No HK P7 carriers?

This is a discussion on No HK P7 carriers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that they are rare because they were pretty darned expensive, but I am wondering if anyone out there carries a Heckler & Koch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No HK P7 carriers?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

No HK P7 carriers?

I know that they are rare because they were pretty darned expensive, but I am wondering if anyone out there carries a Heckler & Koch P7 pistol.

I was reminded of them by the glowing article in this month's NRA magazine. The P7 series was well favored. Now as of 2006 they are discontinued (because according to the article, the need they addressed is addressed more cheaply by modern DAO autos).

I was shown one when I was in the market for my first handgun, back in 1993. It was too rich for my blood.

Anyone carry one now?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd carry my "PSP," but I can't under my current LE agency policy. It's a great gun with the sole drawbacks being it getting hot to handle after firing two mags and having insanely expensive mags (I can't really complain here, P9S mags are more expensive....ugh).

Someone on the P7 Cult page of the Park Cities Tactical forum asked the same question and dozens of folks there carry their P7s daily. I'm sure a few folks here do to.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

go check out hkpro.com forums.... you'll find plenty of guys that do there
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I sure wish I could obtain one in .40 (was that the P7M10 or 13, I always forget), NOT used, at a reasonable price. That's probably just a pipe-dream and always will be. Even IF I could get one that's brand new-in-box, it sure wouldn't be inexpensive, now would it?

VIP Member
    P7M10 = .40 S&W
    P7M13 = 9mm w/ 13-round magazine
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

As cool as they are the cost is way to high for a 9mm

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have allways wanted one , but so far wont pay the tarrif for should i it would most likely be the m8 vairiant ... Its on my list , but not at the prices they bring , will take a deal or one of them trades where everyone concerned is convinced they won lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

problem with packing a P7 (especially a P7M10) is that you're packing a very expensive and somewhat irreplaceable firearm.

your carry piece has to be looked at as though its disposable because in reality it is (you use it, it'll end up in a police evidence locker and you may never see it again ... and if you do it'll be rusty).

So I'm not too keen on the idea of loosing an irreplaceable $3500 pistol (in the case of an M10) if I have to shoot some miscreant.

"So I'm not too keen on the idea of loosing an irreplaceable $3500 pistol (in the case of an M10) if I have to shoot some miscreant"

Well, still a human being. If ever it were to happen, I don't think I would be thinking about value.

Well, still a human being. If ever it were to happen, I don't think I would be thinking about value.
    Certainly not right after the encounter, but the same thing can be accomplished with a $300-$500 pistol ... loss of what amounts to an heirloom pistol would just add insult to injury.

However if you can afford it, its a damn good carry piece (any of the P7s).

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I own the P7M8, bought used NJ SP turn-in that was factory re-furb'd and H&K ground off the logo (I guess it was the SP logo) on the slide

Great gun, damn expensive and the mags are outrageously expensive (especially for low-cap 9mm).

Add that to the fact that you'd get 2nd degree burns after reholstering (if the holster didn't melt to the gun and your skin), and it makes a poor carry piece IMNSHO.
    NRA Instructor

Wow. Maybe a few misunderstandings/misconceptions here. The P7 series was designed as a police side-arm. If you envision shooting 250 consecutive rounds in a battle- you probably should have brought a Glock! Seriously, in an extended range session, yes, you can burn your a**, but in real-world usage its a non-issue.

Price. $3500?!?! Someone is hard-core gouging, or has a special sn#, or lots of accessories. Average is $1200, with bargains of $700-900 to new-issue at $1300. Just have to look around.

If you get one, get it chromed (or similar) for EDC. I've owned 3. I've "reconsidered" my battery of late, and realized I had too much $$ in higher-end toys- I've shifted to cheaper, all-weather and terrain durability, and multiples. If you want a P7, they are a joy, and well worth the $$. Just be sure you know how it fits your perceived needs. FWIW, it may only carry 9 rounds of 9mm, but it's about the only 9mm that makes an adequate club, close in!

A shop I go to had a "refurbished" one a while back. I think they had another one too but not sure if it was new or used.

They seem too heavy for me plus my hand isn't large enough to grab the whole thing in its open position.

I have two of the PSP guns in my possesion. One is blue the other hard chrome with nite sights.. I've had about 10 of them over the years, including the P7M8 guns. The least expensive one I bought was 375.00 back in 1980. I've not paid more than 650.00 for any of em.. Guess I've been quite lucky.
    BTW, these little guns shoot like no tomorrow, and I'd stake my life on em
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I own many pistols and the P7M8 is the most accurate I own. It is compact, and conceals well with a proper holster. It has a fluted chamber, so the gun should keep working even if the extractor breaks. The delayed gas blowback system is self-regulating, so it can handle virtually any ammo. The trigger pull is always a light single action pull. As soon as you release your grip on the pistol it cannot fire -- the P7M8 is an extremely safe firearm. The P7M8 is very controllable on doubles and during rapid fire. My P7M8 has never has a FTF or FTE, and I know it will always do its job -- my P7M8 is dead reliable.

Yes, the P7M8 is expensive. Yes, the mags are steep. Yes, it will heat up eventually, but it was designed as a defensive carry pistol, not an IPSC gun. IMHO the P7M8 is worth every penny. It is a classic in both design and function.
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links