Finally made the CZ RAMI in 40s&w reliable

This is a discussion on Finally made the CZ RAMI in 40s&w reliable within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a CZ RAMI in 40 S&W, which are notoriously unreliable (FTF). While it would function just fine with "range" ammo, it would not ...

Thread: Finally made the CZ RAMI in 40s&w reliable

Distinguished Member

Finally made the CZ RAMI in 40s&w reliable

I purchased a CZ RAMI in 40 S&W, which are notoriously unreliable (FTF). While it would function just fine with "range" ammo, it would not feed any rounds with any power to them, hollow point or not. I polished the mag lips and replaced the mag springs with Wolff springs for the cz/ea 75 in 9mm, 15 rounds, 15% stronger. I cut them to fit (one loop longer than the factory spring). The mag springs after a couple of days loaded compressed to the same length as the factory springs. While it still will not feed 155-180 grain bullets reliably (I think the factory recoil spring is just too weak and there is no after market springs available) it feeds 135 grain Cor-Bon hollow points one after another without fail. 120 rounds today at the range and not 1 FTF.

I guess it will finally make for carry gun.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

This is just me talking but, I don't think I would trust my life and the lives of my family to any gun that I had that much to just to get it to feed reliably. And you say yourself that it still will not feed some ammo.

The only guns I have ever carried are guns that have never given me any kind of problem. My Sig P239 has never malfunctioned in any way. The XD .40 sc never malfunctioned in any way. The PT-111 has never malfunctioned in any way.

Like I said, this is just me, but I couldn't do it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    Oh, I still have to run a couple of hundred more rounds of the 135 cor bon through it before I will consider it for carry. I just got it for cheap and thought I might be able to rehab it.

I have put about 440 rounds of the 135 grain thru it to date and it hasn't had any problems with the light bullets. And it functions without fail with range ammo. It just will not take the heavier weight hotter bullets.

I understand your concern, I have it as well and unless I am fully confident that it will function with the ammo I am carrying, it won't get a place in the rotation.

Thanks for your concern, Shipmate.

This does bring up an interesting thought. I wonder how many people operationally check their carry weapon with the ammo they carry and how many rounds do they put through their weapon with that ammo before they are comfortable with it???????

A new thread???
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

The only problem I've had with my RAMI .40 is hollow points feeding when the ramp is dirty. Any other problems were user error.

I have been told that CZ has solved the reliabilty issues with the 40 RAMI. My wife has one of the first 9mm RAMI pistols, (probably THE first in AZ), and it has been absolutely reliable with any factory ammo.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    This does bring up an interesting thought. I wonder how many people operationally check their carry weapon with the ammo they carry and how many rounds do they put through their weapon with that ammo before they are comfortable with it???????

A new thread???
    I try to put at least 100 rounds of JHP ammo through the gun & magazines (after it has been broken in on FMJ ammo. If it functions fine at that point, I can trust it. If not (and I've never had this problem), I would try a different round for reliability.

It's a shame that the CZ 2075 (RAMI) still seems to be bothered by problems in it's 40 S&W chambering. CZ's RAMI is a very good gun at a very reasonable price, but while the 9mm RAMI has had very few reports of problems, the 40 has had ammo related gremlins since the beginning, close to three years ago. I don't know if it's the extra power of the 40 S&W or what, but I had seriously considered a RAMI 40 (I own several other CZ's and have been VERY happy with them) as an alternative to a Para Warthog, but there are just too many bugs still happening to warrant the expense and dealing with potential problems.

I had also been tempted to buy a RAMI in 9mm, but I already have several compact 9's and finally, just couldn't justify the expense. Considering how CZ is noted for its quality and reliability, I'm surprised at the number of RAMI 40 problems STILL being reported.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Links