New CCW options sig p229 elite or xdm 4.5

This is a discussion on New CCW options sig p229 elite or xdm 4.5 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone I'm pretty new to guns. My first and only hand gun is a H&K p30s 9mm It's my edc. I'm thinking about trading ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New CCW options sig p229 elite or xdm 4.5

Hey everyone I'm pretty new to guns. My first and only hand gun is a H&K p30s 9mm It's my edc. I'm thinking about trading it in though. There's nothing wrong with it it's amazing. There are just 2 other guns out there I might like more. First is the sig p229 elite. The H&K has an amazing grip and feels right in my hand. The Sig feels even better though because it's metal and feels more "real" in my hands if anyone understands what I'm saying. I don't have a problem with DA/SA system my service weapon is the m9. I also like that I can buy 10 rnd mags for the sig also just in case I'm ever in cali, or new york or end up having to relocate to places like those. I'll be covered by LEOSA next year but we'll still abide by state rules, meaning if I end up having to live in New York I read I can have a gun with a 10 rnd mag and keep 7 rnds in the mag. My other choice is the xdm 4.5. I love the 1911 safety and the grip on it. The Sig still feels better but the xdm feels great as well. The rnd cap in the mags are great but that might not be a necessity since I plan on getting a FN 5.7 next year and using that in any area with no rnd cap. I just need opinions from people who have shot the p229 and or xdm 4.5 and concealed them also. I live in Indiana right now so currently gun laws are not bad. I just can't go and shoot them both since I'm 20.

Distinguished Member
    229 all day long and twice on Sunday. It's in the same class of quality as the HK, and it's a Sig. No comparison to the XDm really.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

After owning a P226 and a XDsc i have to suggest the P229. The P226 is the only gun of many that i have ever regreted selling. That says alot considering I sold off an M1 garand. The XD was and is a great gun but is not in the same league as the Sig. I think you have answered your own question though. You said the Sig feels better and has a manual of arms that you are already use to, so get the Sig. The only thing that might be a game changer is if you instinctively shoot the XDm MUCH better than the Sig. Though you can train to shoot great with any gun it is hard to beat a gun that naturally points and aims for you.

Lastly, the Sig offers the abbility to change the feel of the grip. You can get the old style grips, thin aluminum grips, the E2 grips, short reset trigger, and/or the short reach trigger. My Sig always felt great, but once i changed to the E2 grip it was perfect for me. It is why I will be getting another one as a Christmas present to me. I have serious doubts that you will regret or have second thoughts about getting the P229. Good luck in your choice.

Edit: I forgot Sig's "To hell and back" reliability. Over 3 milion rounds of goverment testing and counting.
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I like the XDm a lot. I've looked at them many times. But I love my 229sas in .40.Twelve rounds in a metal gun and reload of 14 rounds. The 229 is the gun I wanted since it came out back in early 90's. Just last year I was finally in a position to get one, and I did.
    Cleandean likes this.

I was looking fot a P229 SAS in three local stores. No go. In the last store, I was real happy to find a Sig P227 Nitron Carry. As I already load my own in .45ACP. ( The wait for a P229, didn't satisfy me) I am soo glad I made the better choice for me. My new Sig P227 is the gun I should have had, when I was a Tavern Owner .
    Eric357 likes this.
    NRA member..... S&W mod. 58; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); 8 in Colt Python (nickle) ;/ SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    ..41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

The 227 is a nice gun.I wouldn't mind one at all.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A P229 SCT is my every day carry right now; I have owned three in the past 20 years of owning/CCW'ing firearms, it is one of my favorite pistols. I carry it in an Appalachian Concealment (my company) AIWB, it simply disappears.
    IMG_0594.jpg IMG_0579.jpg

I also own an XD Service, not anything wrong with it, but I much prefer a the Sig.

Being that you are 20 you have many years of trial, buying, selling, and swapping guns ahead of you, it's an expensive yet rewarding experience. I couldn't even begin to list what guns I have owned, many traded and then re-acquired later. Just get your bills paid, live up to your responsibilities and train/shoot as much as you can.
    Eric357 likes this.

P229 for sure over the XDm!

VIP Member
    Sig M-11A-1 is also a viable option (a variant of the 229)
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    229 in .357 Sig with the .40 barrel.

I owned or owend both ... Couple points :
    1. The xdm in 9mm or 40 has no 10 round mags period no one makes them .. In ca they have to pin the mag to 10 .. That said 19 rounds is nice ..

To me each his own ... What feels best for you ..

I own the 40 cal 229 DAK .. mags are cheep and the gun is one of my go to guns

Top gun is the 229

I will say the the SAS dak 229 is pretty
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Very pretty. Makes my sas look a little plain. Nice group of sigs you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Very pretty. Makes my sas look a little plain. Nice group of sigs you have there.

Scary part is thats a old photo
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Stoveman likes this.

VIP Member
    This is turning into a "Show Us Your 229's" thread and I'm down with the struggle.....

Eric357 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links