9mm LCR

9mm LCR

This is a discussion on 9mm LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger has announced that they are now producing the LCR in 9mm. LCR9mm.png I already own two 9mm SP101s, 2" and 3" so I'm all ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 9mm LCR

Thumbs up 9mm LCR

Ruger has announced that they are now producing the LCR in 9mm.
    LCR9mm.png

I already own two 9mm SP101s, 2" and 3" so I'm all for 9mm revolvers. Moon clips aren't all that bad and really are pretty handy once you get used to them. For those who say "why not go the route that Charter Arms did with the Pitbull?" If they work so well why isn't Charter selling them by the truckload?

The only thing hanging me up on this new 9mm LCR is that it basically weighs the same as the 357 LCR and that extra weight may just be too much for me to consider dumping my 38SPL LCR for the heavier 9mm LCR. I primarily pocket carry and a few extra ounces can make a world of difference.

9mm ammo is more plentiful and cheaper. And, 9mm performs better out of a short barrel than 38SPL or 357 Mag which is really best out of a 4" barrel or bigger. IMO 357 Mag shot out of snubbies is for masochists and machismo. Great round yes, but not out of a 2" barrel with extra recoil and flash.

No caliber war intended here, but no matter what, if you carry a 9mm this LCR could be a great BUG.

Still happy that Ruger has listened to the public. But for the sake of the value of my 9mm SP101s I hope they don't reintroduce those.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_...R-5456-9mm.pdf
    Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You said this uses moon clips?
    I wonder why they don't chamber the cylinder like they do for their 45acp Vaqueros.

ETA: I just thought about ejection. That must be why they need clips, where a SA wouldn't.

This may convince me to get another LCR.... I am very intrigues

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    fredg53 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    You said this uses moon clips?
    I wonder why they don't chamber the cylinder like they do for their 45acp Vaqueros.
    Yup, it uses moon clips. At the Ruger online store they have them ridiculously overpriced at $19.95 for 3 moon clips.
    LCR® 9mm Moon Clips-ShopRuger

Over at Midway the moon clips that work in my SP101s and S&W 940's cost $9.99 for 8 moon clips.
    Ranch Full Moon Clip 9mm Luger 5-Round Blue Package of 8
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I really like the 9mm as a SD round but the only plus I can see it getting in a revolver is that it would use the same ammo as the semis I already own. I would think if I was going to go the way of the revolver which I can't see doing that and cutting the capacity that I have right now in more than half with slower reloads I think I would stick with a 38 special. I love the 10mm but if I feel if I was looking at a full sized revolver I would stick with the 357 mag because the ballistics are close and I would be shooting a round designed to go into a revolver.

1 7/8 inch barrel may diminish the ability of most 9mm ammo to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you who have used moon clips with rimless cartridges: do the clips bend frequently? How do you carry reloads without bending them? The moon clip carriers that I have seen have been bulky things that stick out from the belt.

Always have been intrigued by a 9 mm revolver, but never got one could not justify getting another snub that just did not give me that much more in ballistics than my .38 spl or my .357 to many good rounds out there for short barrels. That said if I did not own several snubs might have jumped on that wagon.

Same with these. Think speed loaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Ruger has announced that they are now producing the LCR in 9mm.
    LCR9mm.png

I already own two 9mm SP101s, 2" and 3" so I'm all for 9mm revolvers. Moon clips aren't all that bad and really are pretty handy once you get used to them. For those who say "why not go the route that Charter Arms did with the Pitbull?" If they work so well why isn't Charter selling them by the truckload?

The only thing hanging me up on this new 9mm LCR is that it basically weighs the same as the 357 LCR and that extra weight may just be too much for me to consider dumping my 38SPL LCR for the heavier 9mm LCR. I primarily pocket carry and a few extra ounces can make a world of difference.

9mm ammo is more plentiful and cheaper. And, 9mm performs better out of a short barrel than 38SPL or 357 Mag which is really best out of a 4" barrel or bigger. IMO 357 Mag shot out of snubbies is for masochists and machismo. Great round yes, but not out of a 2" barrel with extra recoil and flash.

No caliber war intended here, but no matter what, if you carry a 9mm this LCR could be a great BUG.

Still happy that Ruger has listened to the public. But for the sake of the value of my 9mm SP101s I hope they don't reintroduce those.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_...R-5456-9mm.pdf
    Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models
    I carry a LCR357 in my pocket quit often. It carries about as good as a J-Frame except the grip on the J-Frame is smaller. The weight should not be an issue unless you wear light weight pants.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My local gun pusher keeps trying to get me to buy revolvers in semi auto calibers but the moon clips are a pain in the butt. Unless you spend money on a moon clip tool, you end up twisting the clips and removing them after they expand is no fun at all. Then you have to carry those bulky moon clips in your pocket which are almost as wide as a revolver cylinder. I tried it once and gave up on it. Go to the range and try to shoot 100 rounds with moon clips sometime. Just not worth it. My .357 J-frame with magnum ammo or .38 +P, is good enough for me.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

JD
    Administrator
    Want

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    My local gun pusher keeps trying to get me to buy revolvers in semi auto calibers but the moon clips are a pain in the butt. Unless you spend money on a moon clip tool, you end up twisting the clips and removing them after they expand is no fun at all. Then you have to carry those bulky moon clips in your pocket which are almost as wide as a revolver cylinder. I tried it once and gave up on it. Go to the range and try to shoot 100 rounds with moon clips sometime. Just not worth it. My .357 J-frame with magnum ammo or .38 +P, is good enough for me.
    Our moon clip experiences must differ. Because I frequently go to the range with 30 moon clips loaded up and I fire all 150 rounds and find it easier to manage the empties than dumping my empty 38 SPL casings into a plastic bag.

I have yet to bend any of my moon clips to the point of there being inoperable. Moon clips aren't the end all be all but I really like them.

In the rare case that I do carry one of my 9mm SP101s the 4 moon extra moon clips go into a speed loader case on my belt. Haven't bent those either.

KoB
    I guess I'll continue to wait patiently for that LCR .44spl....

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I forget who, but someone makes a nifty speedloader/moon clip carrier that holds a single moon clip or speedloader above the belt line so that it straddles the belt. Conceals a lot better that way.

I would be interested in this gun. But I still want a six-shot .327 LCR with a 2.5" barrel.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links