New Makarov

New Makarov

This is a discussion on New Makarov within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on one of my Saturday gun hunts. Everywhere I normally go was a dry run. They were all off to a gun show ...

Thread: New Makarov

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

New Makarov

I was on one of my Saturday gun hunts. Everywhere I normally go was a dry run. They were all off to a gun show with everything except what pieces no one really wanted. I have a pretty large group of shops to check out,and every one was pretty bare. I stopped in one and looked at a well worn and used Mak that he wanted $270.00 for with nothing extra. Several more stops and nothing interesting to check out. On the way to lunch my uncle and I spotted a Pawn Shop that we'd never been in. This called for a quick response, we had to go see if there was anything of interest there. As I walked in the cases looked pretty bare, thinking this was going to be another bust I approached the cases not seeing much there. After taking a closer look I saw a Mak in one case and a Mak in another case. Both looked to be in almost new condition. I looked at the first one thinking how much better it was than the one I'd looked at earlier in the morning. As I checked out the second one I noticed it was sporting a set of Pachmayr rubber grips and it felt good in hand. Come to find out it came with a Mil. type holster, a set of black hard plastic grips,a set of brown hard plastic grips with the lanyard loop,and 3 extra mags. While I was checking this one out two men come in looking for a Mak. One of the guys owned one and had told his friend how much he liked them. I wasn't about to let this one get back in the case, after they checked out the other one and failed to do the deal. The owner and I put our heads together to see if we could meet in the middle. I got out the door for $232.00 which I don't think was too shabby, especially with all that came with it. I'd give the finish a 98 -99 new. I knew I'd seen the owner somewhere before, as we talked I remembered he was in the CCW class with me. He told me that he normally had 100 - 150 pistols in stock but he'd turned over his stock and was planning to get more in soon. Well you can bet he got added to the "honey hole" list. I like to hear more about the Mak. I've done some research and had gotten lots of positive feed back on them.

The Makarov is the most reliable mil-surp pistol that I have fired. I have the Bulgarian model picked it up last year for $175 with the military set up, but only 2 mags. My uncle, the pistol guru of the family, was expecting it jam or misfire when I showed it to him. He was very impressed with it after 30 or so rounds. He liked it so much that when his friend was looking for a mouse gun at a gun show, he turned him onto the Makarov. I have yet to have a misfire... feels good in the hand... easy to shoot for my kids...

It is very accurate, due to the pinned barrel. It can be changed to the .380 (which where mine is going- due to a wider variety of less expensive ammo and better defensive ammo). There are even a couple of .22 conversions for it, too.

Check out www.Makarov.com you will learn more than you wanted.

Mak 'N Roll
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Regards, Richard

My four Maks:

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I ordered a holster and belt from Eric Larsen today and while talking to him he gave me a couple of good pointers, such as a #19 recoil spring from Wollf. As soon as I get it all in I'll be posting pictures.

VIP Member
    Love my two Maks....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Good to go in any collection, IMHO.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That'll be my next gun purchase once the G19 comes home. I look at it like the Bersa, a well kept secret and heck of a value.
    Jack

I took my MAK to Gunsite for my CCW when in AZ every one laughed until 2 high end guns quit in the middle of the class, but my MAK went well over 400 rounds with 0 problems. I now carry it with 19# wolf spring and 115gr silver bear JHP ammo.

Links