Gp 100 4" 357 mag !

This is a discussion on Gp 100 4" 357 mag ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many still use the big 357 mag for a housegun and ccw weapon or trunk-car gun,woods trail gun? I am mighty fond of this ...

Thread: Gp 100 4" 357 mag !

Gp 100 4" 357 mag !

How many still use the big 357 mag for a housegun and ccw weapon or trunk-car gun,woods trail gun? I am mighty fond of this Gp-100 for all the above uses. They are one reliable dependable service wheelgun. With the comman 125gr. hp load from the big 3 or just the plain 100 rd Rem 125gr. HP value pack from Wally world or Dicks there in the plus %95 in one shot stops. A proven manstopper with near 4 some decades of papered L.E. shootings from 100 of shootings on the street. Don,t discount a good 4" 357 mag service gun for any of the above uses. And in stainless a very weather and sweat proof manstopper or animal in the woods with the 180gr. heavy loads. A good working man wheelgun. You would be hard pressed to find a more usefull powerfull dependable handgun.

2. Remove Ads

Aggreed, the GP100 is a great gun. I still have one and use it regularly, mostly for shooting and carrying around the woods. I don't use it as much as I used to since getting a Redhawk in 44 Mag a few years ago, wife now has laid almost total claim to the GP100, but hey that is ok, it is a great gun for her.

I however prefer to load with 158 gr lead, and adjust the powder depending on the usage for the bullet, but 125's are good too.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

+1 - The GP100 is a great gun...

I have put so many rounds through it I have lost track how many. I have put every different thing though it and NEVER had an issue. I don't use mine for carry, but it is my primary home defense weapon of choice. .357 is a fantastic defense round and the GP100 is a great weapon, and the two together are unbelievable. It's the oldest weapon in my collection, but I could never sell it.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't own one but have just finished my own search for a .357. I came so close to getting the GP100 but opted for the SP101 w/3" barrel. If you're going to use it in the home, for range work, in the woods, I personally don't think you could possibly do better. Period. I do think it's awfully heavy for concealed carry and not practical for that at all unless you're a big tall fella. Even carrying it for hiking, fishing, etc, I think it will get heavy but understanding the weight I believe it'll be a pleasure to shoot and I don't think you can go wrong with it. I still might get one myself one day but would probably get a 6" barrel and use it for whitetail deer.

Enjoy your weapon of choice!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Picture from D. Hart - GP100 3 inch

One of the better gun photographers who posts on the web is D. Hart, and here is his shot of a Ruger GP100 with 3 inch barrel. It is a solid gun for any application:

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    One of the better gun photographers who posts on the web is D. Hart, and here is his shot of a Ruger GP100 with 3 inch barrel. It is a solid gun for any application:

Great pic! Have one just like it, great revolver.

I have one that is the dark grey target finish. A very good looking piece.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The short butt 3" fixed site version is a good packing wheelgun. It packs as easy or better than a full size goverment model 1911. I like the 3" ruger,but having a SW 66-1 2.5 I can see no need for it. But in the 4" adjustable site model it makes a good mid to large size combat magnum or holster street or back woods gun. In the high ride pancake it packs as good or better than the big auto,s Sig 226,G17,22,21,1911,Berretta 92 and such. The grip on the Gp-100 is thinner and don,t show as bad as the big fat auto,s. And interesting turn is to put the shorter grip on the 4" Gp100 and this makes it pack real easy. For a long lasting trouble free handgun or a SHTF save your bacon combat gun you would be hard pressed to find a tougher hard as nails reliable hangun. In stainless of course and in the 4" which makes it handy to carry and bulletproof from wear and tear. THe Gp 100 will last longer than most other wheelguns with out going out of time or shooting loose. Like the old SW M-19 which was handy ,but could not hold up to the pounding of the newer loads like the 125gr. full throttle loads. Sorry Bill Jordan,but the K-frame cannot take a steady diet of those loads. In holsters I like the Don Hume open top pancake strongside at 4:30 with Jacket on or shirtout,sweatshirt ,sweater A few reloads and a few more in the car and a spare 100rd pack of Rem. 125 gr. value pack Hp,s Old school maybe ,but you can move to the front of the class for reliable effective stopping power in a tank tuff foolproof Gp-100. How how does it shoot? 2" groups at 25 yds off rest and at 7yds DA a ragged cluster! For you that grew up on auto,s give the Gp-100 a try and rediscover the oldschool art of combat wheelgun shooting.

Links