My first Glock.

This is a discussion on My first Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I've been a diehard 1911 shooter for years so this was sort of a shock to my system. Lately it seems that carrying the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Glock.

My first Glock.

Okay, I've been a diehard 1911 shooter for years so this was sort of a shock to my system. Lately it seems that carrying the Mil-Spec all day has really been wearing me out and after a day at the range my back would be screaming from absorbing all the recoil (medical problems).

I drove out to my local gun shop yesterday to handle a G19 and check prices. Talked to the owner and the only one he had in stock was a brown frame, not bad looking at all but not what I expected. I've bought about ten handguns from him over the years so he said he'd make me a deal if I wanted it. The thing fit my grip perfectly and pointed 100% naturally - BIG difference from the 30, 36 and 10mm's I'd checked out last time! He knocked off about $40 so I went ahead and put it on layaway.

I've really never had anything against Glocks in general, just never found one that felt good in my hands ... until yesterday. I plan on adding a set of Tru-glo TFO night sights when it comes home and then stocking up on ammo and spare mags. I expect this will quickly become my primary carry weapon.

To all my fellow 1911 fanatics, I'm keeping my Mil-Spec as a home defense weapon along with my Mossbergs. Still prefer the .45 but necessity dictates I switch to a polymer 9mm for carry. BTW, this is all that Brommeland guy's fault - he talked me into it so ... blame him! (Thanks buddy!)
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new shoot-iron...er...space-aged...er...the thingy that goes boom!

I, too, like my 1911...but...there is a time and place for XD, Glock, etc. I find that follow up shots with the G-26 are about like I can do with my 1911...once I got used to the trigger reset point. It's every bit as accurate, at least in my hands, as the 1911, too.

Stay safe,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Here's a divine revelation for you: a complete set of spare parts (everything but barrel, slide and frame) for the 19 will cost about $85, with a bit of shopping. For the 1911, heh, heh.....BTDT!

Congrats! A Glock 19 is a great handgun.

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Congrats on becoming a Glock owner. I have several and the G19 is a GOOD one. You made a wise choice.

Welcome to the GLOCK family.

Good choice on a fine weapon. I own one as well. Although, I'm surprised that you did not like the 30. I recently aquired one and it feels great in my hand. It is the only Glock that I own that I did not put Hogue grips on.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Good choice! You said it was a "brown" one...did you mean OD green? I have a G22 in OD green and absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Actually, I'll probably never own another black Glock...except for a 2nd Generation G23...if I ever find one!

VIP Member
    GED, I need to consolidate to either second or third generation myself. So, if you want to trade a 3rd gen for my second, I'll be happy to do it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Good choice in the 19 there. I love mine but it gets rarely carried due to the new BHP and Kahr TP-9, but I still love my 19 for IDPA (its a natural for that sport) and it served me well as a duty weapon for a couple years.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    GED, I need to consolidate to either second or third generation myself. So, if you want to trade a 3rd gen for my second, I'll be happy to do it.
    You got a 2nd Gen G23? Really? What part of OK are you in?

VIP Member
    The Stillwater area, I'm in the OKC area often.

It is in good shape other than some significant holster wear. The slide needs to be refinished.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I just bought a G26. My first Glock as well and it looks like I may be hooked.

The G19 is one of my favorite CCW pistols. Small in size, holds lots of ammo and mondanely reliable.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Welcome to the dark side. You will like it here.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

just dont let any of the nonsence go to your head from those guys at glocktalk.com
    Hang on I saw this in a movie one time..................:flamethrowingsmiley for idpa match video click here http://www.youtube.com/v/-P3L4XfmWOg or http://www.youtube.com/v/cBkz7uZEzYs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links