I had it back. Good luck.

Sixgun

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I wear wrangler cowboy cut jeans in a 34" waistband ( small pockets , go look at a pair and see for yourself ) I can carry a kahr pm9 in a front pocket but it is on the large size . Like the p3at or not it is just the thing for pocket carry . My walther ppk/s does not carry as well as the kahr even tho the kahr has a more square profile . All i can say is for yourself drop each of the guns into a pocket , and pay attention on how fast you can get it back out , as well as how bad it prints .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

You need to find a dealer with a bersa and ask if you can put it in your pocket. I own one and IMO it is too heavy for pocket carry.If no Kel-Tec, for pocket carry I would go with a Seecamp or a Rohrbaugh.

I want a kel-tec but have not bought one online b/c I keep reading about them being built cheaply. I need to find one in person to judge.

IMHO kel-tec's are inexpensive ( got my butt chewed for saying cheap the other day lol ) but the p11 and the 2nd gen p3at are reliable guns that are entirely suitable for carry . You could not beat me into carrying a p11 but then same goes for a glock , neither pisol works for me . I do have and have carryed and will again a p3at. The company is fine and has one of the best customer service depts in the industry , but some of the models are not for me . I am not a brand snob or brand loyalist but i will state what works for me . The most economical gun i carry is a p3at followed by a taurus , then we work into kahrs , sigs , colts , ect.. normaly i carry a kahr because it meets MY needs better than anything else i have found , except when i cant carry anything bigger than that dammed little p3at lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Comment on Walther PPK

Of the guns you list, I have firsthand experience with one of them - the Walther PPK in .380 caliber. Mine was made in the US by Interarms, and I bought it slightly used about 8 years ago.

I have put about 500 rounds through the gun since I bought it, and it has never failed to feed or eject. So it is 100% so far in that regard. It also seems to be quite accurate for a small gun, and groups well.

The gun is all steel and weighs about 21 ounces empty. But it is quite small and flat, and conceals easily. I have carried it in a Galco pocket holster (shown below), and in a couple of different belt holsters, both IWB and OWB. It will fit in most pants pockets, but because of its weight you need sturdy pockets. I prefer to carry it in a jacket pocket in cooler weather, where it conceals very easily and is a useful backup to another gun in a belt holster.

I have to say that with my ppk/s ( also an interarms , but a little older than pogos i guess since mine was made in 72 ) i shoot empty shotgun hulls at 15 to 20 yards , this is not something i try with all carry guns compact or not . As with pogo it has never missed a beat on feed and function .

JD
    Administrator
    Also not on your list is the Colt Mustang, I have a Mustang +II that I think is a little big for pants pocket carry(Front) but a normal Mustang would be a nice little package in .380.

They are no longer in production, and when found they tend to be a little pricey, but are worth it IMHO and are regarded as one of the best BUGs/pocket carry guns out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links