Pistol Weaponlight

This is a discussion on Pistol Weaponlight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into purchasing a weaponlight for the picatinny rail on my M&P pistol. I am planning on keeping it as a nightstand gun ...

Thread: Pistol Weaponlight

Pistol Weaponlight

I am looking into purchasing a weaponlight for the picatinny rail on my M&P pistol. I am planning on keeping it as a nightstand gun locked in a quickaccess safe. I have decided that I would like to buy a surefire pistol weaponlight. Please don't harass me about putting a metal light on a plastic gun. I have just been impressed with the quality of their products in the past and trust them. The question I have is, which of their two lights would you recommend. They have a narrow focus 60 lumen light and a wide focus 100 lumen light.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...4283/sesent/00

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...1110/sesent/00

The wide focus 100 lumen light is supposed to be better for peripheral threat identification while the narrow focus light is supposed to be better for long range threat identification. I am currently leaning toward the 100 lumen broad focus lamp. Which light would you recommend and why?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Either one would be a good choice, Surefire doesn't make any junk! For a home defense handgun, my choice would be the "B" model. I like the wider focus for room clearing. A momentary flash of the light lets you illuminate the entire room with a single flash. This allows you to illuminate and move quickly without making yourself such a good target. A more focused beam requires multiple illuminations to catch all the corners of the room.
    str1

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I have an X200 that I have clamped on my home defense Beretta Vertec 92G 9mm. I purchased that one due to Surefire's quality, the features of that light, and because I got it cheap (it was used).

I would have preferred getting the Bravo model due to the reason you stated: broader beam. That allows for, as you again stated, better peripheral identification.

The bottom line is this: given where you are planning on deploying your weapon/light, do you have very long corridors? Shorter spaces? Does your house have enough windows allowing outside streetlight and/or moon (when available) illumination? If so, the X200 maybe good enough. For my purposes it is. Plus the light "spillage" is sufficient that I do get some peripheral illumination from its more narrow beam.

...and don't worry, no one is going to "harrass" you here.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links