Can I get an education on Springfield?

This is a discussion on Can I get an education on Springfield? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am developing a bit of a fascination with Springfield Armory. These things come and go, but I have to indulge them. I don't know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get an education on Springfield?

Can I get an education on Springfield?

I am developing a bit of a fascination with Springfield Armory. These things come and go, but I have to indulge them.

I don't know why; I've never had one and I've never known anyone who has one. For the price of most of their models, most people seem to go with Kimber.

I know a bit about the history of the company but I'm developing a complex around two of their products in particular.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/im...9151LLarge.jpg

This is the Springfield Mil Spec in stainless steel. I have no idea what it is that I seem to like so much about this pistol. I do like all stainless guns, and I don't see as many all stainless automatics as I like. Maybe it's nostalgia, or a nagging curiousity to try something that's as far from a double action revolver as you can get?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/im...D9302Large.jpg

This is the Service Size model of the XD series in .40 S&W. I actually picked one of these up. The salesman compared it to a Glock. I think he was wrong.

I'm not a Glock basher, but people who say Rugers feel like bricks or have poor ergonomics have never handled a Glock. I joke about polymer guns but in actuality I like them just fine. The ergonomics are the only thing against Glock. (I do kind of like the 19 for some reason, much better than the 17...) I very much expected this gun to feel "wrong" too.

Actually it felt all right. I would have to have one with a stainless slide, but I handled it and I thought "Hey this is all right. :)"

I was just curious if anyone has any experience with Springfield in general, these particular products, or what you think of them as CCW choices. I don't think I'd actually carry the Mil-Spec because I can just see that little safety constantly snagging and disengaging, but maybe that's not a problem. This kind of thing isn't normally my bag but you've got to start somewhere.

2. Remove Ads

I have 2 springfields The xd9 sub compact and a 1911 loaded..

The Xd is a fine pistol i carried my subcompact 9mm 90-95% of the time last year thats the highest recommendation i can give.. have over 1300 rounds though it with nary a hitch got the little xml light for it to..

Thi spistol is made in crotia but is very high quailty ... Get the stainless becuse i will tell ya the blued/black finshsucks and rust can be a problem ..

The Xd is like a glock only in the way the gun basicly functions grip angle is no where near the same .. i can transiton from glock to anything else with no problems so i dont have the problems some do ... only thing i wish springfield had was fingergroove but a handall fixs that

I also carry my loaded some but i have only had it a few months it have 700 thought it and no problems other than a bum aftermarket mag that promptly went in the trash .. Oo and the nasty front serrtions but the mil spec doesnt have them .. being a mil spec it also should have the useless full legth guide rod should have the shorty ..

As for safety snagging i dont have a problem with that on my loaded and it had extended ambi safty and a huge beaver tail ..

Hope that answered some of your questions if ya got more ask away

That's exactly what I was wanting to know Bud. It's good to know I'm not completely lacking in taste. Thank you.

1952 - 2006
    Sorry the only experience I have personally with Springfield Armory is my M-21 which is kinda hard to conceal, but what a shooter.
    I do really like my Kimber CDP though over 2000 rds without a hiccup.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    I have an XD40 and it is a very accurate and reliable gun. I have not carried it that much because I just like the feel of my 1911 being on my hip, but it's not because I don't think it is a capable carry gun.

I also like the Springfield 1911's for a good dependable and economical 1911. The Kimber is actually up a notch from the Springfield in accuracy and cost. I do like the traditional extractor on the Springfield vs the ones on both of my Kimber's. Not a big deal, but my preference. I may be trding one of my Kimbers for an STI, but I am planning on keeping my Kimber TLE II....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    I've been running my SA 1911 with ambi-safety through my CCW drill for the last month or so. So far no snagging at all. The safety is not an issue other than I have to learn to undo it on presentation, since every other gun I have carried doesn't have an external safety.

My SA 1911 carries well for me in an OWB Galco holster. I have not shot it past the break in period so no comments on reliability, but I expect it will function without issue.

My partner has the XD series in 40 and absolutely loves it. He let his SO shoot it and now it is hers, so he is going to get another one. He is very particular about his pistols so that is the highest praise from him.

The reason you probably like the G19 vs G17 is size. The ergonomics of the G19 will work much better for most shooters. I like my G17 because being a knuckle dragging gorilla I have large hands. So the G17 works well for me ergonomically.

-Scott-

Lead Moderator
    I feel the Glock is a much better ergo grip gun than the Ruger. I don't personally like either. The springfields seem well built. Only personal experience with shootin em was a M1 Garand. The xD seems to be really nice, will see when my GF gets hers.

I have, and carry a Ultra Compact "loaded" V10 Stainless with never having any problems with the weapon. It's very similar in size to the Officers model Colt, and with the Hogue grips, it just feels right when it's in my hands..The only drawback is the Comp in the slide, it might cause a problem in night fire, but I usually carry in in the daytime, BUT it's really mild to shoot with that V10 comp. Hope this helps

All this does help actually.

I'm putting the XD series on my short list of guns to consider for my next pistol purchase.

I might even trade my Ruger in on one.

Xd's are really nice .. course i might have said that all ready .. did i mention the finsh sucks

That's okay Bud I like stainless anyway.

Even if I were to go insane and buy a Glock I'd have to have something done about the slide. I hate black slides, especially on a nice gun. Just looks cheap to me.

Blued finish is okay if it's a traditional revolver and I could live with a parkerized finish, but I'd rather just go stainless.

I normally hate stainless guns. I only own a few and they're special purpose or the piece really spoke to me for some reason and overrode my general cosmetic hatred of the finish.

If I didn't already own a Springfield regular mil-spec, I'd have one.

The non-glare finish on the top of the slide and the black sights set off against them really made me think that someone thought about not only owning the gun but shooting it in conditions that make other stainless guns point-shooters only.

I for some reason like all stainless with some very dark or black grips regardless of what kind of format the firearm has.

A black frame with a stainless slide is a compromise I'm willing to make however as I value function far more than aesthetics.

I suppose it's because I really don't customize my guns that much, at least not for aesthetics. The fact that I have the only stainless gun in a room full of "blacktical" carriers seems to be customization enough.

Like I said, if I ever bought a Glock, I'd have to do something about that finish sooner or later...

DC Founder
    I generally buy non-stainless guns for some reason, but I did buy a Kimber Eclipse. Springfield has a similar model (below) that I really like. They black a stainless gun and then polish the flat surfaces back down to the stainless finish. Gives a really nice look.
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

That's awesome. I bet it costs $900+ too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links