To Bob or Not To Bob, that is the question...

This is a discussion on To Bob or Not To Bob, that is the question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just purchased an SP101 w/3" barrel. I'll be using it for the woods, hiking, fishing, etc. House gun, but will also be setting up ...

View Poll Results: To bob or not

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bob The Hammer SPur

20 37.04%
  • Don't Bob the Hammer Spur

34 62.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I've just purchased an SP101 w/3" barrel. I'll be using it for the woods, hiking, fishing, etc. House gun, but will also be setting up for concealed carry. I won't be pocket carrying it at all due to weight, it's heavy

So my question is, whether-or-not to bob the hammer and render it DAO? I'll be carrying it IWB in a McDaniels and I'm still trying to pick an OWB that'll hold it close and tight. If you have any ideas let me know. I love how the bobbed hammer looks on an SP101 but it might be more practical to leave the hammer? Especially when plinking out in the woods. I first looked at the GP100 but theres no way I could conceal it well enought to suit me and it's a tad big for my hands but the SP101 was perfect.

Any thoughts on that?

Also, have any of you ever changed out the front site on an SP101? If so, how hard is it? And has anyone ever heard of someone modifying an SP101 with an adjustable rear sight?

Anyway, I know I won't carry this too often but I sure do love the looks of this gun.

thanks for the advise folks and God Bless!
    Gideon

Lead Moderator
    Wow, lots of questions. how well do you shoot DAO with the gun might be a good consideration.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    This would make for a good poll.

I would bob it. I have always wanted a bobbed and ported SP101.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Has a poll now

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    My own personal preference but I would never use a revolver for concealed carry. The only time I carry a revolver is when I'm hunting therefore I really like the option of being able to shoot single action. If you think you will use it in the field most often, I would leave the hammer alone. Just my opinion.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I too love the looks of a ported revolver and I know it would make it more fun to shoot at the range but I've read the opinions of many on this forum, of whom I have the greatest respect! How that can be less than effective for a self defense situation. I know I'm already starting off with a lot of flame but if I end up relegating this one to range/woods carry, then...well

Thank you Bud for setting up the poll, didn't think of that!

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Is a 3-inch, 5-shot revolver really very practical for anything but concealed carry? I can't imagine myself seriously heading afield to hunt with something that limited (I'm good, just not that good ). I reckon I see it as more of a BUG because that is what I am considering as a BUG for vehicle carry.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I'll Keep My Kimber...

just as it is...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

J-Frame bobbing

I've carryed a J-Frame snub for several years now when circumstances do not lead to carrying my Commander.

Very easy to conceal except that the hammer spur snags when trying to draw.

I finally gritted my teeth and had the hammer bobbed. Best move I have made lately!

Besides being snag free, now I KNOW that I have to use it the way it was intended in the first place: A point & shoot DA only revolver.

Just a little practice and it becomes easy to keep all shots in center of mass up to 15ft away without even looking at the sights.

That's why I voted yes on bobbing the hammer (on a Jframe snub anyway) I would not think of bobbing the hammer on a .45 auto.

...Skye...

Some good thoughts...If I was going to hunt with the gun, I'd get a minimum of 6" and would probably go .41mag. This gun will be a field gun for defense when out fishing by the river at night, etc.

I too consider it less than ideal for concealed carry. Ultimately I'd like to end up with a small compact .40 or .45 1911 but I handled this revolver and wanted to add a .357 to my collection.

I do have a j frame airweight that I pocket carry at times and might bob the hammer on that (I have the 637).

I heavy 5 shot .357 SP101 isn't what I typically would have thought of for concealed carry and it won't be too often but I want that possibility.

So I guess I've bought a gun that isn't precisely what I need or is logical but one I like. I do think it'll be a good shooter and fun to carry around the creeks trapping and during the winter, etc.

With my build I've never been able to comfortably carry and conceal a larger weapon or one w/a staggered mag, so a 1911, kahr P9 and now this SP101 will give me a number of options.

Thanks for all the input but I can already see the poll swining heavy to not bobbing it. I probably will resist the temptation!

One good thing about this revolver, there's close to a zero chane of it ever failing....

Well God Bless!
    Gideon

Bob the hammer

I have an SP-101 in .357 that I bobbed the hammer myself on. I would never go back. Besided the fact that there is nothing to snag on the draw, by bobbing the hammer on a revolver, it is also possible to get a better trigger job than would be possible with the spur still in place. I also have the hammer bobbed on my 625 that I shoot IPSC with. That gun has a silky smooth 6# double action pull. My 610, by comparison, with the spur intact hovers around 8-9# DA pull. Any less gives my unreliable ignition. Also, just because you bob the hammer doesn't make a revo DAO. In the field or plinking, you aim at the target, start the trigger pull, and when the hammer backs off, you simply use your thumb to cock it. For a true DAO revo, you have to remove the cocking notch on the trigger.
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Senior Moderator
    I love my snubbie and never had a problem with it snagging except when I'm pocket carrying.

Unless you are going to pocket carry I see no reason to bob the hammer

American Handgunner had a nice little model 60 a year or two ago that had a partial bob on the hammer. Most of the spur was cut off, leaving just a little bit that your thumb could get a hold of. It was rounded like a bar of soap.

Yes it could snag, but not as easily as a full hammer. Typically when I draw I have my thumb over the hammer on the draw to prevent any chance of a snag. It still allows you the option though of cocking the hammer. I know for CCW 99% of the time you should fire DA with that snubby. At the same time if I ever were in a situation where I needed to put one perfectly aimed head shot into someone holding my wife or child I would feel much better having the option of a short, light single action trigger. I know it is an incredible long shot but I just feel better about having the option.

I'm having the hammer bobbed on my Model 22 N-Frame S&W that I will carry IWB.

All my CCW guns are "Double Action Only".

Biker

I dont have a reason to "bob".
    Typically when I draw I have my thumb over the hammer on the draw to prevent any chance of a snag. It still allows you the option though of cocking the hammer. I know for CCW 99% of the time you should fire DA with that snubby. At the same time if I ever were in a situation where I needed to put one perfectly aimed head shot into someone holding my wife or child I would feel much better having the option of a short, light single action trigger. I know it is an incredible long shot but I just feel better about having the option.
    +1

I carry snubby at my 1:30-2:00, in a cheap Uncle mike floppy IBW holster. I never had a problem with snaging. I like to have the option of having a SA trigger, in case I need to fire over 20y.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links