Full size 1911

Full size 1911

This is a discussion on Full size 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a big 1911 fan. Right now i have a ultra carry 1911 and am lokking to get another 1911 in a 9mm or ...

View Poll Results: Which do you carry the Most

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5" Steel

71 41.28%
  • 5" Lightweight

5 2.91%
  • 4 1/4" Steel

17 9.88%
  • 4 1/4" Lightweight

18 10.47%
  • 4" Steel

11 6.40%
  • 4" Lightweight

18 10.47%
  • 3 1/2" lightweight

4 2.33%
  • 3 1/2" Steel

6 3.49%
  • 3" Steel

6 3.49%
  • 3" Lightweight

16 9.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full size 1911

Full size 1911

I am a big 1911 fan. Right now i have a ultra carry 1911 and am lokking to get another 1911 in a 9mm or .40 cal. I was looking on a 1911 forum and looking at the pictures people post of there 1911 and notice that most people full size 1911, and was thinking do people carry theses full size 1911's?
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

yep i have and still do every-now and then

typically because of the amount of driving i do i carry a 4 1/4 commander size more comfortable when driving a lot

Big 1911s vs. smaller 1911s

If you read the postings at CCW forums like this one, you get the impression that quite a few people do carry these full size 1911s, in all steel with 5 inch barrels. This surprises me, as I would think the slightly greater ease of shooting this large, heavy gun would be outweighed by the difficulty of concealing and carrying it all day long.

I have 1911s of all sizes, and find the 3 or 4 inch barrel models, with aluminum frames for weight reduction, much easier to conceal and carry. And I don't think I give up very much in accuracy or shooting comfort by going with these smaller 1911s. I know the reliability is comparable, as I test a 1911 with hundreds of practice rounds before trusting it for defense, and any problems in practice will disqualify it for defense.

I would like to see accurate numbers, if these exist, on how the guns of 1911 carriers break down by barrel length and weight. But I suppose we will never know this for sure.

I have carried my full sized Springfield GI-45, my 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II and my Bobtailed Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander, all in Gary Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com Max Con V holsters. They all ride very well and comfortably and are easy to conceal. Unquestionably my favorite is the S&W Commander and the Kimber is my pocket carry gun where it rides in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. The full sized Springfield is my substitute carry gun. The key is a good holster on a good gunbelt.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you read the postings at CCW forums like this one, you get the impression that quite a few people do carry these full size 1911s, in all steel with 5 inch barrels. This surprises me, as I would think the slightly greater ease of shooting this large, heavy gun would be outweighed by the difficulty of concealing and carrying it all day long.

I have 1911s of all sizes, and find the 3 or 4 inch barrel models, with aluminum frames for weight reduction, much easier to conceal and carry. And I don't think I give up very much in accuracy or shooting comfort by going with these smaller 1911s. I know the reliability is comparable, as I test a 1911 with hundreds of practice rounds before trusting it for defense, and any problems in practice will disqualify it for defense.

I would like to see accurate numbers, if these exist, on how the guns of 1911 carriers break down by barrel length and weight. But I suppose we will never know this for sure.

Very true but how about a poll here

I'll Start with i carry the 4 1/4 STeel framed gun 95% of the time

5"Full size steel here. The weight doesn't bother me enough to make me want to get a lightweight.

I have been thinking about a shorter barrel for the sitting that I wind up doing, but just not a huge issue.

JD
    Administrator
    I alternate between either a 4" Kimber CDP or a 4 1/4" Colt Combat Commander, pending on how I'm carrying at the time I can tell the weight difference after 8 hours or with a shoulder holster, mainly I go IWB and can never tell the difference.

Years ago, shortly after IDPA started up and I started shooting IDPA matches, I bought a full-size 1911 for that purpose. Once I became more familiar with the gun, I bought a Kimber Compact for carry. I carried the compact for some time, but would wear my full-size gun when traveling to and from IDPA matches.

I found out the larger gun was no harder to conceal or to carry – for me – than the smaller gun. When I started shooting Polite Society exercises a few year back, I switched to a Kimber TLE for my full-time carry gun. Interestingly, I feel a little underdressed when I carry the smaller gun now.

Here’s an interesting factoid that a lot of folks have a hard time with, in most cases a full-size 1911 isn’t really any harder to conceal than a smaller gun. There are a few instances, however, where a smaller gun may be the only choice due to dress restrictions, or physical circumstances.

Here’s another interesting factoid, most of the folks I know who have carried for a significant length of time, have transitioned from a smaller gun to one comparable in size to a 1911. There’s nothing magic about the concealability of a 1911, although it is slimmer than some of the other guns. Many of these folks carry larger Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, etc…
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I have tried carrying smaller sizes but always go back to the 5 inch
    steel. The smaller ones just don't seem to fit right or ballance the same. Could be that since I started with a 5 incher thats what I got used to.

Full size for me also.
    Mainly because my SA Micro has not proven itself for carry duty.

Reliability issues. FTE,FTF, etc.

My SA fullsize is flawless so it gets the vote
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I typically carry a G19, but when I want a .45 I always go to my 5" steel. It's heavy, It's got a little longer handle, So why???

It is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch and the meanest Gun I have ever touched. It's a tank that will eat any ammo I put through it with NO failures to load, fire or eject. It is dead on "laser cannon" accurate and fast double taps.

I was actually hitting a B27 target at 115 yards at Thanksgiving. Why? Because my uncle said I couldn't!

I usually carry my 3" Kimber Ultra CDP II, aluminum frame. For me, it's quite comfortable when carrying IWB, as well as accurate and reliable.

Occasionally, I'll carry my Kimber Desert Warrior OWB, where it works quite well, but not quite as concealable as the IWB option.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I picked 4" LW in the poll, but could have said "All of the above" Rarely a 5" steel tho.
    str1

VIP Member
    I have two M1911s: I carry the Colt CCO (Commander slide/alloy Officer frame) most often, but I will carry the Norinco M1911A1 full-size on occasion.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    5" steel for me. I am not bothered by the weight or size. I like the pointability and shootability of it versus the smaller, lighter ones.

Although, I recently bought an XD45C for its relative size and weight. I bought it more as a "disposable" gun so that I don't ever have to think about losing or damaging my beloved 1911.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links