Do you operationally check your weapon & ammo?

This is a discussion on Do you operationally check your weapon & ammo? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thread I started (RAMI reliability) begged the question: How many rounds (of the type you use for carry, not practice) do you put through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Another thread I started (RAMI reliability) begged the question: How many rounds (of the type you use for carry, not practice) do you put through your carry weapons before you are comfortable with its reliability?

I have to put at least 500 rounds of the type I will use for carry with NO malfunctions before I am comfortable to use for carry.

You?
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - not that many here!!!

Guess it's an economics thing bearing in mind costs of good carry ammo. I will ''punish'' my carry piece with what is potentially lower grade JHP's such as WWB and then reckon to ''prove'' it with a coupla mags at least of carry ammo - which is still 30 or so!

I was lucky a ways back and got a 1,000 rounds of Speer GD 124's +P at a gun show so can be more liberal with useage of those but - even so - too much just hurts my pocket and the SIG eats most fodder!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Depends usually i will test the gun with 500 of factory or dirty reloads if not problems there i will shoot couple boxes of the chosen carry if it runs were good to go

VIP Member
    P95,

Check out the RAMI thread. Made me glad I used my carry ammo for more than just a couple of mags.
    Last edited by Chorizo; January 21st, 2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Used wrong name
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Operationally, once a month. Ammo, change out once ever 6 months or after my semi annual bath.

John
    John P Serra
    US Navy, MMC(ss) Ret.
    Former Undercover NIS Operative
    Former LEO, SDPD, SDSO
    Former California PI
    Former Bounty Enforcement Agent
    Naval Range Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Author, Kokopelli's Flute
    www.johnserra.com

VIP Member
    My usual carry gun is a 2 Gen Glock 23. I have no way of knowing how many Golden Sabers or Ranger SXT it has eaten, but it isn't a low number. However, I don't feel that it needs to go through a ton of ammo for me to trust it. If a gun will eat the cheap stuff and cycle through a couple of mags of my carry ammo, I am confient that it will work when I need it to work.

If I was carrying a 1911 or other gun that is more picky about what it eats, my opinion might change. But, with the Glock, I have never had a problem, and I don't expect to start.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

box maybe two I am only check functionality, shooting 500 rounds only proves that your gun likes them not the reliability of the all that type of ammo.
    I have seen bad primers in some remington GS that were well struck but didn't fire that doesn't stop me from carrying them. Ammo did fire after reinserting into mag.
    Different lot #'s may be better or worse than others also does the manufacture produce all components for their cartriges or do they get primers and brass else where. If a contractor makes mistakes on the primer the rest doesn't matter.
    The only guarantied good ammo is one that has already been fired.

Six.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

I usually will put 500-700 rounds through a new pistol before I will carry it. As for carry ammo, around 100 rounds before it is a carry staple. Then I usually go through three to four mags of my carry ammo each time I practice.

I'll put a couple 100 (usually over 500) rounds of cheap and dirty ammo through a weapon and at least two mags worth of "good" defense ammo. About every 2 or 3 months I fire off the good and replace it with new stuff.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I've put close to 4K through my CCW gun to include approx 500 of my Golden Saber duplicates. I reload the the bulk GSs to the same OAL and MV as factory stuff. So it costs me about $18 per 100 compared to $25 per 25.

I usually finish every range session with a couple mags worth of my pseudo GSs just to get the lead from my SWC loads out.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Every Saturday, whether I need it or not I take a shower. Usually, every Saturday, in the morning, before I take the shower, whether I need it or not, I try to take one of the litter to the range and do a box or so, to make sure gremlins didn't take over and just to keep up the feel of a gun in my hand. Sometimes, 2 go with me, one for me and one for my daughter who is learning to shoot better that dad. Then we expend one mag of carry ammo.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

If it is new then I put about 250rds through it before I CCW it.

Cheap Wolf Ammo...

Got a 1000 rounds for $108...

It took some time, but I cleaned the crap off individual shells and then reboxed it...works great!

I also use other brand names...never have done any reloading...no desire to start...

Shoot approximately 300 - 600 rounds per range visit...of hard ball...
    I only shoot 50 rounds (or less) of the SD ammo I carry...I use the good stuff at a minimum...Sometimes I only empty the two mags I carry and then reload the two carry mags with fresh SD rounds...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wondered who was buying all that high dollar carry ammo at a buck per pop! I buy pistols of a proven design and run a mag full of carry ammo thru each magazine for that pistol. Given that the pistol and mag are properly maintained, in my experience, if it functions with those, it will continue to do so. Once a year I shoot and replace my carry ammo. Spend a grand on ammo for testing if you like, but not this ole boy! Of course I do maintain and shoot my carry guns a lot,
    with reloads of course.
    str1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links