From XD40 to USPc9

This is a discussion on From XD40 to USPc9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello folks, I currently own an XD40 4" and have been contemplating buying a USPc 9mm for carry because it will fit my hand better, ...

Thread: From XD40 to USPc9

From XD40 to USPc9

Hello folks,

I currently own an XD40 4" and have been contemplating buying a USPc 9mm for carry because it will fit my hand better, I like having a manual safety, and the USPc is so versatile, in case I decide to go DAO or LEM later.

So, I was hoping to get some insights and comparisons between the two, since I'm intimately familiar with the XD40 but have no where to rent a USPc 9mm. I can handle the USPc in the shop, but the subtleties of bore axis, trigger pull/reset, and recoil aren't so easy.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

USP compact

I have the USP compact in .40 caliber, but do not have the XD40. I notice that you are considering going from .40 to 9mm, although you did not comment on your reasons for the caliber change.

The USP 40c is an excellent gun in my experience, and I'm sure the 9mm version would be similar. I've found the .40 to be reliable, accurate and easy to conceal. It has good grip and trigger ergonomics and can be carried cocked and locked, unlike most other polymer guns.

Both of those are good guns. I haven't shot the USP in 9mm but like them in 45acp. I wouldn't think the handle on the USP would be any slimmer or more ergonomic than the XD.

I too like the safety on the USP because it is so familiar from 1911 carry, however when the time came, I didn't shoot very well with it. So, based on experience- rent one or shoot a friends gun before you buy.

Like always- whatever fits you best and you can shoot well.
    Last edited by kylebce; January 24th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.

Senior Moderator
    I have a USP 9mm full size DA/SA. I have yet to have a malfunction of any sort, and I find it to be very accurate.

It has a great SA trigger and about the worst DA trigger I have ever shot.

If you're considering the USPc you may want to look at the H&K P2000. I've got the LEM version and it's great. I'd kinda like to have the DA/SA version. It'd be worth your time to look at a p2000.

Lead Moderator
    As Tangle said, check out the p2000. it seems to be a slimmed down version of the USP(no safety however )
    I own a USP and have shot a XD. They are similar in feel and handling. The HK might be a bit thicker grip, but not much. Over all I think both guns are excellent , just prefer the manual safety and more options of the USP.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Rocky,

Thanks, I forgot about the 'no safety' on the P2000. The DA/SA version does have a decocker that is at the rear of the slide - very unique. It is a push 'button' on the back of the slide to the left of the hammer slot.

Lead Moderator
    yup, was looking at a p2000 myself. Have not decided yet, but am really considering 1.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    A fired a buddy's P2000 LEM 9mm....interesting gun. I didn't like that it didn't have a manual safety either. I did like that it was an ambi-friendly gun. The LEM trigger was ok. I prefer the SIGARMS' DAK trigger. The LEM trigger fells too "mushy" to me with no palatable trigger reset; the DAK trigger has a definite trigger reset which I really like.

The USPc's (and full-size guns) are nice guns....has a decocking safety operating the "right" way, low recoiling, accurate, reliable...they are nice. I don't like that they are big guns. My full-size USP .45 ACP is darned near crew-served weapon sized. Still, I have Comp Tac C-TAC IWB holster that conceals it reasonably well.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Why 9mm?
    I've never been comfortable with the muzzle flip on my XD40, and 9mm can be an excellent self defense round in +p, and cheap plinking. Its not intolerable, I just feel like it would be more fun at the range to shoot 9mm instead.

Grip
    I have small hands, and am small framed. The grip width isn't any different between them, I don't think, but the texture is a little different, and I happen to like the grippy USPc, its kinda like my Magpul MIAD grip on my AR15.
    When I said it fit my hand, I mean that there's no grip left below my pinky, which just seems more efficient and be easier to conceal at 0.5" shorter.

P2000, et al.
    I do like the P2000, but as you said, it doesn't come with a manual safety. I also like the Beretta Px4 Storm, but its too big and has a slide safety, which I don't like. The Glock 19 grip angle and grooves just kills it for me.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)
    Keep em coming :P

Links