What shall my choice be? - Page 2

What shall my choice be?

This is a discussion on What shall my choice be? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; perhaps try a Keltec? They have a slim profile so would be easier for deep concealment. Also check out the c tac holsters for deeper ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What shall my choice be?

Lead Moderator
    perhaps try a Keltec? They have a slim profile so would be easier for deep concealment. Also check out the c tac holsters for deeper concealment and (in my opinion ) better weapon retention(albeit slower draw). Best advice is get totally comfortable with carrying so you are not adjusting the holster , therefore arising suspision of carry. Once you decide on a carry gun and holster try to shake it loose with jumping and running. If it stays with all that you have a winner. Good luck.
    http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html

I have to say that considering your perimeters, a smith J-frame is ideal. I've carried one as a second gun for 20 years. The little 5 shot has saved a lot of bacon over the years. I use a S&W 340sc now. It is so light, I don't notice it. I use a moderate .357 load. Remington 125gr Golden Sabre. This gun is easy to hide and easy to get to. You will need alot of trigger time to learn a j-frame gun. It would be an ideal BUG to anything else you decide to carry later.

Your climate is very similar to ours in Dallas. And you will appreciate light weight in the summer, especially if you decide to employ pocket carry in cargo shorts or dockers.

Another option is the Kahr PM9. It is also a very small gun and you may ditto most all information for it. I just prefer the enclosed hammer area for a gun carried deeply concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Well, I see that you guys have pretty well done my job for me. (no objections, at all).

Revolvers and most modern autos don't have manual safeties so my suggestion would be to keep an auto in condition 3, that is, with a full magazine but unchambered. That way if someone did get ahold of it they would have to figure out how to make it go bang.
    Just a thought.

All of the guns mentioned for you are reliable and dependable. Pick one that you feel most comfortable with and that you shoot well.
    I like your suggestion-another advantage is an auto with a PC magazine where if its not in the gun it cannot fire. I know of one deputy who would release the magazine(it would still be in the gun just sticking down slightly) if he was in an area of court where someone could grab his gun. This would prevent the gun from firing.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Thumbs up Great Comments

My one real concern would be the fact that his is working/caring for the mentally ill.
    I envisioned a possibility that a patient could have a tantrum or a bad temper episode.
    In that case he might need to subdue, restrain, & calm that individual.
    If arms were flying and grabbing all over the place then his mode of carry is going to be VERY important.
    After all, he wouldn't be fending off an "attacker" but would be trying to cope (at very close quarters) with a possible frenzied patient in his care.
    That person would (out of necessity) be much closer to his body than I would ever let a potential assailant. Just a thought.
    And I sure do still like the idea of a light weight J~Frame Smith.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, very good point. This may not be the best for everyone, but has worked well for me.

I wear a j frame cross draw, under a tucked in shirt. About 9 o'clock position. I used to clip my pager on my belt on the outside of the gun. Now I put my NEXTEL there. If someone bumped into me, they think it is a phone/pager.

This is very secure and can be reached with either hand. I have fought, grappled, jumped fences and arested I don'tknow how many folks with this mode of carry without a problem. This seems to work well in plain clothes as well as uniform. The cylinder is below the belt line and the grip above. A belly band works good here too. Thay're just not comfortable for me.

Wearing a cover garmet may be a whole other story. This mode relates to what Mr. Shonts may require.

Just to clarify a bit more...the menatlly Ill that I deal with are able enough to live on their own so the possibility of them trying to attack me is very slim. The majority of clients that I deal with are a very small threat to me when it comes to thinking of an attack but there are a few that I take extra measures in meeting with since I know that at any moment they might do something stupid.

One quick story here that has especially gotten me interested in carrying; I picked up a client of mine that was having a manic episode and took this person to our offices and then later had to transport this person to the hospital. Later on I found out he had a knife on him and was threating to cut himself or others around him. Needless to say that he did not end up attacking me but I was not comfortable with the thought of him having a weapon on him and I had nothing to defend myself except my two hands.

A lot has still been running through my mind as to what I should try firing next but Betty has been doing her best in trying to teach me what she knows.

