trigger options

This is a discussion on trigger options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been bouncing back and forth on what trigger option would be best for a concealed weapon. In this case the weapon will be ...

Thread: trigger options

trigger options

I have been bouncing back and forth on what trigger option would be best for a concealed weapon. In this case the weapon will be a P2000. There are no ranges around that rent expensive pieces to get a feel for the two options (LEM or DA/SA). It seems that the company introduced the latter more recently as the original LEM was "not conducive for accurate shooting", but this was referring to the heavier 8.5lb trigger. My picks are the 4.5lb lem or the v3. Would the lighter trigger on the v1 LEM (4.5-5lbs.) be as efficient in a tactical situation as a regular auto (v3)?

Also, on the LEM models, having a round in the chamber means the mainspring is cocked. For a concealed carry weapon (the mainspring will almost always be cocked) will this present problems with a mainspring that wears out quickly or produces light-strikes?

2. Remove Ads

No a main spring is not going to take set and be a problem

Can't really help you on trigger choice as i Carry a Single Action

All my carry weapons have a similar trigger.

I got rid of my 1911 because everything else was either a DA revolver of a DA semi-auto.

I currently carry either a Glock 19 with a NY1 Trigger, a Kahr PM9, a S&W 22 and/or a S&W 442. Having the same trigger every time is important to me. I don't feel that an eight pund trigger or heavier is a detriment to accurate shooting.

In fact, the heavier trigger helps to eliminate the, "The gun went off by accident" aspect of a civil trial. I've worked too hard for what I have to lose it to scumbag or family of a scumbag that I am forced to shoot.

Biker

I appreciate the replies fellas. You bring up a good point about the liability issue, but it seems to me that the DA and attourneys may wonder about my choice to carry a weapon with no mechanical safety. The consistent trigger pull sounds like a good feature, but the model I am interested in has a pull as light as most SA (4.5lb)... which might imply that the v3 (da/sa) is a safer choice. Afterall there won't be much argument about my second round being "accidental". I suppose the decider is whether the light LEM trigger will be as good as the short SA pull of the v3 (also 4.5lb). It doesn't seem like many have tried the lighter v1 model. Thanks again.

VIP Member
    You can come up with every possible scenario for getting sued, and it won't change anything. If you shoot someone, with any type of weapon, there is a chance of there being a law suit. There is a chance you're going to jail. So, make sure you don't use force unless you're justified. Other than that, weight of trigger pull or types of safety, or any other thing is secondary and just something you may have to deal with.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I Only Carry SA's...

but I will not have the trigger's redone...
    Keep it original...
    Practice with it...

Know your 'pull'..

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    ... It seems that the company introduced the latter more recently as the original LEM was "not conducive for accurate shooting", but this was referring to the heavier 8.5lb trigger. My picks are the 4.5lb lem or the v3. Would the lighter trigger on the v1 LEM (4.5-5lbs.) be as efficient in a tactical situation as a regular auto (v3)? ...
    I have the P2000 LEM in 40. I bought it with its standard configuration with the heavier trigger. I was throwing the idea around about putting the lighter pull on it. Never did that because it is such a sweet shooter. H&K has had TDA (DA/SA) well before they came up with the LEM trigger config.

As per not conductive for accurate shooting, I don't subscribe to that. The first pull is long but for the most part, there is no pressure on it. The pressure comes on right at the end before the trigger breaks. Can't feel any overtravel and successive shots the reset is quite short. The majority of people that would complain about not being conductive to accuracy are those who anticipate recoil and push the muzzle down before the 1st shot actually goes off (due to long trigger pull). I think righties who anticipate shoot low and left, lefties low and right. Once they do some dry firing to take care of the anticipation, their accuracy is spot on.

It is totally ambi which is great. It has 2nd strike capability. Its manual of arms is the simplest you can have. It has an external bobbed hammer (which to me is great, I can keep my thumb over the hammer while reholstering for safe reholstering).

If you are looking for same trigger pull type of weapon, Sig also has a DAK trigger configuration. not to mention the Glock, XD, revolver, etc. ...

If looking for more hk info go to http://hkpro.com and browse their forums - HD Handgun Talk.

also as per liability, P2000. LEM = Law Enforcement Modification, Winchester Ranger LEO ammunition (for law enforcement). The Border Patrol is issued the P2000. If it is good enough for LEO, it's good enough for me.

It is hard to judge from dry-firing, but in firing at a target from a distance, can you draw the slack up from the trigger to the point of resistance comfortably then snap off a round (how a SA would feel) when you want it to? or is it a little more unpredictable as a revolver would be? I guess the best way to put it is "is it the same as a single-action with a bit of slack up front before the set point?"

I could very easily draw the slack up to the point of resistance, then snap off a round. The snapping off the round would NOT be like snapping off a nice SA 1911 (at the point of resistance, the resistance is a little more than a light SA). The snapping off portion, IMO, would be sorta / somewhat / kinda like the point where a standard glock fires. It is not at all like a revolver (at least the DAO revolvers I've shot)

In rough terms, the first strike is a long easy pull to release the slack and then a kinda like glock engagement. Virtually no overtravel, and the reset distance is pretty short, almost at the glock.

If I could get the P2000 in 45 acp with high capacity and 4" barrel, I would be an extremely happy camper.

I have a ny2 trigger in my carry G19 which is supposed to equal 12lbs , but it feels much less because of the really short trigger pull. So you really can't just go by the lbs in my opinion because to me the 12lb trigger feels less than some of my other guns that have 8lb's or less because of the short trigger travel. You might want to try them all out, as for accuracy I don't think my ny2 trigger in my g19 has hurt it because I am so used to DOA handguns.

ok I'm back to favoring the LEM again. since this weapon is for personal defense (esp. for my weekend job delivering pizzas) the da should prove easier if the SHTF. I had kinda liked the idea of the da/sa weapons for the "cool" switches and leavers, and used the heavier first pull of the v3 possibly being safer to ease the decision. when I have some more cash i'll probably pick up a beretta 92 or something for fun at the range for that purpose. I guess my last question concerns the safety of a 4.5lb trigger with no manual safety. think this will present any problems, physically or legally? I'm thinking not, but I imagine there are some who disagree....? thanks for all the help so far

Links