1st time out w/New SP101 3"..not good!

This is a discussion on 1st time out w/New SP101 3"..not good! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just picked up a new Ruger SP101. Was at home dry firing it and notice that every 20-30 times I'd pull back the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time out w/New SP101 3"..not good!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

1st time out w/New SP101 3"..not good!

Well I just picked up a new Ruger SP101. Was at home dry firing it and notice that every 20-30 times I'd pull back the hammer it would hang up. If I let up and then pulled again it was fine. Never a problem in DA but I was concerned. Took it out to the woods after visiting some people and did some shooting. Here's what I observed

-This gun is sharp!! I have nicks on my trigger finger from the frame above the trigger. Gun desperately needs to be dehorned (by the way, was shooting 125gr .357 semi-jacketed remmingtons)
    -The hammer hanging up when I wanted to try SA got more pronounced after only a dozen rounds or so. Stoped shooting but now it hangs up just about every time and now I notice something binding up in DA. I should have taken it right back to the gun store before firing a single round...
    -Recoil w/.357 is definitely stout @ 125 grains. Can't imagine 158...
    -Mine was shooting very low and left. Didn't have any other ammo so I'll have to reserve judgement but it seems quite a bit off.

Now the gun is is jamming in both SA and DA. I'm awfully disappointed that a ruger revolver would come this way from the factory. Seems as something is working loose in the hammer/trigger assemblies.

-Although I'll get it worked out and I know it'll be fine, I have to admit, S&W rules the world of revolvers for a reason.

I've got an email out to Marc at Gemini and might just see if he can fix this and do a full action job at the same time. I suspect is something simple and something he'd be working with anyway as I want to get his custom package on this. I'd hate to have to send it to ruger, then wait, then get it back and send it to Gemini but I suppose that's likely. I do think the SP101 would benefit greatly from an action job.

I also took out my keltec P3AT and fired a few mags. Got several failures to extact after 3 mags and got one light strike. This gun had been completely reliable for quite a few boxes of this ammo. I had huge problems with it when it was new but after 2 trips home I thought they had it running great. Now a few FTE's aren't the end of the world but it is enought to make me not want to trust it. I want this gun to be reliable because it's the best pocket piece in theory but this particular one has been too unreliable. I'm tempted to trade it off on something else.

To end my trip I pulled out my S&W 637 J frame and shot that a bit. After the magnum .357's the 135grain gold dot .38 +p's felt tame! No matter what anyone says, these little S&W J frames are just the gold standard for a pocket gun!

Well, just goes to show that no matter what kind of gun you buy, it can have problems but I am surprised as I've never ever had any kind of problem with a revolver, ever...

Well have a great weekend guys...
    God Bless
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; January 27th, 2007 at 05:49 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Had to send my SP back twice, it was doing the same thing as yours the first time. My dealer got it through Davidsons, he returned the gun to them both times and I had a new one within a week.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Sisco, how's it running for you now? I'd also be curious which holster(s) you use?

I'm going to call the shop I bought it from on Monday to see what they say. It'd be easier if they dealt with sending it back. Still disappointing! Well, we'll get there from here...

Thanks!
    Gideon

I've had Rugers for over fourty years and have never had a problem. It seems like their guality control is slipping lately. I had read a few gripes lately. Did you read the one about the 500 that was out of time and spitting lead. They have expanded thier line lately and might have hired some new people. I would send it back to Ruger and get it dehorned and the internal works fixed. Good luck I hope you get a flawless gun back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Sisco, how's it running for you now? I'd also be curious which holster(s) you use?

I'm going to call the shop I bought it from on Monday to see what they say. It'd be easier if they dealt with sending it back. Still disappointing! Well, we'll get there from here...

Thanks!
    Gideon
    No problems at all, one of my favorite guns. Carrying it right now matter of fact.

I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Gideon, I have a 3" SP101 in .357 ... and while I have never had any of the problems that you have encountered I can tell you that I put a set of Hogue wood grips on mine and it really made a difference as far as perceived recoil is concerened. My 15 y/o son can shoot the thing all day long. Just an FYI ...
    NRA Patron Member
    CCWs Glock 29, 27, Bersa 380

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    -Recoil w/.357 is definitely stout @ 125 grains. Can't imagine 158...
    Suprisingly enough it will be less recoil with the heavier grain bullet. Generaly thats the case. But I would get used to it by shooting standard .38 stuff.

Hope you get it fixed. Good luck with it.

Saddens me - never had any problems with any of my Rugers (including my new SP101) but have heard of others having problems. I hope they are not slipping.

Pull it down and check the index pawl for burrs and also see if the action and requires no tools other than a screwdriver to remove grips

Bud, what about the action?

I'll check the index thing for burrs, I can do that...also guys, does it cause any problems going back and forth between .38's and .357 rounds?

I read one post on a forum where a guy said he only shoots .357 in his because of build up from .38's.

Is there anything I should be concerned about by going back and forth or something I should be watching for? Never thought about it before; just thought it would be great to shoot both in the same gun

Thanks guys
    Gideon

Sorry to hear about your problems with the SP-101. Whichever route you choose to repair and customize to meet your needs, once it is running right, it is a great revolver. I had Marc at Gemini supply a revolver for the custom package he did on my SP and the results are exactly what I had hoped for - a easily carried, reliable, accurate 5 shot .357 revolver that is a real joy to shoot. Switching between .38 and .357 rounds has not been a big deal - there is a ring formed at the end of the .38 shell, however, it has not slowed down the extraction of .357 empties or reloading with .357 rounds after 100 rounds of .38 148gr WC in a range session. It just requires a little more elbow grease to clean the cylinder walls. Good luck!

Good info PK14....

And I just got done checking the timing pawl. I couldn't see any burrs anywhere within the trigger assembly. It was fun figuring out the little spring behind the pawl but I got it back together and it's no better and no worse.

Simply not going to worry about it. This is why it's important to have more than one good CCW. Will send it off to Ruger Monday and just relax

I guess I'll try some .38's when I first get it back!

God Bless
    gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; January 28th, 2007 at 01:11 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    Late to thread - but, sorry to hear you had issues - pretty rare I would say. My 2 1/4 has been grade A1 from get go, altho of course like most SP's needs some use and dry fire to smooth out the trigger a bit.

Hard to know what causes your troubles but - I do reckon that most snubs are usually better sighted for 158's than lighter bullets.... the gun rises that bit more with heavier and so POI higher.

Dehorning is well worth the effort if it's a bother re sharp edges - that is IMO a bit of a feature on Rugers. But - on stainless guns it really is not too hard to use some 600 grit paper here and there to just slightly ease some edges.

The 38/.357 deal has been covered but IMO it takes a lot of .38's to make a ring in chambers sufficient to make .357 insertions hard ....... and in fact settled in my SP on carrying .110 Corbon +P's when I used it for carry. The slight deviation from POI didn't bother me enough to matter.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

love my sp101 3"

this is my primary concealed carry pistol. don hume IWB holster does just fine for a great price.

the pistol was a bit rough when i first got it, but i knew that after reading about it on the web. i expected to polish out some spots and change the springs. i did both and the trigger is much, much better than factory. some Flitz and some Wolf springs are a small price to pay for a great pistol that will last a lifetime.

Mine was a bit rough at first but it broke in fine. It is built like a tank and it likes the heavier bullets. Steve48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links