Considerations and concessions...

This is a discussion on Considerations and concessions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone who carries concealed I'm sure at one time or another has taken a long look at what they carry. I'm also sure that at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Considerations and concessions...

Anyone who carries concealed I'm sure at one time or another has taken a long look at what they carry. I'm also sure that at one time or another has either wanted a different gun, or questioned if what they carried was the optimal firearm for them.
    If you, Mr. or Ms. CC, have found the elusive 'perfect' combination, good for you;
    As I for one believe that I am on my way there.
    When I first started CC, my choice of firearm was a Walther P99 in .40S&W. My choice was simple, I shot the gun very well, and like the .40 smith cartridge alot.
    I wandered however, likely because of the fact:
    a. I wanted something in a smaller package,
    b. I had to carry a 45.
    I perhaps, should not read into things too much.

My first distraction in concealed carry was my belief that if my 40 worked, [and it does] then a 45 would work better. I purchased a good holster,and began carrying my Kimber Pro CDP II. Reliable, yet heavy, it filled what I thought was the consummate concealed carry weapon. Real men carried 45's, and a real man's man carried a 1911......ummm, no.
    With the holster came a new pistol belt, designed for handgun carry. Well, after several months of carrying the Kimber, I was at the range with friends, and shot a Glock 36. Nice! 1911 like accuracy, and a very light, very sturdy gun.
    I'd owned Glocks at that time, to be specific, a G19, and G23. Both great guns, both reliable, but not that manly 45. Even tho I shot the G23 better than the Kimber, I had to carry .45. I bought a Glock 30, and after shooting it, I hated the blocky feel of it. A used Glock 36 showed up at my LGS, and I quickly traded the G30 for it.
    After a sad farewell, and a thorough cleaning, the Kimber was put up back in the safe, to be an occaisional shooter. I now had a high tech Glock, in the manly 45. life was grand, all was right in my stupid world, except, when I took my Glocks to the range, I shot the 9mm G19 good, the 45 G36 good, but the G23, a friend's G27, and Walther 40 GREAT......what the???

So maybe it's the platform? it can't be the .45. The .45 was the gun to carry. EVERYONE knew that... i should try another 45...yea, yea, that's the answer.
    Enter the XDs45acp. Small, thin and sexy, the XDs was gonna be the gun. Ya places yer money ands you takes yer chances....My Shiny stainless XDs shot great, carried like it wasn't in the waistband, and of course, was the venerable 45. Yes, I dropped a round from the G36 per magazine, but such are the sacrifices one made in the world of CCW.....All the interweb fellas swore on it. It must be right. After another parting, the G36 was retired, and put in the safe next to the Kimber. [you see a pattern developing?]
    I shot the XDs, and shot it more. and got really good with it. it is NOT a range gun, but one could shoot 50 rounds at a time without having to see an Osteopath. X ring shooting was almost as good as with my 40 caliber guns.....in fact, I shot the XDS "almost as good as I did my buddy's G27.
    Boy that G27 shoots nice.
    9+1
    Tiny package.
    Same ergos' as my G19, 23, and 36...
    Boy I shoot that 40 better than any caliber.......

It was about that time, with a bit of embarrassment, that stupidity smacked me in the face. The answer, to the quest, which should not have been a quest at all, is a 40 caliber pistol.
    I borrowed the friend's G27, and carried it for a week. Every day after work, I've been at the range. The gun shoots.
    It conceals REALLY well, the Ergo's are great, and it's a Glock...reliable, accurate, dependable.

You know when you've come to a realization about stuff? You just know what's right and what's not? In all my 'quests' to find a perfect CC weapon, I foolishly told myself it "had" to be this, and "had" to be that; instead of just realizing that the 40 smith was the caliber I shot really well, and all it took was finding a platform. I've "drank the koolaid" about Glock, hell, that happened many years ago. Gaston hit on a great design, that just-plain-works. I shoot them really well...well good enough to shoot responsibly.

So last week I traded my XDs45 for a Gen 3 Glock 27. Stock,no extras, save for extra mags. Today I went to the range with plenty of 40 smith ammo and confirmed again, I shoot the 40 best. Thinkin' I've finally hit the nail on the head, and found the 'one' that'll work best for me.

Thanks for readin' my ramblin's....

Chris
    The more I know of mankind, the more I like my dogs.....

VIP Member
    I also started out with my mind already made up. Pragmatism eventually won out over the original ideal.
    RickyD, TX expat, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

now then since you know .40 is the ticket try it in a 1911 platform, the Springfield EMP .40
    Jaeger likes this.

Good summary.

IMO, so long as one's minimum performance criteria are met, and so long as it has sufficient utility, operability and concealability, it's the right gun. Often, that's of a different caliber, size or brand than one expected going into it.

IOW, some call it Kool-Aid, while some call it Punch. It's all good, since we're all different.
    glockcoma and shadowwalker like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

DBS
    That's a good read. Concealed carry is an evolutionary enterprise for nearly every one.
    cthruit and urban soldier like this.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    I shot the 9mm G19 good, the 45 G36 good, but the G23, a friend's G27, and Walther 40 GREAT......what the???
    Training and muscle memory did you in. Since most shooters say that their pistol is more accurate than they are, the problem was obviously you. (Please note the smiley.) If the 1911 doesn't shoot well enough for you, you go to 200gr. or +P bullets, you try different ammo (I only do Federal American Eagle and Speer Lawman), better sights and different grips or and different trigger face. :D (I know - for some, if not most, it's not worth the trouble...) I've heard that the Walther .40S&W has more recoil than a Glock because it has a higher bore axis. So the question of ammo comes immediately to mind, weight and MV/fps. Maybe you were using inferior ammo one day and superior ammo the next. WWB and Tul do not count...

