LCR 22LR for Cheap Practice - Worth While?

This is a discussion on LCR 22LR for Cheap Practice - Worth While? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a LCR357. I normally practice at the range with 38Special ammo. I noticed my local gun shop has a new LCR 22LR for ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By pattrickg
  • 1 Post By coffeecup
  • 1 Post By Buckeye63
  • 1 Post By hardluk1
  • 1 Post By WisconsinJohns
  • 1 Post By WisconsinJohns
  • 1 Post By BBI

Thread: LCR 22LR for Cheap Practice - Worth While?

I carry a LCR357. I normally practice at the range with 38Special ammo. I noticed my local gun shop has a new LCR 22LR for $429. I have seen some issues reported related to LCR 22LR quality. Anyone have experience with it? Do you find it helpful as a practice gun? BTW - I would look forward to shooting around with it. I think it would be fun. What are your thoughts of the price?

Since your post is not receiving much attention I'll chime in. I tend to enjoy carrying my snubbies. Thinking much like yourself I purchased the little .22 LCR. I have to say that it does indeed come in handy as a trainer type weapon. While some will condemn the lack of recoil for training, the trigger time and the point shooting that can be done by the hundreds of rounds literally with the .22 seem to be quite useful as trigger time. And yes I find this kind of shooting helps when changing into the larger calibers. Time with a snubby seems to translate well despite the caliber for myself. That being said I tend to be recoil sensitive as a brick. I will often chase plastic wiffle golf balls along the hillside by merely point shooting from the hip, weak handed drills and anything else that trips my trigger at the time. The lowly .22 helps me cheaply repeat these drills with minimal effects on myself physically and being done cheaply. Whats not to like? As far as the current price comment, I have had mine around since they first came out. I remember them being lower.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    I really really want an LRC in .22lr! I have the .38 Special version and just handling the .22 it feels the same. My situation is probably unique, though- right now I have an extra 5,000 rounds or so of .22 LR ammo that won't feed through any of my autos. That's a ******* lot of ammo, especially given the scarcity of .22 shells. So in my case it would probably be worth getting another gun to use it all up.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    trigger time is great either way. but with it hard to find 22lr save the 429 and get more ammo for the 38
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

At todays prices for .22 ammo you can reload and practice with your carry piece cheaper.
    SIGP250 likes this.

I have no personal experience with the gun but I've heard reviews say the trigger pull is long.

Distinguished Member Array Buckeye63's Avatar
    I think a LCR in 9mm ..would be the ticket...heck 9mm ammo is cheap ..and plentiful..

9mm LCR could be used as a training piece for your LCR 357 mag ..same size and weight ..similar recoil....and LCR 9mm could also be used as a SD carry option ...just my 3 cents (inflation)
    Chorizo likes this.

I heard that the trigger is harder on the LCR 22 than the other Center fire LCRs. It has to be because of the rim fire. I dry fired the LCR22 at the store and it did not feel bad. Maybe a little stiffer.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You couldinvest in some rubber bullets from X-Ring , and a hand primer and primers. Drill out the center of the brass and you could shoot in a basement , garage or outside . A card board box with a old towel folded over a rod that's run thru the bow can act as a great bullet stop. Shoot the towel or hang a target on it. Just besure you NEVER use the drill out brass in normal reloads. I have used them for 25 years .
    But a 22lr make for a great range training aid too.

X-Ring Rubber Bullets 38 Cal (357 to 358 Diameter) Box of 50
    X-ring rubber pistol bullets | EmptorMaven
    Phaedrus likes this.

Update - I Got the LCR 22LR. I purchased some CCI Quiet Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Subsonic Box (1,000 rounds for 74.00 with shipping). Shooting them through the LCR was great. I will be looking for other 22lr deals. I had fun and feel I got great trigger practice. The LCR22lr is a little lighter than my LCR357, but I like it.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinJohns View Post
    Update - I Got the LCR 22LR. I purchased some CCI Quiet Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Subsonic Box (1,000 rounds for 74.00 with shipping). Shooting them through the LCR was great. I will be looking for other 22lr deals. I had fun and feel I got great trigger practice. The LCR22lr is a little lighter than my LCR357, but I like it.
    005.JPG
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Kutz's Avatar
    Love my LCR & KLCR, maybe I need the .22 for cheaper practice.
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member, VFW
    If you don't know what your doing, Don't.

BBI
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinJohns View Post
    I noticed my local gun shop has a new LCR 22LR for $429.
    You can reload a LOT of .38 for that. I know you said you already bought one, but think of the advantages of reloading. You can load to mimic your carry rounds, you are using your actual carry piece instead of one that's similar but with a different trigger and much different recoil, and its a pretty fun hobby.

Plus with a revolver you can recover your brass pretty easily and you can reload them plenty of times before they start to split. I've got .38 brass on its 5th and 6th go-round.
    WisconsinJohns likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links