Administrator

Bad Habit Of Mine

Not making myself perfectly clear.
    I did not mean that you would/could be under attack by the folks that are in your care.

Only that they would likely be allowed much closer to your physical person than you or I would ever allow any random ~ stranger or attacker.

My wonderful niece works with kids that have various assorted problems.
    She is always getting grabbed, hugged, hit, tugged upon, two mouth bites (to date) & sometimes her kids are downright impossible to deal with.
    That might be a problem for you that you'll maybe need to be really extra careful about.

It's also really not my place to tell anyone how to violate the agreed upon terms of their employment.
    So...just in general you might want to consider the deepest most secure & safe carry option possible should you ever make the personal decision to carry at your job.
    I am just "tossing things "out there" for consideration by others also.
    Lots of other folks just visit the forum to read & learn.
    Maybe an extremely secure steel "bolted in vehicle lock box" might be another possible option to think about.
    Perhaps one equipped with one of those nifty "fingerprint identification features" so you don't need to fiddle with a combination, numeric keypad, or key to get it open. Just another thought.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 16th, 2005 at 12:42 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cool

Boy, a lot of good info put out on this. The only other thing I might think about in your case would be a S&W snub in .38/.357 and use an "ankle" holster. Obviously that eliminates wearing shorts !

Lead Moderator
    Or maybe check out a Makarov, if you are on a budget. Small and easier to conceal. Personally , since you have to be really discrete to carry I think smaller is better. And more concealed the better. Find some sort of deep cover holster.

I'm not a big fan of them as I like more bang for the punch, but the one thing here that hasn't been mentioned are the classic double-barreled over/under derringers. The profile is MUCH smaller than anything else out there and you can get a respectable cartridge. Just don't make the mistake of going for the mega .44 mag or the silliness I've seen some folks try in handling them.

Trigger stubs are generally pretty lousy, and they require practice to be good with - but you could easily carry two and be invisible to the masses at large. They're also cheap, running < $150 for a new one in most places in .38/.357 and related calibers.

One other option is to find a OLDER OMC/TDE 380 Backup, or Stainless Waother PPKS.
    The oplder OMC/TDE (AMT Backup) was very reliable. They came with a steel follower that you could modify to accept a 6th round. (they were 5+1 from the factory) the fact you'd have a grip safety plus an extra round to utilize might make a difference.
    The OMC/TDE's came with walnut grips in case you see one. They retail for around 200.00 .. Just my 2 cents worth as I've owned and traded a few of em. Just always wanted something more and I traded up for other weapons, but never due to having malfunctions with them.

There is a indoor rnage over in Joelton that i alwy's go to and shoot, they have a rental program and they rent all of the Glock model's and other's also.

The name of the place Academy of Self Protection it is off of exit 35 on I-24 heading towards Clarksville, the owner Rob is a great guy to deal with and the rental fee is only $10.00 and you pay that one time and you can keep switching between any of them.

Are you wanting to carry at your work, in your vehicle, to and from work, all the time or only when Betty is angry?

I wouldn't violate my employers rules personally. Should you be fired for that kind of violation, it could harm your career in that field. I'm not sure if that worries to you, but it is a consideration.

The company I work for is posted, so I keep it in my vehicle while at work. Beyond my work in the plant, what I do is none of their business.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

An individual's personal safety is more important than worrying about getting canned from your job. You can always get another job, but you can't get out of the morgue.

If typical work attire is a tucked in button down shirt with a tie, the most discreet practical way to go undetected is a with quality ankle rig. A S&W J-frame or a Glock 26 would be ideal. Pocket carry is also to be considered, except access is severely restricted while seated.

From personal experience, tuckable IWB rigs aren't discreet enough to be practical. Belly bands work better. Smart carry holsters are impractical and uncomfortable. Pager pals are ridiculous.

Good luck!

Triggertime...Getting fired isn't the only consideration. Trespassing laws vary wildly from state to state. Businesses are private property in most areas. Private property owners have the right to post and to make their employees follow rules.

While I agree that many corporate anti-gun policies are dumb, I don't think we should encourage someone new to CC to begin by violating the rules. If you wish to risk your firearms ownership and concealed carry privilages thats up to you. We can be our own worst enemies.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links