Glock conversion barrel

Glock conversion barrel

This is a discussion on Glock conversion barrel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Gen4 Glock 23 and considering a 9mm conversion barrel for it. My question is how is reliability in regards to extraction on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Glock conversion barrel

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Glock conversion barrel

I have a Gen4 Glock 23 and considering a 9mm conversion barrel for it. My question is how is reliability in regards to extraction on the Gen4 when running 9mm in a 40? I remember reading on past generations that some people would get an occasional jam. Now I will be using this strictly for range use and not for carry. Just looking for a little savings on ammo costs which we all know equals more fun time.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Some have extraction problems but the number is so few I wouldn't worry for range work. You'll need a 9mm mag also.
    fotomaker57 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Some have extraction problems but the number is so few I wouldn't worry for range work. You'll need a 9mm mag also.
    I figure with a storm lake barrel and a couple of mags I can make the switch for a couple of hundred dollars. A big savings over the cost of another Glock.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If for range time why not just get the .22 conversion it may cost a little more up front but you will save it in ammo in the long run.

VIP Member
    I haven't done your particular proposed conversion, but in addition to the magazine, I would also include the proper recoil spring. I've not bothered swapping out extractors and haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    If for range time why not just get the .22 conversion it may cost a little more up front but you will save it in ammo in the long run.
    I prefer a little more kick than a 22 can provide. Shooting the 9 is not that much different than the 40 so I'd like to stay with that.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I haven't done your particular proposed conversion, but in addition to the magazine, I would also include the proper recoil spring. I've not bothered swapping out extractors and haven't had any problems.
    I haven't heard of many switching the recoil spring, is that important in this usage?
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a lone wolf, and Korean mag and with good ammo it hiccups about once or twice every couple mags. I don't change anything besides barrel and mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I have a lone wolf, and Korean mag and with good ammo it hiccups about once or twice every couple mags. I don't change anything besides barrel and mag.
    Just out if curiosity, why the Korean mags? Just cost savings or something else?
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I have a Glock 22, Lone Wolf barrel and 9mm Korean mag because at the time the Glocks were made of unobtainium, they seem to work fine, can see no difference other than no Glock markings.
    fotomaker57 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinglock32 View Post
    What is .22? I haven't seen any in the stores in almost a year!
    fotomaker57 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've been using Lone Wolf conversion barrels in my G27 and G33 rotating between .40, 9MM and .357 Sig for at least three years with NEVER a problem. Just make sure to use 9MM mags with that conversion. .40 Mags are okay with the .357 Sig.
    Bad Bob and fotomaker57 like this.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    I haven't heard of many switching the recoil spring, is that important in this usage?
    No, its not. Your guns original RSA will work fine presuming its in good condition of course.
    Bad Bob and fotomaker57 like this.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Just switch the extractor out and you should be problem free, as long as you are using the 9mm mags.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    I did the same but found that my Glock 23 jammed a lot with the 9mm conversion barrel so I returned it and bought a 19. I have never tried that again.
    FlaRon and fotomaker57 like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links