Any of Your Carry Guns Have Internal Locks

This is a discussion on Any of Your Carry Guns Have Internal Locks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only have 2 guns that have them my 1911 loaded which is easy to remove havnt got around to it yet .. Then My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any of Your Carry Guns Have Internal Locks

Any of Your Carry Guns Have Internal Locks

I only have 2 guns that have them my 1911 loaded which is easy to remove havnt got around to it yet ..

Then My Hk has one which is disapointing as much as it cost Now i dont Carry Either a Ton so i dont worry about them to much i know most people dont like internal locks and neither do i..

Does anyone carry one with a lock and worry about it breaking and rendering the gun unuseable

2. Remove Ads

Murphy's law keeps creeping back into my head. KISS is a great acronym. The more parts that can fail increases the likelihood that somethign will in fact fail. None on any of mine nor would I buy one with an internal lock if it had the remote chance of being rotated into carry duty.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Nope; I only have one handgun with an integral lock. It's a Taurus M94 (.22 LR). It's a pretty simple design (very unlikely to break or engage accidentally), and the sidearm is a plinker (definitely not CCW piece).

I agree; KISS; The integral lock will prevent me from seriously considering any of the new S&W snubbies (the ultra-small .45 ACP, for instance).

The "mainspring housing" lock (such as Springfield has adopted) is, as already noted, easy to remove, so it would not deter me should I happen on a good deal on a Springfield M1911.

HELL NO

Unless they stop making guns without them I never will :eviltongu

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    There's a lock on my 3" .357 J-frame 60-15. It self-engaged one time when I oafishly knocked the unloaded gun from a countertop to the hardwood floor (I've posted about this since it happened, on various boards). The "gun-locked" flag did NOT raise, but the gun was locked up. After a couple of seconds' thought, I went into the safe, dug out the S&W hardcase, and found the keys. Unlocking the lock fixed the problem, and it's not recurred. Nevertheless, I now keep one of the keys on my keyring, figuring that dropping the revolver is the kind of thing that Murphy could cause to happen during an incident in which I need the gun to work.

After That Erich i sure dont think i would carry it some scary stuff there

It did, but now its disabled. All I had to do was replace the insides of my MSH and reinstall.

Lead Moderator
    yep , but I never use it. Was concerned that with use it would loosen up and maybe accidently engage. It never has and is fairly stiff to use, but I never do.

Administrator

None

None of my guns have any internal locking devices.
    I can envision certain situations where they could cause more problems than they would solve.
    Like maybe a newbie gun owner pointing a pistol at somebody & pulling the trigger while saying: "Don't Worry I Locked It!"
    There is only so much that you can ever do to "idiot proof" anything and a good idiot will find his way right around all idiot proofing devices.
    A GOOD idiot can SOMEHOW find a way to choke to death on a "Nerf Ball"

Internal locking devices are good (I guess) only because (in a Left Wing Liberal World) the internal locks shift the liability away from the gun maker & back onto the gun owner ~ where the liability belongs in the first place!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've got a taurus 85, but its rarely carried, and the lock on it never bothered me, as hard as it is to lock I dont see it coming on by accident.

I have a Springer on layaway and will get rid of the lock on it, not because its a lock, but its in an arched MSH and I prefer flat ones.

On two S&W revolvers, but does not worry me. The two documented cases of locking while being fired were in ti guns with very heavy loads.

Always carry three guns anyway so not a problem, even if it happened.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

My Taurus Millenium PT140 came with one. Pretty nice. Never used!

Since this is my car gun, my house gun and my CCW gun, I want it ready for use at all times. Locking it up would be like padlocking my fire extinquishers. When I need them, I need them NOW!

I keep waiting to see if my new Taurus 444Ti locks up with heavy loads - has the hammer rear mounted lock.

It didn't bat an eye when I threw 300 gr Cor-bons through it, even though my wrists did.

I'm at about 250 rounds through it thusfar without a hitch - if I get to 1000 with no incidents, I'll trust it for more than casual carry.

Neither my regular Sig nor older S&W have them at all, but truthfully, I'm not horribly worried about internal locks compared to the overall complexity of the firearms they're mounted in.

If it survives a 500ish round breakin without having any problem, I'll trust it in the world, lock or no lock.

VIP Member
    Does anyone carry one with a lock and worry about it breaking and rendering the gun unuseable

Not until now

I had actually forgotten that my USP compact 40 had an internal lock....it hasn't caused any problems after several thousand rounds. Of course Mr. Murphy is probably looking over my shoulder, just waiting.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    You know, my Taurus 415Ti 21-oz .41 mag snub had the Taurus lock. I fired some fierce loads through it with no problem. Looking at the Taurus lock, I just can't see it inadvertantly self-activating.

Unlike the S&W lock . . . maybe S&W ought to license the Taurus design (hee, hee).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links