Federal Aluminum FMJ rounds

This is a discussion on Federal Aluminum FMJ rounds within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at Walmart and they had some federal 115 grain aluminum jacketed rounds 50 for $9.98 I picked up a box just to try ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Federal Aluminum FMJ rounds

I was at Walmart and they had some federal 115 grain aluminum jacketed rounds 50 for $9.98

I picked up a box just to try them out. Has anyone else had experience with these? I'll be shooting them through an LC9 that's eaten everything I've thrown at it so far. These seem a little on the light side to me though.
    Ruger LC9 - Hornaday Critical Defense

lol, the thread that will not die!
    Taurahe, Ianthin and Eric357 like this.

Ianthin and WrongRecroom like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

It is what it is. You shouldn't see any issues out of it. Personally, I won't put anything that's not brass cased through anything of mine other than my AK47 (which was made for steel case ammo). I don't reload for pistol, but I sell my brass. I know the economics. My advice to anyone shooting aluminum case ammo is to still pick up your empty cases as scrap aluminum pays more per pound than scrap brass. Recover some of your purchase cost. Another thing to think about is the possibility of an over-charged factory round (it has and does happen) with an aluminum case compared to a brass case. Brass is stronger than aluminum (now you can picture that catastrophe in your mind). Just saying. Heck,if things get worse, I might be buying it myself in the near future still realizing the risks involved.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    It is what it is. You shouldn't see any issues out of it. Personally, I won't put anything that's not brass cased through anything of mine other than my AK47 (which was made for steel case ammo). I don't reload for pistol, but I sell my brass. I know the economics. My advice to anyone shooting aluminum case ammo is to still pick up your empty cases as scrap aluminum pays more per pound than scrap brass. Recover some of your purchase cost. Another thing to think about is the possibility of an over-charged factory round (it has and does happen) with an aluminum case compared to a brass case. Brass is stronger than aluminum (now you can picture that catastrophe in your mind). Just saying. Heck,if things get worse, I might be buying it myself in the near future still realizing the risks involved.
    I wouldn't worry much about that. Without a chamber wall to support it, a brass case might as well be made out of paper. If you've ever watched one set off in slow motion, the case just explodes. The chamber wall is where the strength comes from. This is why polymer cases are feasible. Hell, shotguns have been using plastic cases for decades.

As long as aluminum has adequate heat absorbing and malleable qualities (which I'm sure it does if they're actually making them), aluminum will be just fine for use as a cartridge case.
    Phaedrus, RichB70 and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Ars1, don't take it personal. I started the Federal aluminum monster a few weeks ago. Up to that time I never seen Fed AL.My wife had picked some up when she was out of town and when she brought it home I was surprised that it was AL.Since that thread it seems like every Walmart has it and most folks are curious about it. Unfortunately we haven't shot it yet but do have 3 boxes.

I've put 1000+ rounds of aluminum-case ammo through my FNS-40 including 800 rounds in a defensive pistol school and it performed flawlessly. I shoot it at schools because we don't recover our brass and because this stuff is unbelievably accurate. Shoot the stuff if you want. Shoot the brass-cased stuff if it your druthers.

I generally shoot aluminum case (not federal, though) through my Shield at the range. I got it on recommendation from someone with tons of gun knowledge, and have put lots and lots of rounds through without any problems. My Shield will take anything I run through it, though. And it's about $3/box cheaper where I shop! So if your gun handles it well, go for it.
    Lmstncwby likes this.

Picked-up 10 boxes of this stuff at Wally World this morning. Wasn't there to buy ammo but for $10 a box, I'll take it. Probably gonna put 200 down the pipe of my CM9 tomorrow morning.

Lead Moderator
    No need to call out a member for asking a question. If you are not replying to his question , don't post. Several posts have been removed.
    Aceoky, Lmstncwby, G17leb and 3 others like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    Most of us have shot aluminum at points in time. It's plinking, range stuff. Most, if not all of my limited experience has been 38/357 stuff. No harm, no worries. I've never served it up as a regular diet for my sidearms but I have shot some in years past. I would strive for brass but economics sometimes rule decisions.
    RichB70 and scottync like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by oldirty9014 View Post
    Picked-up 10 boxes of this stuff at Wally World this morning. Wasn't there to buy ammo but for $10 a box, I'll take it. Probably gonna put 200 down the pipe of my CM9 tomorrow morning.
    To update, 250 down the chute this morning without a hiccup.
    MdMike likes this.

spoke too soon - went out today to dump 100 more of these rounds and had (1) failure to feed in the second mag, none thereafter though

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Most of us have shot aluminum at points in time. It's plinking, range stuff. Most, if not all of my limited experience has been 38/357 stuff. No harm, no worries. I've never served it up as a regular diet for my sidearms but I have shot some in years past. I would strive for brass but economics sometimes rule decisions.
    I picked up some aluminum Blazer in .38 Special and it did fine. I prefer brass and will buy that when available.
    BamaT likes this.

Last time I was at walmart they had an empty shelf where theses used to be. If they have em in stock next time im there I'll probably pick up a box or 10 to try out.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links