Glock G26 / G19 Question

Glock G26 / G19 Question

This is a discussion on Glock G26 / G19 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking for a new carry gun. Using a 5 shot snubby now but I have to go to my 4 inch 357 when I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Glock G26 / G19 Question

Been looking for a new carry gun. Using a 5 shot snubby now but I have to go to my 4 inch 357 when I want to practice shooting a bit farther. I have decided to bob the little 38 and keep it around for pocket carry when needed. Also the wife likes it so she can use it when needed.

I am looking to pick up a new auto and had decided for my price range (500.00) the Glock 26 was my choice. When looking at it today in the shop I decided I would need a Mag extension to make it comfortable to shoot. With the mag extension it is just about the size of the G19. With the longer barrel on the G19 I might be able to play around at a bit longer distances with the same gun I carry.

Any thoughts from Glock owners? I am left handed and it feels like the Glock will work fairly well for me. This will be used as my primary carry gun. Any thoughts from Glock owners on either of these firearms?

I too was interested in a G26 or an XD compact or a Kahr PM9. I wanted something I could conceal easily. When I held all three, they just seemed to small. I tried out the G19 and bought it on the spot. Been carrying the G19 for a couple of weeks in and IWB strongside holster. Don't even know it's there. It was more concealable then I thought it would be. Not to mention that it shoots great! I recommend the G19!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
    ~Samuel Adams

Might as well get the G19

I have a G19 but not a G26. I believe the strength of the G26 is the short grip, which makes concealment easier. If you are going to lengthen the grip with a mag extension, the G26 really won't conceal much easier than a G19, and you might as well get the G19. The slightly longer G19 barrel doesn't really handicap concealment and makes accurate shooting a little easier.

The G19 is a good carry gun, with 15+1 capacity and excellent reliability. I used to carry mine until I went to .40 and .45 caliber. I had the slide hard chromed by Tripp in Texas, and put on better sights than the gun came with:

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention in my first post that the concealability was my reason for looking at the 26. I was concerned a little about the 19 being a bit big. I will be packing it around in a MaxCon VI .

My wife and I both have G26's as our EDC's. The shorter grip is not a problem for us, but we have medium size hands. I also have a G17 I carry occasionally. I've never shot a G19, so I have no opinion on it. Lots of folks love G19's though, so I'd recommend you shoot one if possible to help you decide. Good luck, and welcome BTW.

Pogo's comment on the grips is right on.

A MaxCon VI will work great with it too as I've "heard" (time and time again from others,...... and Gary carries Glock's occasionally IIRC).

Creto9423,
    Where did you pick yours up at?

I have both the 26 and the 19. I prefer to carry the 19, and as you said, with a mag extension on the 26, there is not much difference between the two as far as concealability goes. That being said, the 26 is more concealable without the extension. I often carry it in a pocket holster with the right pants.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

My wife and I both have G26s and we really like them. I think they conceal easy and are extremely reliable & accurate. My wife is 5'6 110lbs and she has never stovepiped the gun. I broke in a Kahr pm9 side by side with one of the G26s and after taking everything into consideration I carry the G26. The PM9 does carry better but the bottom line is that I had complete confidence in the Glock and the Kahr left me wondering about reliability. I bought both our G26s at Cabelas, they have a 30 day return policy.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

I shoot a Glock 22 only slightly better than a G23 or G27 (both of which I shoot the same). Both the 23 & 27 are smaller, easier to conceal, and with a Pierce pinky extension they are nearly the same size, 23 barely longer. The G23 has a higher capacity than the G27 so one up for it. So, same caliber, no great size difference, only moderately discernable accuracy gains, but bigger does offer more ammo capacity. IMO you lose nothing in concealability but might get a few small (but good) gains in going with the slightly larger model. All that said, I carry the G27 because I just like it best, so it's really what you feel most comfortable with!

Its just my personal opinion, but if you're going to carry a Glock 26 with a grip extension, then you might as well get the glock 19. The part of the gun that requires the concealment is the grip, and with the extension they are about the same length. At least with the 19 you get 5 extra rounds. I own both and carry the 26 the majority of the year. When its colder and I can wear a light jacket, I carry the 19. Also, as far as the difference in barrel lengths, I don't think the extra 0.5 inch on the 19 will get you much more in distance when compared to the 26. All in all they are both great guns, and neither of them have ever jammed or failed to fire on me. I think you should consider yourself lucky to carry either of these.
    Last edited by GlockinItUp; January 26th, 2007 at 10:43 PM.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    Been looking for a new carry gun. Using a 5 shot snubby now but I have to go to my 4 inch 357 when I want to practice shooting a bit farther. I have decided to bob the little 38 and keep it around for pocket carry when needed. Also the wife likes it so she can use it when needed.

I am looking to pick up a new auto and had decided for my price range (500.00) the Glock 26 was my choice. When looking at it today in the shop I decided I would need a Mag extension to make it comfortable to shoot. With the mag extension it is just about the size of the G19. With the longer barrel on the G19 I might be able to play around at a bit longer distances with the same gun I carry.

Any thoughts from Glock owners? I am left handed and it feels like the Glock will work fairly well for me. This will be used as my primary carry gun. Any thoughts from Glock owners on either of these firearms?
    Don't know why you'd want LONGER range as the farther away the BG is the less likely you could warrent shooting at him.

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post

Since the width of the 26 is the same as the 19 I would get the 19.

The 26 isn't really a pocket pistol, and you yourself said you would prefer the longer barrel. It sounds to me that the 19 would be what you are looking for. If you truely want a small pocket rocket I would look at the Kahr PM9.

I have a few guns that I carry for CCW, and all the Glocks have been modified by having a NY1 Trigger installed so that all my triggers function and feel the same.

I currently carry:
    Glock 19 with NY1 Trigger
    Kahr PM9 (stock)
    S&W 22
    S&W 442

Biker

Creto9423,

At the Gun Den in Emporia, Kansas. I also had them install tritium night sights when I purchased the pistol.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
    ~Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have owned both. I got rid of my 26 and bought a 23, which is the same size as the 19 offered in .40 caliber.

I found the 26 was easier to conceal without the finger extension, but it was uncomfortable to shoot without the finger extension (I have large hands). My compromise for a while was to carry no finger extension in the gun, and my extra mag had the finger extension, or I would carry a 15 round glock 19 mag as my spare.

I also found that accuracy was better and more natural with the 19 which I attibuted to the longer barrell presenting a better sight picture. That is a personal thing. I really had no problems between the two, but my wife could not hit the side of a barn with the 26. The 19 she was a dead perfect shot.

In the end, I got rid of the 26 in favor of the 19 and 23. I have had no problem concealing either one, and the package is really not much bigger than the 26. Since you are looking at those models, you might want to consider the 23 or 27 which would give .40 s&w in the same size gun.

I carry my 23 in an IWB custom holster made by Ted Blocker in Tigard, OR. It is the most comfortable IWB I have ever had the pleasure of wearing, and I would put it up against any others without hesitation. And I didn't have to wait up to 2 years to get it.

www.tedblockerholsters.com

This is what I carry http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/DA3.html
    Last edited by SonofASniper; January 26th, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Yes: I also have a Ted Blocker holster but OWB. Have had it for over 10 years and it is the most comfortable holster that I've ever owned.
    I also have a "G 27" and large hands 6'2".However having shot a 44 mag Rugar black hawk for over 45 years on a regular basis with stock grips;Ive gotten used to curling my little finger under the base of the grip it works just fine. Wished I could shoot as straight with the "27" as I can with the 44. Have gotten older,so sights are farther away [longer arms] and targets are smaller. So go from there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links