Helping a friend shop: trigger pull is the question

This is a discussion on Helping a friend shop: trigger pull is the question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend just took his CCW class and is now shopping for a carry gun. He has some unusual requirements...and we don't have a consistently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping a friend shop: trigger pull is the question

Helping a friend shop: trigger pull is the question

A friend just took his CCW class and is now shopping for a carry gun. He has some unusual requirements...and we don't have a consistently WELL stocked shop nearby... Occasionally compacts come through, but they are the usual suspects: Glock, XD, occasionally a 1911 pattern, Kel-Tec, etc...

His issues:

1) He has had several hand surgeries that somewhat limit RH trigger finger mobility... He can fire his Ruger GP100 wheelie from SA and he can fire his 1911 with the extended match trigger. He cannot pull the trigger far enough to fire Glocks, XDs, CZs, Witness, and standard (short trigger) 1911s. He fires all fine with his LH, but is RH dominant and not willing to change...besides, he needs to be able to fire it with both hands.

2) He is...er...ample...and confined to a wheel chair (double amputee)...so he wants something smaller (shorter bbl and grip) than his beloved 1911. Frankly he can't use a waist holster or a regular shoulder holster (can't reach his arm pit). He's considering the 5.11 vests or a waist pack.

3) Another friend has a compact 1911 and cautioned that the recoil spring is in the neighborhood of 24#...and asked "can your wife cycle it if she needs to?" So, he's looking for other options. [I'm of the opinion that his wife should get her own weapon and permit.]

With those criteria out there... What say you? (Price is not a consideration.)

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    A commander size 1911 might work, depending on trigger. I think a 5.11 vest would get in the way of mobility from a wheel chair(plus lots of weight on 1 side). Bottom line, your friend needs to try some different guns and see what works for him.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Revolvers in Single Action?

If I read your post correctly, your friend can only fire revolvers in single action mode or a specific full size 1911 he owns. You have pretty much eliminated shorter barrel 1911s and the usual types of semiautos. But he is able to thumb cock the revolver and fire it single action.

I gather the Ruger GP100 he owns is too large and heavy for concealed carry, so maybe the best course for him is to find a smaller revolver with external hammer that allows thumb cocking. With enough practice he can probably become fairly fast at using the revolver in this mode.

There are plenty of candidate revolvers that fit this specification, especially the shorter barrel models from S&W and Ruger in .357 magnum. Just make sure it has a prominent, checkered hammer spur so his thumb won't slip.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Sounds like one problem is NOT being able to try many out before making a decision.

I just recently bought a S&W M&P and love the trigger pull - weight and distance - on it.

Maybe one of the M&P Compacts for him - IF he could hold one and at least dry fire it to be sure....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...h/swpopup.html
    Last edited by ArmyCop; January 24th, 2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Afterthought to add a link to support suggestion.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    hk p7 comes to mind as does walther / smith p99 . The smaller 1911s shouldnt be a problem for anyone given proper training . If i understood right the objection was his wife couldnt rack the slide , well go to a push pull rack instead of a slingshot .
    on the revolver side possibly a sp101 3" .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

His issue with most weapons is the length of trigger pull. His index finger will only bend so far...then nada. The 1911 frame pistols with the match trigger work fine. So does the Ruger revolver.... Yes, weight is an issue since he can't belt-carry.

He doesn't have a problem with the manual of arms for 1911s...of any size. The fly flew into the ointment when another friend asked "can you wife use it, too?"

I suggested "go with what you know...for now" and either teach the wife or let her choose her own wep.

I know first-hand the frustration of trying to pick a single weapon for me and my wife. I'll never do it again. I'll get what works for me and she can get what works for her...with her paycheck. Oh...she can keep my snub .38. I don't want it back. :)

Anyway...to clarify...looking for other style weps that have a similar trigger pull distance to that of a 1911 with the longer match trigger.

Sorry for any confusion.

Michael

IMHO your friend is going to have to try a few guns since grip width has such an effect on trigger reach . Ad to the above suggestions the browning hp and cz lines they should should be close . Almost any single action tho could be made to fit , by reshaping or putting a trigger shoe on the trigger to lengthon / shorten as needed.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Yep... Trying to get him to take a trip.... OTOH, are there any handguns, other than the 1911 pattern, that have adjustable or easily changeable pull length?

I measured my friend's 1911...trigger pull is just under .200

Michael

Administrator
    Have him look at the lady smiths... I know, I know, they say "lady smith" on them, and what man would want that. But, heres what you do... if the "lady" bothers him. Buy the regular version of that gun, and replace the springs etc. with the lady smith spec. ones.

I suggest the lady smith series because they are made for a weaker hand. The trigger pulls are lighter and in some cases shorter. In the autos, the actions are easier to cycle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    The Detonics Combat Master with a long trigger might be great.
    Very reliable for a chopped 1911

Click Here To Visit DETONICSUSA
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK...those are sweet lookin'!

It seems that his criteria are leaning toward a) can pull trigger, b) lighter than 1911 ( Yes, we have seen the Colt Ultra-Light Officers...and watched JHPs dig into the soft feed ramp), c) semi-auto in 9mm or larger......

This just keeps feeling more and more like Don Quixote's quest!!!!

So far, the option that has gotten his attention the most is adding a trigger shoe to whatever he choses...

Me? I'm still in the chopped 1911 camp.

Michael

( Yes, we have seen the Colt Ultra-Light Officers...and watched JHPs dig into the soft feed ramp)
    Umm nope you havent lol , Quite possibly you have seen follower damage there , but not off the rounds . Any alloy framed 1911 has this issue equaly .
    Kimbers almost got a bad rep for it due to thier pioneering effort in making lighter 1911s . The thing is any gunsmith can put in a steel ramp , or fit a ramped barrell if you refuse to change mags , but simply changing mags solves any contact with the feed ramp that could mar it .

I will concede the point.... It very well may have been follower damage to the feed ramp. The day the failure showed up, the JHPs were hanging on the gouge.... That particular wep is a friend's and currently at a gunsmith in north central Arkansas awaiting repair...where it has been for two years! (Long story...) While I would own one...I'd make sure the feed ramp issue was squared away first thing......

A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
    What if you used exploding golf balls? You know...first strike arms and second impact detonates?

Michael

hat particular wep is a friend's and currently at a gunsmith in north central Arkansas awaiting repair...
    Diz honestly if the smith would box it up i will pay a blue book less 10% for that 1911 , i can fix it and resell out here lol . any cheap and " wont work " 1911 will be entertained , and if i can come up with the scratch , well its bought .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    if the smith would box it up i will pay a blue book less 10% for that 1911
    Heck, if the smith would box it up and send it home it could go to another smith that is about 70 miles closer who does actually work on people's firearms in a timely fashion. Eor, our nickname for the owner of this fine firearm, had the smith-in-question build it on a Colt lightweight frame...so he took it back knowing that this guy is slow......but...he used to be an IPSC buddy. Gosh, after two years the guy could have lost it in his divorce. Must be nice to have such a well stocked weps safe as to not miss a 1911 here or there....

It's purdy, too... I'd miss it right quick like...

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links