Pocket carry revolver

Pocket carry revolver

This is a discussion on Pocket carry revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently employed at McDonalds, and of course we're required to tuck in our shirts, so I'm not able to carry like I normally do. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket carry revolver

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Pocket carry revolver

I'm currently employed at McDonalds, and of course we're required to tuck in our shirts, so I'm not able to carry like I normally do. I'd really hate to go unarmed, even if it is company policy, my life isn't worth risking for a job with crappy pay. I was looking into the Taurus Ultra Lite 38 Specials, because I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. I absolutely cannot stand going unarmed, at all. I feel "naked". I used to have a Kel-Tec P3AT, but sold it. I do have a Ruger SP101, but its a bit heavy for pocket carry. Does Taurus make their ultra lites with spureless hammers? I'm willing to spend no more than 350 dollars.

You should be able to find a good used Smith in your price range. Not sure Taurus makes a shrouded hammer lightweight.
    sre1

85 Chult

I have a Taurus 85 CHULT. It is hammerless, but no shroud. Nice little gun. It's my companion when I need to dress up or go for my walk...
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies. That's a nice little Taurus 85 you have there Realleycat. I'll look into the S&Ws as well.

whw
    Check a S&W 642. I do believe this is probably the most carried gun in the States.

good luck,

whw

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    Check a S&W 642. I do believe this is probably the most carried gun in the States.

good luck,

whw
    Take a look at this website on THR.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too would HIGHLY encourage you to get an S&W J frame 642. If you can't afford it right now, consider waiting until you can or look for a new one. At $350, you're not that far from the cost of a new one at all, probably another $100 dollars. I have a 637 but really wish I'd gotten the 642. You just don't need to cock the hammer in a defensive situation. I love ruger revolvers even though the SP101 3" I just bought is locking up on me...but for true pocket carry, the S&W airweights are the best.

Taurus is and okay weapon but at the end of the day, S&W's are truly the best of the best...

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    S&W is the way to go in my opinion.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Ron
    +1 on the S&W 642. I pocket carry mine very comfortably all day in cargo shorts, or docker pants, when it gets a bit cool. With a good pocket holster, such as a Mika, the 642 really can't be beat for a pocket carry gun. IMO, it is worth waiting until you save the bit of extra money.

Ron

I second, or fifth, fourth, third, whatever the S&W 442/642.

I would hoever advise you to not carry where it is against policy to do so and also advise you to seek employment elsewhere. Trust me, if you carry at work you WILL be found out in time. Don't ask me how I know.

Biker

I have both a S&W640 and a Taurus 85Chult.

I prefer to 640 because I'm kinda a wimp. The 85 has a little too much bite for me to want to practice with much.

Also, I had problems with my 85 and Taurus attempted to fix it but sent it back to me with the same problems. I took it to my gunsmith and he fixed it. Haven't had a problem since.

The 85 WILL disappear in your pocket and you will surprise yourself when you stick you hand in your pocket and find the gun. It is a bear to shoot and a dream to carry.

Just 2 cents from an old wimp.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member
    Yes, Taurus does make Ultralites with spurless hammers and Double-Action only:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu...cfm?series=UL2

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I have a 642 and I like it. Notwithstanding, I will dissent with the opinion of wait until you can save for the 642. If you need a gun, you need it now!!! If you have the scratch, get the gun you can afford and carry. Once things are financially better, trade it or buy outright the 642.

"Ahhh excuse me mr. criminal, come back in 11 weeks, I'll have the 642 by then."

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I must be missing something here.

MA gun prices tend to be HIGH due to the restrictions here on what can be sold by dealers, however the S&W 642 (Highly recommended) is NOT that expensive. $369 retail for new see this site (great folks to deal with too):

http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_new_hg.html

I bought mine from them (lightly) used for ~$289 back in June 2006. So the OP should be able to find it used ~$300 in his backyard with a little looking.
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I just saw a 642 at Gander Mountian yesterday for $400.00 new. Thats $80.00 less than i paid for it this past summer. I too would reccomend the 642. Its a sweet gun.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links