Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull for concealed carry...

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull for concealed carry... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your thoughts, pros and cons.... My Christmas present finally showed up, a few days too late, and it looks far too lovely to be a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Your thoughts, pros and cons....

My Christmas present finally showed up, a few days too late, and it looks far too lovely to be a safe queen :-)

VIP Member
    In my honest opinion, way too big!!! I've never shot one but I keep thinking this is the caliber that takes down big bear. I be afraid of over penteration. You do not want to hurt the inocent.

The traditional S&W J-frame revolver is 6-1/2" long, whereas the Alaskan is 1" longer. It's quite a bit wider, making for a thick package to conceal. At 41oz, it's about 1lb more than the Ruger SP101, within a couple ounces of a full-sized 1911 Gov't model, and plenty of folks carry those. If you can wear a covering garment over IWB, you should be fine. A lot of punch, certainly enough to stop most any "critter" that would attack, including two- and four-legged varieties. Though, that's at the expense of going through the next nineteen walls of your neighbors' homes if you miss, even ones spread out one per 10 acres (likely!) on the San Juans. The dang thing will never break, if Ruger quality is any guide. You might want to get a trigger job done, as the pull isn't your traditional 6-8lb revolver's pull; but then, I'm partial to a full action/trigger job for any concealed firearm. A perfect pairing to a Puma 92 lever action rifle chambered in .454, too. If your mode of dress/carry can conceal that bad boy, what's not to like?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

maybe with a 45 colt loading but not a full blown 454 loading

Look at the ballistics

I went to the Remington Ammunition website, where data is given on that company's one product in .454 Casull, a 300 grain JHP Core-Lokt round. From the test gun used, which had a 7.5 inch barrel, the muzzle velocity was 1625 ft/sec, and the muzzle energy was 1759 ft-lbs.

By way of comparison, .45 ACP Federal HydraShok 230 grain ammo has muzzle velocity of 850 ft/sec and muzzle energy of 369 ft-lbs from a 5 inch barrel. Federal HydraShok .45 is generally considered an effective round against human attack.

When you ask about concealed carry of the Ruger .454 Casull revolver, I presume your application is personal defense against human attackers in a non-wilderness environment. If you were concerned about bear attack in the woods, you probably wouldn't carry concealed.

Wouldn't it seem to you that the .454 Casull gun is way too powerful for the CCW application? It is a hunting round, and will go through humans or walls easily and endanger other people behind your target. Then there is the legal problem of having to explain in court why you chose this caliber.

I wouldn't use this gun for CCW against humans.

Sounds like a pistol round that almost can compare with some rifle rounds. If you don't care about possible legal quagmire then I'd say go for it if you can shoot it well.

Yeah, there's the potential that some DA could make a big deal about you using a super powered death ray to kill someone, but if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    The great thing is that you can carry .45 Colt which is comparable to .45 ACP. I would not CCW with a .454 though

Legal nightmare.
    I certainly wouldn't want to be the test case.

And Frank W James warns against their use in his book Effective Handgun Defense.

My God !, You really don't like your hands, IMHO it would make a nice
    Elephant gun, But not a CCW, but whatever floats yer Boat.
    Good Luck.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    maybe with a 45 colt loading but not a full blown 454 loading
    Like Bud says, and I'll agree, 45 Long Colt is a good choice for Defense, but the 454 would be a nightmare should you choose to carry for protection against 2 legged critters
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    I'll add my agreement with use of .45LC, only!

It's a big gun but then I personally like large and heavy and if concealable then it is viable. Maybe however not the most practical of choices even so.

The Casull load is IMO too much in many ways - chances are one shot will have to do the job because a follow up sure won't be fast and I doubt anyone in the vicinity will have much hearing left!

Makes me think - ''bring enough gun - but not that much''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Possible legal ramifications - example

Several posters, including me, have made the point that use of an unusually powerful caliber for personal defense can be used against you in court. Prosecutors or plaintiff attorneys can claim that you were reckless or excessive in your choice of gun and caliber, causing more harm than required to the person you shot in self defense.

There was a recent example of this in an Arizona court, in which CCW holder Harold Fish was tried for murder after he used a 10mm handgun to kill a man who was attacking him. Fish was convicted of murder and is now in prison. Here is a link to a description of the case, and an excerpt from the trial transcript showing how the prosecutor used the gun's caliber as a point to influence the jury:

Murder trial of Harold Fish in Arizona

And the jury had another issue to think about: Fish’s gun.

The firearms investigator said that Fish’s gun — a 10mm — is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection. And the ammunition Fish used to shoot Kuenzli three times, called “a hollow-point bullet,” is made to expand when it enters the body.

When he decided to pull the trigger, the prosecutor said, Fish should have known what the consequences would be.
    If the caliber used in police handguns is going to be the standard of "adequate" vs. "excessive", you might want to make sure you use a common police caliber.

I have a 3 inch 629 but I don't carry it due to the possibility of too much penatration. I think the same goes for the 454. It's just too much of a gun and too heavy for daily carry. Steve48

Senior Moderator
    pogo2,

You have brought up a good point, and have made me think that if you carried a 45 Colt round in the Alaskan can you defend yourself by saying that you were using an antiquated round, that was dropped by the Military and police forces 100 years ago in favor of something more effective?

You sould use this same argument with .38spl, or any of the "Cowboy" rounds like 38S&W, 38-40 or 44spl.

Does anyone think this is viable, you could use the same argument with 9mm vs .40cal

Use of .45 LC ammo instead...

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    pogo2,
    You have brought up a good point, and have made me think that if you carried a 45 Colt round in the Alaskan can you defend yourself by saying that you were using an antiquated round, that was dropped by the Military and police forces 100 years ago in favor of something more effective?
    I agree that use of .45 LC ammunition would seem less "excessive" in a court than the .454 Casull ammo. But the Ruger revolver itself, an imposing gun, would still be exhibit A for the jury. And why carry a gun as big as the Ruger just to shoot ordinary .45 ammo?

You could buy a smaller revolver chambered in .45 ACP like this new model 25 from S&W with 3 inch barrel and moonclips. It has similar ballistics to .45 LC in a caliber that LEOs often use, and the gun won't look as "scary":

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links