The fact that you find the G27 comfortable tells me that you may have problems when transitioning to a compact size grip (a hypothesis which the Walther would tend to disprove, unless the Walther was inherently more accurate due to wearing in excellently or it was the P99 sub-compact; the G23 also would seem to disprove that hypothesis...) [On a side note, my brother got rid of his G23 because of the recoil impulse and found that the XDM .40 was much softer shooting due to the heavier slide and a superior trigger. He's getting rid of his G19 and going with an S&W M&P 9FS because it fits much better in his hand and he finds it is more accurate than the G19. So, everyone is different.]

Congrats on finding the perfect piece for you. (Some competition shooters compete with their G26 or G27s best). Now go out and standardize on ammo - try them all and settle on the most accurate one(s). If you keep changing ammo brands from day to day you will probably find that your shooting isn't consistent.
    glockcoma likes this.

There is a 'right gun' for each of us. Many of us, myself included, have taken the OP's trip down CC Lane...not everyone ends up with the same firearm. If it were not so, only one company would eventually be selling all the CC firearms...the perfect one.
    I stopped on CC Lane at Glock-36 Street...I like the bigger holes...and lots of others factors it covers FOR ME.
    The most comfortable shoe, the best truck, or the most beautiful woman...is different for each one of us, and I like it that way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great reply 1911er;

Ammo also breeds consistency for sure.
    While the Walther is a lazer with 155 grain ammo,the G23/27 tend to like and shoot 165/180 better. Recoil, while subjective to all folks that shoot, tends to be less-felt in the 27 when shooting 180 grain as opposed to the impulse of the 165.
    Both shoot to point of aim as well as the other for me, the only variables in aiming the two guns are grip length and sight radius. Grip length can be "compensated" for in the 27 with a +1 pinky extension. I try not to use those with a carry gun to keep from adding ANY printing variables when carrying. Also, employing them at the range would NOT be the same "real time" grip, if I had to use it. My hands aren't so big that I cannot grip the G27 as supplied as a stock gun. I use Ameriglo CAP sights on all my Glocks, to try to keep every sight picture the same.

Shooting the 1911 was not so much an issue either, as the CDP II recoiled no more or less than the G23....the Glock a 'snap', where the 1911, a 'push'. My 1911 carry ammo was Federal's EFMJ [200gr]. The same that was carried in the G36.

I've been carrying the Sig 938 9mm all summer long, as it is the same manual of arms [sorta] as the 1911, on a MUCH smaller scale. The gun just carries really well in the pocket of cargo shorts.

you do bring up good points, thanks.

Man is frequently guilty of overthinking themselves. I offer our boxes of holsters stuffed up in the closet as proof...

I started as an eager Senior (62 at the time) Friend took me to an indoor range gave me a safety rundown and handed me (in order) .38 Snubby, Ruger 9mm and a Ruger SR40C.
    I shot the 40S&W very well for a newbie. But now i started rethinking caliber and gun. My wife enters the mix. She, out of the clear blue wants to learn to shoot & carry (YEA !). I got her a Ruger LCP (she picked it out) but that seemed a mistake for her (Too small too much snap. She injured her thumb on the slide) She went to a professional female trainer for some one on one lessons. She found out SHE LOVES it and the instructors Glock G26. So now i am awaiting a G19 for me and a G26 for her. The SR40c is not going anywhere soon. I am going to put in some time on the G19 and 9mm. I think it's worth the transition.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

I must be doing it all wrong. I started in 1967 with the 1911 and still EDC it. Yes, I jumped on the 10mm as soon as it was introduced and it is still my primary carry caliber, with the 45acp secondary. Have I owned other platforms, certainly. But they never were as satisfying as the 1911 and were quickly sold off.
    Aceoky and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockcoma View Post
    Thinkin' I've finally hit the nail on the head, and found the 'one' that'll work best for me.

Thanks for readin' my ramblin's....

Chris
    Until next time...lol...ask me how I know!!
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    I must be doing it all wrong. I started in 1967 with the 1911 and still EDC it. Yes, I jumped on the 10mm as soon as it was introduced and it is still my primary carry caliber, with the 45acp secondary. Have I owned other platforms, certainly. But they never were as satisfying as the 1911 and were quickly sold off.
    good for you guy, you found it!
    But, I'm thinkin', the choices offered today were NOT there in '67. Quality auto-loaders were the 1911, or the Browning Hi-power for example. There were not the choices of toady, so if an individual chose to carry 45acp, the 1911 was the choice, and surely not a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Until next time...lol...ask me how I know!!
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Bad Bob likes this.

I've gone down a similar route . And I'm extremely happy with my current carry guns. A Glock 23 and a Shield in 9mm. But then Glock had to come out with fde. Damn it man! I think I'll be getting one. Just gotta save up the pennies for something I don't need. Just want.
    Question Everything!

The choices available today are nice. There are now a multitude of custom/semi custom/factory 1911's that come all tricked out; I no longer have to do that. Plastic has zero appeal to me. I do own a G20, but only because its a 10mm. Its going in for grip mods so it doesn't feel like grabbing a 2x4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links