New SRC9

New SRC9

This is a discussion on New SRC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Ruger SRC9 have not had a chance to shoot it look for info from people that have one good or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New SRC9

New SRC9

I just picked up a Ruger SRC9 have not had a chance to shoot it look for info from people that have one good or bad.
    Max
    USCG Ret.

What others think about what you have already picked up means nothing...enjoy your new pistola.
    smolck likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 47Gabe's Avatar
    My wife carries one. She loves it.

I have had the chance to shoot it several times and love the sights, I just don't care for all the safeties. But, overall a great gun!
    “Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
    ― Miyamoto Musashi, A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy

They are a great gun.... do yourself a favor though and remove the magazine safety. First, it is stupid. Second, the magazine safety on the SR pistols phyically blocks the firing pin from traveling far enough to strike a primer.... dry firing can cause wear and possibly damage the firing pin. I remopved it from my SR40C because I was having occasional light strikes. I took the gun apart and found there were slight wear marks on the mag safety where the firing pin would occasionaly drag across the mag safety when firing. I removed it and never had another problem with light strikes.

The mag safety is super easy to remove. Just watch some you tube videos... it takes about 5 minutes to do.

Also, I would consider some better sights for it. I found the factory sights to be lacking for a defensive gun. They were not quick to align. Very accurate but slow. However if they work for you all the better.

The magazine extenders are very useful, but are slippery when firing since they are very smooth plastic. I stippled mine with a soldering iron and it made a huge difference.

If you have the hi cap mag and grip extender, a weapon mounted light added to the rail makes it a great HD weapon. Just swap the mag to the compact for CC, drop the light and you are set to go.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    one of my all time fave.SR9c rocks and are priced right
    I just wish they made more accys for it
    sammeow likes this.

I had one. My biggest issue with it was that it was the hardest to rack slide of any firearm I had ever owned or shot. Others have had the same experience and yet others clearly don't. I found it adequate, but others really like them. Guns are fickle, and so are people.
    Kennydale likes this.

They are great guns. I had 2 in the past and never had trouble with either of them. They are probably the mildest shooting 9 and 40 's you will come across. Enjoy it.

Have and carry the SR40C. My two biggest complaints. The recoil spring takes a bit use to loosen up. Lock side open when not in use that will help. The infamous magazine safety.. Hate it. Best part ergonomics and trigger..... Love the trigger and reset.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Distinguished Member
    Very nice carry gun. Hundreds of rounds thru mine and no problems of any kind. The gun is a pleasure to shoot. Mag safety is a non-issue for me. You'll like it too.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I worked at a Gun Shop when they came out. We sold a lot of them and I don't remember any complaints or problems. I saw a few people use them, in our CCW Classes, to qualify and learn to shoot with. Later the SR9C came out. We had the same results. I always regreted not trying one. No, I never shot one but, if someone wanted to trade their compact and 10 mags for my Glock 26 and 10 mags, I would do it.

A friend of mine has one and I have shot his. I really liked it and would recommend one to anyone...
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Mine has been a great gun. Almost 3000 flawless rounds through mine.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    I just picked up a Ruger SRC9 have not had a chance to shoot it look for info from people that have one good or bad.
    i think you might have posted this BEFORE you bought it. Just sayin..

My wife and I both have concealed carry permits and we both have an SR9c. We share common controls, ammo, and magazines. Both of us keep a round chambered with the safety on, so if she has to grab mine she's familiar with the controls. (She keeps hers upstairs and I keep mine downstairs in a drawer next to my chair.) Around the house or under a jacket I use the 17 round mag, and when carrying concealed I use the 10 round mag and carry the 17 round mag for a reload.

This pistol has it all: excellent accuracy, trigger/reset, ergos, thin and easy to conceal, love the adjustable sights, and love the fact that as a night stand gun I can use the 17 round mag and a light on it, and shed all that and carry with the flush 10 round mag outside the home. I'm more accurate with my SR9c than I am with many full size guns. When I take my time I can keep all my shots in a half dollar size group or less even out to 25 feet, the length of my range. I have my sights dialed in to fit the ammo I shoot, and I usually overlap my shots in one ragged hole groups. I also removed the magazine disconnect safety which is very easy to do.

I recommend cleaning out the striker channel because the SR9 and SR9c have been known to come from the factory with oil or grease in the striker channel which could cause light strikes and misfires. Your trigger may be a little gritty until you break it in. I recommend removing the magazine disconnect then doing a lot of dry firing and your trigger will smooth up considerably. After break-in trigger smoothing, I think the trigger pull is better than most striker fired pistols on the market. Certainly better than Glock and M&P.
    Kennydale and sammeow like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

The time to ask opinions on something is before you buy it ... not after. Then value that opinion for what you paid for it ... ZERO. Although, honest first hand testimonials of others can be invaluable, but again, your timing is off.

Is now the time you want me to tell you that mine is complete junk & a waste of money?

Kidding, but you get the point. Love mine, actually hers. Gave it to my wife as a Valentine's Day present a couple years back (true romance, right?), & it's been great. My BIL shot it, & immediatley went out & got one for himself as well. I think you did OK this time.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links