S&W 9mm

S&W 9mm

This is a discussion on S&W 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting a new firearm for when the weather gets warmer. I was considering the S&W CS9 or the 908. I would ...

Thread: S&W 9mm

S&W 9mm

I am thinking about getting a new firearm for when the weather gets warmer. I was considering the S&W CS9 or the 908. I would like double action only.

For those of you that own either of these two:

How do they compare in size to a G26 or G27? How do they compare in size to a Kahr MK or PM9? More so the thickness of the slide. If it is no thinner than a G27 than I might as well just carry the one that I own. I am looking for something that will be comfortable IWB at 4 o'clock. I had a Kahr MK9 and a G36 that fit that role but I got rid of both of them for different reasons.

What is the trigger pull on a DAO?

Can they handle +p+ rounds?

And ofcourse, are they reliable?

I would appreciate comments from anyone who could answer any of these questions.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The CS9 is about the same size as the G26 but thiner. The 908 is longer than the CS9.

DAO Smiths are generally smooth and consistant. I have not used a trigger pull to test but I use my 6946 (double stack version of the 908/39xx) for IDPA.

All 3rd Generation Smiths can handle atleast +P at a minimum and most handle +P+. I don't use either in my 6946 but choose what you want.

Of the two smiths for carry, it would be the CS9.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    My S&W 5906 is a good 9mm. It's heavy and accurate. However, for carry, I'll take my Glock 27 any day of the week.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by NY27
    I was considering the S&W CS9 or the 908. I would like double action only.
    Neither of these models is available new in DAO. I understand that there used to be a DAO version of the CS9 available, but S&W no longer catalogs it. Maybe a few shops still have them.

This is according to an e-mail exchange that I had with a representative of S&W just a month or so ago.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will go and handle a them at the gun shop and see what feels good.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

FJC
    I owned a CS9 for a while. Decent little shooter, but I found that the grip area was very thick. There's a large palm swell on the included grips, and no one made any slimmer after-market grips (this was a few years back, perhaps that's changed now).

Links