A little fun at the range

This is a discussion on A little fun at the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It pains me to admit this, but I went to the range today for the first time in months! It has been too long. I ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By BamaT
  • 6 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By swkenobi
  • 1 Post By Eric357

Thread: A little fun at the range

It pains me to admit this, but I went to the range today for the first time in months! It has been too long. I took along the trusty Glock 27 and about 250 rounds of various ammo to try out.

I ended up shooting 237 rounds to be exact. 199 rounds of Freedom Munitions re-manufactured ammo. 20 rounds of Critical Defense. 9 rounds of Federal Hi-Shok. Lastly, 9 rounds of Hornady XTP's.

All in all everything went fine, except for two hang ups. The first was a fail to return to battery with one of the Freedom Munition rounds. I thought a nudge with the thumb to the slide would fix it, but it appeared to be the round. I loaded it into a different magazine and the round would no chamber all the way. I blame the round and not the Glock.

The second hang up was a fail to feed with the Critical Defense. It was the last round in the magazine and the round was cocked about 45 degrees upwards and hung up on the feed ramp. Maybe the tip of the ammo got caught on the ramp. I blame the gun on this one.

The brings my ammo count to about 750-800 rounds in my Glock 27. I have had only one other failure with this gun prior to the one today. Even with those two, I still feel comfortable carrying this gun. However, I am considering other guns for carry at this time. Revolvers anyone?

I was able to check out their display cases to jot down some gun prices.

S&W Shield - $449
    S&W 642 - $449
    LCR .38 - $459
    PPS - $599
    CW 380 - $359

IMG_20140915_181434.jpg

IMG_20140915_194333.jpg

I've returned to wheel guns for the most part, usually carrying an LCR 38 with tritium front sight usually in a pocket holster, or a recently acquired 2" model 64 Smith IWB. No need for tap rack bang drills, if a round fails to fire, just pull the trigger again.
    Phaedrus and Eric357 like this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    When I shoot a semi auto, I hope it goes bang. When I shoot a revolver, I have confidence that it will go bang or do not even think about it. Over the last 40+ years I have had more than my fair share of semi auto jams, including Glocks and other top names. Never had a revolver fail on me and I do not have to test it with various ammo. My snub noses shoot anything I feed them. Both times when I used a gun, just showing it saved the day.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I've returned to wheel guns for the most part, usually carrying an LCR 38 with tritium front sight usually in a pocket holster, or a recently acquired 2" model 64 Smith IWB. No need for tap rack bang drills, if a round fails to fire, just pull the trigger again.
    That reminds me, I really do need to get the tritium front sight for my LCR. Is yours an XS sight?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

kpw
    Revolvers tend to be very reliable but bullets can and will jump the crimp and bind the cylinder. I've had it happen a good half dozen times over the years. Usually lead bullets but jacketed bullets aren't immune to it. Latest was with a 642 and Win 158 +P.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I just ordered 500 rds of 38's from Freedom. They are running a 24 hour sale on 38's with 125 grain xtp bullets. ( About 32 cents a round with shipping). I have used a lot of their ammo. The only problems I have had was with their AR ammo. It would lose the primer when fired and the loose primer would cause the gun to jam. Someone told me that was because of a worn primer pocket on the reloaded ammo. That does not seem to be a problem with 45's and 38's, just rifle ammo. I don't know what I will do with the rest of the AR ammo I have from them. I am a bit afraid to use it.

Three quick comments -

1. While every gun is different, I've got about 4K rounds through my G27 and have probably had a handful or less failures altogether using any type of ammo. I've run my in training in the Nevada desert, shooting hundreds of rounds and not cleaning it once, without problems.

2. The problem could be a magazine so it is good to track that. Regardless, it might be worth having someone take it apart and inspect it. Pretty easy to do and likely pretty inexpensive.

3. I've shot a ton of Freedom Munitions ammo (new and remanufactured) in many calibers, and the only issues that I've had is with .380 in my G42. Otherwise, it burns clean, doesn't have a huge flame (nice for low light training), is accurate and goes bang when I press the trigger. I also shoot (and carry) Critical Defense, and have never had a problem with that ammo. So, my guess is that the problem lies somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    That reminds me, I really do need to get the tritium front sight for my LCR. Is yours an XS sight?
    Yes it is, the standard dot.
    NRA Life Member

That's a lot for shield. Got the wife's for about $400 and often see them as low as $379

I paid $439 for my Shield. A LGS in the next county over sells them for $399. If you get the Shield I don't think you will be disappointed because they are great guns. I have had issues with two different Glock firearms myself. They are usually very reliable, but they aren't perfect.

$387 at an LGS for my Shield with no safety. So far 200 rounds through it with no issues. I another 400 rounds through my XD .45 with no issues either. Only time I had a problem was with my 1911 and that was the magazines fault.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post

This is another reason I love revolvers and even ancient da/sa designed semi's.(not for a fte, bt for a ftf.)
    BamaT likes this.

Sponsored Links