Not a 1911, but a worked over XD-45

This is a discussion on Not a 1911, but a worked over XD-45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got an XD-45 for the pure purpose of playing with it to see what could be done to make it better. One of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a 1911, but a worked over XD-45

Not a 1911, but a worked over XD-45

I got an XD-45 for the pure purpose of playing with it to see what could be done to make it better. One of the first things this one got is a lighter trigger work over for a 4. lb crisp trigger pull with adjustable pre-travel. And all of the usual internal fluffing and buffing. I also added a set of Tru-Glo Tritium/Fiber Optic sights. These sights rock! Very bright in the daylight and very nice at night. And the air gap on the back sight is just perfect for my aging eyes. Plenty of daylight showing around the front blade. I highly recommend them. Part of the reason for getting the XD was to turn it into a carry gun for myself, but also explore what could be done to the gun from a custom standpoint. I really like to checker and stipple metal guns. Well, now I have found a way to really do a nice stippling on the polymer guns. One of the things that bugged me about the grip on the XD45 is the overall size. While managable with large hands, it is still pretty big and blocky. So, I removed the front checkering. I was looking at removing the back checkering but the plastic is just too thin. I then re-radiused the front strap for a better more ergonimic feel. Then came the stippling. I have been doing some stippling on some M&P 40s with good success, so the XD was a natural. The stippling tool that I use mimicks the stippling that I like to do on metal. Random punch patterns that don't repeat too often and still offer a semi factory look and nice texture. Slimming the grip on this by removing the front checkering, re-radiusing the grips and then stippling as totally transformed the grip. It has gone from clunky, blocky and slippery hard to hold to ergonomic with the right shape and texture to make gripping it a sure and secure pleasure. Add the X2 tac light with laser and you have one very capable 14 round home defense or carry gun with a great sure grips and very shootable sights and a very nice and smooth 4 lb trigger. It was worth the work over and now is my main carry piece. I use a Blackhawk CQC setup for paddle carry with a FBI cant. Very comfortable and secure. Anyway, I talk too much. Here are the pics.

"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    First of all nice work.

I don't know about the frame mod and the stippling. I would have to handle it to see if I like it.

I do like the sights, might have to give them a try.

As for the customization... Not me... not for a CC gun anyway. I for one want a totally stock firearm to use for CC. God forbid that I ever have to draw and fire. I do not want to be on the stand listening to the prosecutor describing my mods and how I was out to kill someone just because I had made some changes.

I would keep this gun for target practice only.

Just my opinion.

There are many opinions about whether or not to change a gun for carry. A lot of people want them box stock if they have to use them in defense, and that is ok. As for me, I am going to do everything I can to make the gun just as shootable, reliable and accurate as I can if it is going to be a carry piece. Everyone of the guns that I carry is customized. Trigger pull, reliability work, tuning and polishing, plus all of the outside bling. And the trigger on the XD can be worked over for a very nice 4 lb and short reset trigger. It is all in what you want and what you feel safe carrying. In this case, I cannot imagine that some grip slimming and some stippling would be too much of a problem for the jury. Of course when I pull out the full auto MAC-10 bullet hose, that might be another story.....

Just kidding. I think that sometimes a lot of us read too much of Masad Ayoob's "expert" opinion on what should be carried and what shouldn't. And that is all I will say about that. I make my living building custom firearms, so you know where my opinion is going to be. If there is anything that can be done to make the firearm more reliable, accurate and safer and better for the person using it, then it is worthwhile to do. There are some stock guns that I can shoot the dickens out of with very minor modifications. Then there are others that just have to have everything on them touched, rebuilt, changed and polished. Plus bear in mind that a custom gun is somewhat of an expression of the person that is getting it built. To them, it is what the firearm should be so that it comes close to being the perfect firearm for whatever use the person wants to have it modified for. For example, there are very few 1911s out there out of the box that could not benefit from at least some fluff and buff, reliability work and a good trigger job, but that is another story. At least we are able to do some work on the polymer guns to make them more usable and personalized.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com

VIP Member
    Very nice work!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Nice work on the XD, seems as their popularity grows the customization prospects do as well. Also some sweet burl scales on that CRKT -- M-16, I think?
    Jack

I have a Glock 21 that I have modified by removing the finger grooves and stippling the grip. Internally, I have reworked the trigger. Sights are Meprolights, (the Truglo night sights were not available when I reworked this gun) and added a weapons light. Makes an excellent house gun with the 14rds of .45! Still looks like a turd as the Glocks and XD's do, but functional. Nice job on the XD!
    str1

That is a very nice piece. What did you use for the stippling?

Looks good! I love my XDs...

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Nice work indeed. I am curious as to the benefits of fiber optics, if any, over the tritium night sights. Sights are next on my list for my XD45C.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Nice work indeed. I am curious as to the benefits of fiber optics, if any, over the tritium night sights. Sights are next on my list for my XD45C.
    I have the Tru-Glo TFOs on my carry Glock, and they are great.

In lighted conditions, the fiber is waaaaaaaaaay better than the daytime picture of traditional tritium night sights. Then, with the TFOs you get the tritium light at night as well. These are great all-around sights for a carry gun.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Administrator
    Looks great & the gripping surface looks very positive.
    You did a nice job and managed to make it look quite attractive.

thanks all. Just one more thing to add to the website and keep me busy. And I still plan to keep things affordable.

Jess

Great job, Jess. Only thing missing is the solid guide rod. Breakage of the stock piece is rare, but $25 bucks is cheap insurance.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

sweet.

love that XD.

40SC, and 45ACP here, my two fav's

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Very nice work. Looks like something I wouldnt mind having done to my XD45.
    Fear No Evil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links