Colt Commander fails to lock back on empty magazine

This is a discussion on Colt Commander fails to lock back on empty magazine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a fairly new Wiley Clapp Colt Commander that I have probably put less than 1000 rounds through. I just had the trigger safety ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Colt Commander fails to lock back on empty magazine

I have a fairly new Wiley Clapp Colt Commander that I have probably put less than 1000 rounds through. I just had the trigger safety replaced by a gun smith because the original safety tore up my thumb every time I shot it.

I took it to the range this morning and noticed that when I shot it, the slide was not locking back after the last round. When my wife shot it, the slide did lock back.

I am guessing I may be limp wristing it, unless someone has some other suggestions?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Did that happen every time you shot and every time she shot? How many times each were you guys shooting it empty?
    And what were you shooting out of it? Any chance you had a soft load for your last shot? I'd guess that before limp wristing, simply because you didn't mention any other feeding or ejection issues. It seems odd you would limp wrist the last round.
    And were these all with the same mag?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Take the top off, insert a mag, and see if the mag follower is pushing up the 'slide stop' ..... mags are normally the root cause of most auto problems
    357and40, deadguy and gatorbait51 like this.

Sounds like a magazine problem, as many issues with 1911s turn out to be.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

What is a "trigger safety"?

Limp wristing, or thumb on the slide release (thumbs too high).

I would have thought bad mags, but since your wife didn't have a problem, maybe poor grip.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think you may have hit on something, SIG.
    Since he said his thumb was getting beat up (this is where I assumed trigger safety meant thumb safety), I'll bet his thumb is bumping the slide release. He probably over compensated moving it out of the way of the thumb safety in anticipation of it getting safety rash.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I bet you are hitting the mag release with your thumb. I had the same issue every time I shot my son's Sig 226. When he shot, the slide would lock back. When I shot it would not. Never had that problem with any other handgun I own. Finally he noticed that my thumb was resting on top of the slide release. I was putting just enough pressure on it to prevent the slide from locking on empty. Once I relocated the thumb, the "problem" disappeared.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Had the same issue with my p226. Moved my thumb, solved the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Outdoor Forums mobile app
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I think you can rule out mechanical failure since it does not occur when wife is shooting. That only leaves operator malfunction, most likely a thumb. Remove thumbs from the equation by consciously keeping them out of the way of any moving parts and see if the slide still fails to lock.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    Your Wiley Clapp likes your spouse more ....That's the only possible answer...
    Stevew, G26Raven, OldVet and 4 others like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Could be Gatorbait but, he has to keep it. I mean, they can't go around telling people that he gave her the Clapp!!
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    Could be Gatorbait but, he has to keep it. I mean, they can't go around telling people that he gave her the Clapp!!
    ooooooooooooooo not goin' there...no sir..
    Bad Bob and ugh762x39 like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let it go, Let it goooooo!

Yeah, I'm thinking thumb also.
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    There could be the follower of just one of your magazines causing that problem.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for all the suggestions. I normally shoot with my thumbs held high on the slide, because that is the way I was trained. My wife only shot the 1911 once because she was too busy shooting her G26. Yes, it failed to lock back every time I reached the end of the magazine. I was using two fairly new Wilson Combat magazines.

My wife has no interest in having the Clapp...
    Last edited by G26Raven; October 12th, 2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
    ugh762x39 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links