Ruger SP101 owners here check in

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 owners here check in within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a used but like new ruger sp101 in .357 and have to say its the most shootable .357 snubby I've ever owned ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 owners here check in

I recently purchased a used but like new ruger sp101 in .357 and have to say its the most shootable .357 snubby I've ever owned and it looks awsome to boot.,I love this gun! So I was just wondering what you other guys here who own these rugged little snubbies think of them oh and please post pics of you sp101's and your carry rigs. I'll be posting pics of mine as soon as get home and get my digicam.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - mine was EDC for a good long while before I switched to SIG - love the gun even tho heavy but, that suits me fine. Hate these lightweight deals! Just me.

I have one or two pics of the gun in rigs - but will have to dig ...........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahh well - here is the original - way back. A Jim Burke (outa Paris TX - sadly died later in 2003 after I bought the rig from him at Dallas gun show).

I then as that got real worn had Kevin of K&D make me a copy .... here very new before it got bedded in ......

Last edited by P95Carry; January 20th, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I'm with ya. It's my carry gun. Built like a tank and actually fun to shoot with full load .357's. One range session, I blew the whole 50 rnd box through it and had nothing but a tired trigger finger at the end (shot mostly double action).

Don't think I have any pics, but maybe I can remedy that situation on my weekend coming up.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I made a big mistake and sold mine last year - regreted it the next day! About 3 months later I bought another one and will never sell this one!!
    Put some "Secret Service" style grips from Eagle Grips on it and a sweet holster from my favorite holster maker (K & D Holsters)

(I need a new picture - I don't have the gun fully seated and the trigger is showing)

Love mine. Wolf Springs, Trijicon front sight, bead blasted, Eagle Secret Service grips. Still looking for the 'perfect' holster though and thinking about having the hammer bobbed.

I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well, I might be getting ahead of myself but if you'll allow it, I'm picking my SP101 3" up on Tuesday.

I have an S&W J frame but no other revolvers and no .357 so this is a step up that addes the .357 in a belt hoster model. I don't need it because I have a P9 that is an outstanding CCW, but I just love it and it fits me better than any other gun I ever had in my hand.

I will get it worked on one day by Gemini.

Question: Do you guys who've gotten your hammer's bobbed regret it? On a 3" gun that I won't be carrying in a pocket, I think I should probably leave it on so I can shoot SA when out in the woods or at the range if I want to. What would you guys do? I have to admit, the 3" bobbed is a fine looking piece!

As for holsters, I have an Andrews Custom Leather's "McDaniels" IWB on order and I'm still looking for a good OWB holster. The K&D pictured above sure looks good and I like the idea that I can it on and take it off without having to thread my belt.

Kevin; Question for you, how tight does the K&D holster hold your weapon against your side?

Love seeing the pictures of the ones you have!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Ruger SP101 357 Magnum 2.25" owner here too!

Sp 101

Hi gang,

I have not been here in a long time, but this thread has sparked my interest. I am heading out to a show tomorrow and hope to find a bobbed hammer SP101. My favorite carry piece is actually a 3" GP 100 and I feel the need to add the little brother to the mix. So, if all goes well I will be posting a range report soon.

Take care,
    Adrian AKA blacksan
    Last edited by blacksan; January 21st, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

I have a beautiful snubby sp101 in target grey stainless with a set of C/T grips.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Nice very nice!

Assistant Administrator
    I have not been here in a long time
    Adrian - I'll say!!!! Thought you'd gotten lost in ''the valley'' Good to see you here again.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar

SP101

My SP is the 2" bobbed mdl. I like the factory grips but always wondered how the C.T.Grips are as felt recoil to the hand. I never liked wood grips because they hurt with full house 357. All my 357s have rubber grips. I did see that C.T. has rubber for the SP now but I don't know if it's verry soft. Anybody ? .

Assistant Administrator
    I did see that C.T. has rubber for the SP now but I don't know if it's verry soft. Anybody ? .
    I can't speak for rubbers altho I have Hogues on my old M85 - and prefer the feel of them.

I can say that my CT's, which are the hard material - are not over kind with hot loads - a downside somewhat. That said I only ever carried with CorBon +P's and they were very bearable. I don't really, despite not being to recoil sensitive at all - like shooting full house loads out of a .357 snub, even one with some weight like the SP.

If it wasn't for the expense, I'd consider swapping out my hard CT's for rubber but seeing as that gun is no longer EDC I doubt I will bother.
    Chris - P95

2.25/DAO SP101 for me. Great shooter and at 25 oz., hardly onerous for belt carry. I don't shoot full power .357's either, but I like the Rem. .357 Golden Saber. (Guess they're "mid-range" loads). Anyway, they're accurate and shoot very close to point of aim in my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well, I might be getting ahead of myself but if you'll allow it, I'm picking my SP101 3" up on Tuesday.

I have an S&W J frame but no other revolvers and no .357 so this is a step up that addes the .357 in a belt hoster model. I don't need it because I have a P9 that is an outstanding CCW, but I just love it and it fits me better than any other gun I ever had in my hand.

I will get it worked on one day by Gemini.

Question: Do you guys who've gotten your hammer's bobbed regret it? On a 3" gun that I won't be carrying in a pocket, I think I should probably leave it on so I can shoot SA when out in the woods or at the range if I want to. What would you guys do? I have to admit, the 3" bobbed is a fine looking piece!

As for holsters, I have an Andrews Custom Leather's "McDaniels" IWB on order and I'm still looking for a good OWB holster. The K&D pictured above sure looks good and I like the idea that I can it on and take it off without having to thread my belt.

Kevin; Question for you, how tight does the K&D holster hold your weapon against your side?

Love seeing the pictures of the ones you have!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Welcome to the SP101 family!!

I have a .357 with 2.25" barrel and LOVE it!! One day mine will be sent to Gemini Customs also - he does fantastic work I am told. I do NOT plan to get the hammer bobbed as I like the option of single action shooting.

I have a Milt Sparks PMK holster for mine and like it very much.

I will NEVER sell this handgun.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links