Is a Glock 30 the most reliable 4"b or under .45?

This is a discussion on Is a Glock 30 the most reliable 4"b or under .45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always owned 9mms. I have a desire for a compact .45 and am really wrestling with selections. I was set to buy a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have always owned 9mms. I have a desire for a compact .45 and am really wrestling with selections. I was set to buy a Kimber Ultra Carry II, I really like the look and feel. I started hearing of problems and it put off my decision. I've heard good things from Glock owners that the Glock 30 is the best CCW pistol they produce. I know very little about other manufacturers .

Most Important factors

1). reliability
    2). conceal ability
    3). quality
    4). capacity
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Another reliability candidate in .45...

The Glock 30 has a good reputation for reliability, but so does this H&K USP 45 compact, which has a 3.8 inch barrel. Unlike the Glock the USP has thumb safety/decocker and can be carried cocked and locked like the 1911.

whw
    I think the 30 is the best shooter in the Glock stable. It meets all of your criteria, but you will have to work a little harder to conceal it. Some folks think it is a tad too wide, so I would take a long, hard look at it before opening the wallet.

I agree with the HK recommendation. It is a great gun. Another alternative you might want to consider is the Springfield XD in .45. The grip is a little slimmer than the 30 and they now have a "compact" model. The XD gets great reviews.

good luck

whw

also look at the taurus pt145. i just recently picked one up and i love it.

I like Glock alot, but I hate to shoot 45acp through Glock. The G30 has a wide grip and even with my larger paws, it's uncomfortable.

The XD compact is the perfect choice for polymers- it is concealable, holds 10 rounds or 13 with extended magazine, nice safety features, etc.

If you're thinking about 1911's there are many choices (all are more expensive.)

I have had one for a year now, and love it. If you can get a good grip, and reach the trigger, you should give it a try. Just get ready for all the lethal tupperware jokes.

My wife has the USP Compact in 9mm, a very nice gun. In fact she is looking at getting the .45 version.

The Glock has a better price point than the HK, and you can take the whole gun apart with out having to take armorers course. It is nice for that deep cleaning.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Ive had my 30 for about 7-8 years now. Fired probably only 5000 rounds through it though :( (not enough practice). I have had NO
    problems with it so far, and I have run a variety of factory brands through it.

It is a tad big, but despite the fact I have smallish hands I find it comfortable to shoot 2 handed/main hand (its a bit big for comfortable offhand shooting though-a reason I am looking at an xd or smaller caliber glock for my next gun).

Its a very accurate pistol, and overall I am very pleased with it.

Oh and until I get my Tucker "Answer" Im currently carrying in a paddle holster OWB. I still dont have any major problem concealing it even during the summer. I am fairly slender and tend to wear slightly oversized shirts but nothing drastic really.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I have always owned 9mms. I have a desire for a compact .45 and am really wrestling with selections. I was set to buy a Kimber Ultra Carry II, I really like the look and feel. I started hearing of problems and it put off my decision. I've heard good things from Glock owners that the Glock 30 is the best CCW pistol they produce. I know very little about other manufacturers .
    The Ultra Carry II is a 3" model. Kimber makes several good 4" models. Here's a link to my range report on the Pro Carry II I have. It has turned out to be a great handgun.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...e+Report+Carry
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I love my G30. I am 5-10 and 145# on a good day and have never had problems concealing it with my active lifestyle. The claim of it is too fat to hide is pure BS.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Most Important factors

1). reliability
    2). conceal ability
    3). quality
    4). capacity
    It is my belief that the G30 is, indeed, the "pick of the litter" as far as that which Glock sells. I have had mine for several years and have found it to be a high quality, highly reliable handgun. As far as concealibilty is concerned that is entirely up to you. If you are willing to make the necessary concessions/preparations then just about any handgun can be successfuly carried concealed. The G30's normal capacity is 10+1 of 45 ACP.

Recently I purchased a Springfield Armory XD45 and, from my point of view, it is a better choice in a 4" 45ACP. It has noticeably better ergonomics, is equally reliable and capacity can be 13+1 which is a lot of 45ACP to carry around. My recommendations would be the XD45 over the G30 FWIW
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The G-36 is a possibility too. It'll only carry 6+1, but it's thinner, especially in the grip area than the others.

There're a lot of choices...Glock, H&K, Kahr, Taurus, I'm sure I'm another one or two.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member
    I love Glock, but when it comes to .45 ACP I cringe if it isn't a 1911. With that in mind, Springfield is my choice unless you want to spend the money to get a "custom" gun.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have not been able to find a Glock 36 to handle.
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Recently I purchased a Springfield Armory XD45 and, from my point of view, it is a better choice in a 4" 45ACP. It has noticeably better ergonomics, is equally reliable and capacity can be 13+1 which is a lot of 45ACP to carry around. My recommendations would be the XD45 over the G30 FWIW

One of our local gun shops really pushes the XD45. They claim that LEO that have a choice of their sidearms are moving to springfield Armory. I might have to take another look at them. I did handle the xd45, but at the time I was totally unaware of what its reputation was.

J.S.[/QUOTE]
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

I think most of the decision comes down to what you have the most confidence in for your personal performance.

After many years of owning, caring for, and shooting many, many different handguns, I've determined that I have more confidence in my abilty with a quality 1911 than any other handgun for self-defense. That includes all the aspects of carrying concealed, presentation, and marksmanship in a defensive (not a target) context. If the chips were down, I think I'd do a good job with whatever was available, but, given a choice, I'll pick the 1911. Specifically, I've chosen a Kimber Ultra for primary CCW. Single-action, positive safeties, slim profile, big caliber, ease of operation, and ubiquitous. All work for me.

Any high-quality firearm will be reliable. While there may be individual examples of any platform that perform poorly, you have the ability to weed those out.

So, try 'em all, find the one that you carry, handle and shoot best, (realizing that no decision is irrevocable). Then practice, practice, practice!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links